spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD

Possible to show caller ID on tv? (using Obi202/Anveo/GV)

Hi,

Quick question, not sure if this is possible..
I still have VZ Digital Voice for now, the caller ID used to show on TV when someone calls on the fios number..
Since I have disconnected the phone line at the dmarc in the house so I can use the OBi202 for the whole house (which btw works great!!! so far) and forwarded the calls from VZ DV number to the anveo number (planning on canceling VZ DV service and port the number) .... the caller ID's do not show on TV anymore for neither of all 3 numbers (VZ DV, Anveo or GV), is it possible to do this somehow? caller ID shows just fine on phones is just the TV's I am wondering about.

Just curious if there is anything I need to do the OBi202 unit to allow this. Appreciate any input/information...

Thanks!

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld

You'd have to hack into your Verizon TV equipment.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to aa2k

The short answer is No. The VZ digital voice is not voip. Also, this feature is managed via VZ's network via the ONT and the Actiontech router and settings in your account profile managed via the web. Once you cancel(d) the DV service it's gone.

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD
reply to aa2k

Thanks for the information guys... I figured that much, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important..

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to aa2k

There's a way to do this when using Tivo. It's a Tivo hack. Since Tivo originally used an analog phone line to get it's schedule data it was able to sniff the line for caller-ID info when an incoming call arrives.

IPfaxer

join:2010-10-24
reply to aa2k

yes, easily with Dish Network for example, depends on your TV provider

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3
reply to aa2k

You can switch to DirecTV. They offer that feature with their receivers. I have service from Anveo on a SPA2102 connected to my house wiring. The numbers show up on the TV screen on the receivers that are connected to the phone line.

kittyburgers

join:2012-01-31
reply to aguen

If VZ Digital Voice isn't VoIP, what is it?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Optimum Voice
·Vitelity VOIP

1 edit

said by kittyburgers:

If VZ Digital Voice isn't VoIP, what is it?

First off, VZ Digital Voice is the name for the [digital] phone service that runs with Verizon FiOS.

Reference A:
»www22.verizon.com/home/phone/fio···alvoice/

Verizon in some areas and situations has a [NON-digital] phone service that runs with Verizon FiOS. It's really POTS with FiOS. And as POTS, there is an extra "FCC Subscriber Line Charge" which does NOT occur with VoIP or with VZ Digital Voice. As the next reference indicates, Verizon is phasing this service out.

Reference B:
»Verizon moves more into true VoIP

------------------

Now, contradicting some of the above, why would one maintain that VZ Digital Voice (or AT&T U-Verse's phone service) isn't truly VoIP?

Because it doesn't primarily travel over the public Internet. It goes over discrete (and hopefully discreet) channels.

It rides with the 1 percent, not the 99 percent.

The same can be said of Comcast Digital Voice, Optimum Voice, and so forth....

....True, THERE we are talking about cable, not fiber.

But the point remains that it is not dependent on the riff-raff of the internet.

It's almost a philosophical question. Some people do consider it VoIP, under the feeling that if it's not copper POTS, not cellular, not telepathic, then it's VoIP.

And as I understand it the protocols are not quite the same as common VoIP. More akin to MGCP rather than H.323. But I leave that to the Scotty types.

IPfaxer

Just to clarify in case people do not know, Verizon phone service over Verizon FIOS is gorgeous, battery backed up per location, and is not interrupted when internet service over FIOS has issues. It also does not run through the FIOS routers provided. It is a form of VOIP but it's details are proprietary.

In terms of faxing, Verizon telephone service over FIOS it is as good as any POTS landline for faxing for even the fastest fax transmission speeds, basically perfect, in contrast to conventional fax over VOIP (FOIP) which can be good but has limitations and issues.

Basically Verizon's proprietary implementation of VOIP (and their ONTs have a built in ATA) is as perfect as any any clear POTS landline. That does not mean it always sounds better than a traditional VOIP carrier, but it means it sounds just like you would expect a POTS line to sound, and always.

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
reply to aa2k

VoIP does not require SIP. Nor does it require transit via the public internet. Both the services mentioned are likely "VoIP"...just not SIP over the public internet.

IPfaxer

good points

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
reply to aa2k

BillAustin stole my answer. DirecTV has a CID on screen that works with most anything. LOL.