Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrLouKy

join:2010-09-18
Louisville, KY

1 edit

[Equipment] New Modem Fee? Louisville, KY Market

Just noticed on new bill will start being charged next month for a monthly modem fee. Guess TWC is implementing this; never been charged for my modem before.

Anyone use a Motorola SB5101U (DOCSIS 2.0) modem? I intend to stay with my 10 meg service so don't need to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. If TWC is going to charge us for a modem might as well buy my own.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
Assuming you're using their modem, you should have been getting charged the whole time for it.

If you are only just now being charged, consider yourself lucky.

jpatton1979

join:2011-08-10
Lexington, KY
It used to be that you were charged $5/month for 12 months, then you owned the modem. Now it's a continual lease of $3/month if you use an Insight/TWC-provided modem.

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY
reply to aciddrink
said by aciddrink:

Assuming you're using their modem, you should have been getting charged the whole time for it.

If you are only just now being charged, consider yourself lucky.

Is that a smirk you're delivering with that reply? Consider you own self unlucky if you've been paying a modem lease fee for years; because here in Louisville the people I know have never paid a modem lease fee. This is something new because of TWC; if that's their policy, then so be it. But Insight never charged me before.

Now, if someone could answer my question about the Motorola SB5101U modem and whether or not it works with Insight/TWC broadband, I would appreciate it.

Mystic95Z

join:2005-05-10
Sellersburg, IN
reply to KrLouKy
I'm using a SB5101 with insight and it works just fine.

smashcraft
Premium
join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..
reply to KrLouKy
Thanks for the heads up KRLou. I need to keep an eye on my bill. When I first signed up for Insight in 2010, I remember buying my modem for 50.00 or something like that. They broke it up for a few months if I am not mistaking, but I had thought I owned it. I will keep an eye on it and cancel my service if they start charging me a fee. I cannot get my own modem since I have the 2.0 phone.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to Mystic95Z
said by KrLouKy:

Is that a smirk you're delivering with that reply?

Not at all. Here in Lexington they've been charging modem rental fees for as long as I've been here. Being as I don't live in Louisville, how was I expected to know it would be different there than here?

KrLouKy

Louisville, KY
reply to KrLouKy
Sorry Acid, no offense intended, I'm just getting a little touchy about these ever increasing fees. We're getting nickel and dimed to death with new increases and added fees for everything from the cable/internet industry to airline fees, etc. It's getting a little old. Inflation is supposed to be at an all time low over the last few years, but you sure wouldn't know it from looking at my regular bills, I assure you.

jpatton1979

Lexington, KY
reply to KrLouKy
"Here in Lexington they've been charging modem rental fees for as long as I've been here."

I've been here since 2004 and back then if Insight provided a modem it was a $5/month charge for 12 months. After that you owned the modem and was never charged again, unless you had Insight provide a new modem then the charges started again. Not sure when they moved to the continual monthly lease charge (if they even did prior to the TWC acquisition) as I've been using my own purchased modem for quite some time (recently upgraded to a SB6121).

At least that's how it was for me, so I just assume (yes, I know what "assuming" does, lol) it was the same for everyone in Lexington.

smashcraft
Premium
join:2011-06-15
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Southeast
·Insight Communic..
reply to KrLouKy
I saw the notice on my bill today about the 3.95 lease fee. I called Insight and asked and apparently the lady in bill pay told me if I paid for my modem I would not pay the lease fee. She was extremely short and a little rude to my questions so I left it at that. I will see what happens when I get my bill next month. If I have the fee, I will call and see what they say. I am concerned as I cannot provide my modem as they do not support telephone modems. I have the 2.0 phone service and have to use Insight's modem. I am getting a little irritated with all the fees attached to everything these days.

jpatton1979

Lexington, KY
reply to KrLouKy
I got a call from an Insight lead (I don't remember his actual title) named Josh last night regarding an FCC complaint I filed against them regarding their policies that for Broadband 30.0 and 50.0 that you have to use an Insight-provided modem and are charged a $20 truck-roll to bring it out. He was checking through his records/memos and told me they had been informed that starting January 1 all customers using an Insight-provided modem will be charged the $3.95/month lease fee. I let him know f that's the case they had better start letting customers provide/use their own DOCSIS3 modems for the 30.0 and 50.0 tiers or else they'll have a LOT of disgruntled customers.

Just an FYI.

BoToMaTiC

join:2003-10-29
Louisville, KY
If that's the case, they better start providing support for their provided modems like start by updating the firmwares on them. Every modem I had from Insight and now the ARRIS TM502G with TWC, they had an outdated firmware on em.

Obummer

join:2013-01-13
Louisville, KY
reply to KrLouKy
New $3.95 monthly charge on my January 2013 statement for "Internet Modem Lease". Not right, as I was charged a $50 modem purchase fee at installation of Insight modem in April '12. I called customer service and they said the monthly lease fee will be removed. Good thing I review the statements... although the price increase was an easy trigger for that. I think that they previously did not charge for modems, purchase or lease.

El_Borracho

join:2004-09-04
Princeton, IN
They dinged me for the lease fee as well, and I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to customer service. I've purchased my own modems since replacing the old sharkfin from the @home days.