Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Arctucas

@wideopenwest.com
reply to Arctucas

Re: Three modems failed?

@AlexE4,

No logs for the (Zoom) modem, unfortunately.

Signal levels for the eight downstream channels fluctuate between -4.5 dbmV and -0.8 dbmV when it is working. When it drops out, I get only downstream channel, and the level is usually around -8.1 dbmV.

I also believe it is a signal issue, because I am experiencing tiling and freezing on the TV as well.

@aes128,

Of course they will not tell us any particular modem is acceptable (aside from the Surfboard, but that could be Motorola 'incentivizing' WOW for saying it has 'tested' their modems.). But it works well when it works, so why would it drop out for hours and then work for hours?

@XskBer,

I had the tech out last night. It was a strange coincidence that ten minutes before he arrived, the modem starting working, and all the signal levels and such that he checked were good. In fact, he told me that they were 'really good'. I was still working this morning at 6 when I checked it before going to work, but was out when I got home around 4:30. I called WOW up again, (amazingly, it started working again while I was on hold waiting for a CSR) and they are coming out (for the third time in two-and-a-half weeks) on Saturday.

MrMonk

join:2012-11-28
Cleveland, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

If you are seeing -8 and -0.8 then something is wrong with the signal. Could be a loose connection, interference somewhere on the line inside or outside the home. But those levels are too far apart to have a good connection. They change from time to time, but that is a huge discrepancy.

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to Arctucas

I'm surprised they are troubleshooting a non supported modem. They typically do not.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to Arctucas

said by Arctucas :

When it drops out, I get only downstream channel, and the level is usually around -8.1 dbmV.

I also believe it is a signal issue, because I am experiencing tiling and freezing on the TV as well.

Def a signal issue and likely on the upstream end if your seeing US disappear when the connection drops... Tilling would also happen due to signal level issues..

Intermittent signal level issues are pesky to resolve because you can change modems, cable fittings, cable, etc.. and still have issues if you can't catch it at the right point of failure.. I am sure WOW will get to the bottom of this for you...

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:27

I think everyone responding pretty much hit it on the head. It sounds like there's some issue that is causing signal fluctuations in the home. This could be something like a loose connector, a bad splitter, water in a connection somewhere outside, or even a device in the home generating noise on the coax lines. You should never fluctuate in levels that much that often, something is definitely wrong.

These issues can sometimes be hard to track down, especially if it's not happening when a technician is on site. My best recommendation would be to have another tech come out and replace as many connectors and splitters as possible, and lines in the home if he can. This can help possibly fix or narrow down the cause of the problem.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

Arctucas

@roehrenbeck.com

@WOW_Dan,

The splitters were all replaced when the inital installation was done the day before Thanksgiving.

The connectors inside are all about three years old. Most of the cabling inside is less than ten years old, some less than four years old.

I have considered recabling the house, but would rather not unless it can be conclusively proved to be defective.

My belief is that the problem lies outside, either with the drop (although it is less than four years old) or the distribution block on the pole (which is probably twenty years old) or further upstream somewhere in the distribution system.

Regarding your comment about noise on the coax, could you provide some examples of possible devices, and what methods to use to determine if that is the cause of the intermittent dropouts and signal level fluctuations?

Thanks

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:27

said by Arctucas :

Regarding your comment about noise on the coax, could you provide some examples of possible devices, and what methods to use to determine if that is the cause of the intermittent dropouts and signal level fluctuations?

Any device that is hooked up to the coax in your home could potentially be defective, and generate noise, but this is a very rare occurrence. Things like this are often an issue outside, between the pole/pedestal and the house, so that is a very good place to start. I was simply mentioning the other potential issues to give you somewhere to work off of should the outside lines check out, or if you still have issues after replacing them.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

Arctucas

@roehrenbeck.com

@WOW_Dan,

Thanks.

I have my cable box, two additional HDTVs, and my PC with a Hauppauge 1850 TV card connected.

MrMonk

join:2012-11-28
Cleveland, OH

Temporarily hook the modem up to the main connection before any splitters. So the cable comes in, gets grounded, then right to modem. If issues still happen than you know the issue is somewhere outside.

Arctucas

@wideopenwest.com

@MrMonk,

That is a good idea, I will try that next time it drops out.