spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scmobileman

join:2012-12-05

Upgrading condo's basic cable in Myrtle Beach, SC

I recently moved into an oceanfront resort in Myrtle Beach, SC and I'm doing all I can do expand on the resort's basic cable package. Time Warner services this area and carries the basic cable now offered in my condo. However TW is telling me that this location is not setup to allow for additional services because it's all handled through one bill. The resort is either clueless or playing that way.

So my question is has anyone faced a similar situation? Is there anything I can say or do to get the upgrade? FWIW, this is a new building with all the wiring in place to make this happen and we pay a ridiculous amount for the POA here so it seems only logical to expect a little more help from the resort.

One other question. I have rental properties in the area, if I were to upgrade my cable at one of those locations and then rent an additional box could I then bring that box to my new home at the resort?

BTW, I'm open to any suggestion you may have. I work at home 16+ hours a day and having 35 channels is going to drive me insane. I'm not afraid to spend the money if I can find a way to get this done.

Thanks!

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
I have a similar situation here in the Rio Grande Valley market out on South Padre Island. In my case our condo HOA pays TW for basic/standard analog cable TV service. We pay for that in our HOA fees.

Now in my case I simply drive over to the Brownsville, Texas TW office and rent a HD DVR and whatever add on packages I want and pay the difference. This year they have a special running and I get my additional service for $28 per month. That includes a Cisco 8742HDC DVR, the TW Movie Pass, local HD channels, standard HD channels including CNN, ESPN, Fox Sports SW for example and Digital HD Channels including the Weather Channel HD, BBC America HD, etc.

Personally I have no idea what the HOA pays TW for the basic/standard cable package.

In the past I did talk to our condo management contractor and they gave me the master account number the HOA has with TW. I have found that in the last two years or so I simply did not even need that though. The friendly folks at the TW office simply looked up the service address, noted we had the basic and standard service and let me rent the DVR and services. Note the TW service address is very important. In our case the service address is different than the physical address assigned by the City of SPI for some reason. Weird but that's the way it is.

I don't know if it would be appropriate or not but you might post to the TW Direct forum.

»Time Warner Cable Direct

NOTE the ground rules and be patient waiting for help...

scmobileman

SoonerAl thanks for the response. I'm in the same situation, with the basic cable being part of my home owners here at the resort.

Every time I talk to TW they tell me it can't be done but you can tell they never really want to try. All of my rentals properties in this area have tenants that have added on to the basic cable and I can't understand why it has been so difficult for me.

I'm determined to get it done. Right now I'm looking at every option I can think of including using the FCC ruling that allows me to have a dish installed, putting a Slingbox at a friend or family member's house, etc.

Thanks again.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
Are you trying to add services by calling TW or have you gone to a physical TW store to add services? If its the former you may have better luck visiting a physical TW store.

scmobileman

said by SoonerAl:

Are you trying to add services by calling TW or have you gone to a physical TW store to add services? If its the former you may have better luck visiting a physical TW store.

I've tried by phone and I agree going in will be easier. However I ran into a sales rep for TW and he checked on it for me and when I called him he said his boss said it wouldn't be possible.

I'll go by their office tomorrow and find out for sure.

Steeve
Premium
join:2004-08-19
reply to scmobileman
When a building/condo contracts for basic and/or extended cable for all tenants, the account falls under TWC "bulk" services, and regular service reps don't know how to handle additions for individual apartments to those accounts. TWC has a bulk services department, and you can usually set up (and just pay for) those additional services not included under the bulk contract for the building, such as dvr or internet. The additional services are billed directly to you. Of course, your complex may have a unique deal that does not permit this.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
? I am a regular rep and we do know how to handle bulk accounts. I have set up hundreds and made additions to dozens of others. All the codes and offers available are listed right on the house screen.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
"I am a regular rep and we do know how to handle bulk accounts. I have set up hundreds and made additions to dozens of others. All the codes and offers available are listed right on the house screen. '

Seconded.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

jacko15

@rr.com
Keep trying, it can be done. I even had the phone service added to my brother-in-law's cable bulk account at a disabled vets state run institution. I did what SoonerAl said and went directly to the physical office. I hooked it up myself and it was basically plug and play. I went through the same run around you're going through with the phone reps. Even when I found one who thought I could do it, she told me I'd need a truck roll and that wasn't necessary. I even had the bill sent to our home so my brother-in-law wouldn't have to worry about it.

scmobileman

reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"I am a regular rep and we do know how to handle bulk accounts. I have set up hundreds and made additions to dozens of others. All the codes and offers available are listed right on the house screen. '

Seconded.

Hob

Thanks everyone. I'm heading over to the office soon, any suggestions on what I need to tell them?

scmobileman

1 edit
Ok so here is what I found out. Went to the TW office and dealt with the rudest person I've encountered in a long time. She wouldn't even allow me to speak to a supervisor.

So I left and went to my home owners association and they were very helpful. We made a few calls to TW and finally got a guy that actually knew what was going on. The problem is my resort isn't listed as a bulk account but rather a hospitality account. They are going to look at the account and see if I have any options and I'm supposed to hear back from them by Monday.

Anyone familiar with hospitality accounts and if so do you think this can be done?

BTW, if I can't add my own account does anyone know if bringing a box from another house would work here since we have TW at both?

G0d

join:2012-11-29
did you ever try posting in the direct forums? They are usually pretty good at responding to your questions.

scmobileman

said by G0d:

did you ever try posting in the direct forums? They are usually pretty good at responding to your questions.

I just posted over there as well so perhaps they will have some info for me.