Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Pacrat

Re: California Lumber Products Assessment

said by Pacrat:

They couldn't survive without federal assistance.

Just like the rest of the US couldn't survive without all of our agricultural output.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by Oedipus:

said by Pacrat:

Just like the rest of the US couldn't survive without all of our agricultural output.

We would survive just fine... Your products would just become an import like we do from other countries. You aren't as high up on that pedestal as you think you are.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
+1

California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas are going to revert to Mexico in a few years anyhow. There is no way once the ethnic balance tips a little more that Washington will be able to stop it.

Oedipus

reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by Oedipus:

said by Pacrat:

We would survive just fine... Your products would just become an import like we do from other countries. You aren't as high up on that pedestal as you think you are.

Yeah, and we'd nail you for them. Wouldn't need your alleged surplus of federal assistance at that point, now would we? It's a moot point anyway because even though we're a backwards, liberal nanny state that puts the rights of illegals, gays, and the perpetually jobless ahead of everyone else (except for the hollywood types), we're not going anywhere.

Unlike California itself, though, I am going somewhere. Once I get my schooling done, I will be moving elsewhere.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by Oedipus:

even though we're a backwards, liberal nanny state that puts the rights of illegals, gays, and the perpetually jobless ahead of everyone else (except for the Hollywood types), we're not going anywhere.

Unlike California itself, though, I am going somewhere. Once I get my schooling done, I will be moving elsewhere.

Good luck with your schooling and your escape from la-la land.

Oedipus

Thanks. I'm already counting the days...

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Oedipus
said by Oedipus:

said by Pacrat:

Like what? Citrus we can get from Florida and Brazil like always. Grapes are grown all over the US, lettuce and such can be grown just about anywhere. Again we'd do fine. Instead of paying farmers to grow corn or nothing at all they could grow those crops we get from CA.

Oedipus

said by itguy05:

said by Oedipus:

said by Pacrat:

Like what? Citrus we can get from Florida and Brazil like always. Grapes are grown all over the US, lettuce and such can be grown just about anywhere. Again we'd do fine. Instead of paying farmers to grow corn or nothing at all they could grow those crops we get from CA.

My point (veiled though it was) is that it's just as preposterous to say that California would wilt under the removal of "federal funding" as it is to say that the rest of the country could handle not having easy access to California's ag output. It's not really about what can be grown here that can't be elsewhere, it's about the volume that we can and do put out and the infrastructure that is in place to make that happen. Could the rest of the US survive without CA? Of course it could, given a bit of time to adjust. Could we in CA survive without this purported "federal assistance?" Absolutely. Maybe that would mean fewer unionized six-figure earning prison guards and shovel-leaning Caltrans workers.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
reply to ropeguru
Or we wouldn't export to the other C47... Lower food prices here if we've got more of it. Hawaii and Alaska probably wouldn't mind us sending more their way, either.