The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit

How do u get 8 channel upstream?

said by chong67:

After I reboot my modem from a cold boot, I have now have 3 channel upstream. I been having one channel all this time.

How do u get 8 channel upstream?

If they are not actually yet configured / available on your local system, you can't..

I don't think that there are 8 upstreams anywhere yet in the Comcast footprint.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Re: Evidence of Upstream Channel Bonding - Post Here

I don't think there is enough room for 8 channels right now. Going much lower in frequency also means more noise. Going higher means changing alot of equipment to allow the higher return frequency.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit

said by andyross:

I don't think there is enough room for 8 channels right now. Going much lower in frequency also means more noise. Going higher means changing alot of equipment to allow the higher return frequency.

Good point andyross See Profile !

There is only so much return path spectrum currently available.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

said by EG:

said by andyross:

Good point andyross See Profile !

There is only so much return path spectrum currently available.

Yes, the most upstream channels I've ever seen so far are 4, with another area in CA, like Berkeley, managing to squeeze in three 64QAM channels and one 16QAM one: »Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA

Also see this previous thread: »4 Upstream Channels

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

Yes, the most upstream channels I've ever seen so far are 4, with another area in CA, like Berkeley, managing to squeeze in three 64QAM channels and one 16QAM one: »Hillsborough/San Mateo, CA

Also see this previous thread: »4 Upstream Channels

8 upstream channels are supported by most DOCSIS 3.0 modems anyway. Ones from the last year or two support it, but anything older than that doesn't.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Actually, I thought current modems only support 4 upstream. I'm too lazy to check if the newer 8-down modems also support 8-up.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1

You might be right. Maybe I got the down and up mixed up.

My modem only supports 4 down and up.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

The latest DOCSIS 3.0 chipsets from Intel ("Puma 6") and Broadcom (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable) are 8-upstream-channels capable, but they would only be able to operate that way on a "mid-split" system where the upstream path extends up to 65 or 85 MHz (currently found mostly in foreign cable systems), rather than the usual (U.S.) one limited to 42 MHz (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable).

See this thread: »Dream Modem - 24x8