uniqs
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

Bill_F to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

If you have residential than your IPV6 should be turned on assuming you are behind the "right" CMTS.
This trial is probably only geared towards business customers that want multiple static IPV6 addresses.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Bill_F:

If you have residential than your IPV6 should be turned on assuming you are behind the "right" CMTS.
This trial is probably only geared towards business customers that want multiple static IPV6 addresses.

It has been implied to me that even though I have a business class account, and my SB6121 has a business class config file (d11_m_sb6121_bciwidebandstarter_c05.cm), and I have fully functional native IPv4/IPv6 connectivity, that I don't really have business class IPv6 service.

It will be interesting to see exactly what jlivingood See Profile et al are talking about if/when the proposed shared document (which hopefully might also contain some documentation) is published.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to Bill_F

Premium Member

to Bill_F
There's probably 4 categories of customers:

Residential
Business w/ Customer Owned (i.e. DHCP)
Business w/ SMC or Netgear (i.e. Static)
Business w/ non-HFC installation

The first two probably already have access to IPv6 if their area has been enabled, though which ones this would apply to, I do not know for sure, as I am behind the "wrong" CMTS...
Bill_F
join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

Bill_F

said by AVonGauss:

1. Residential
2. Business w/ Customer Owned (i.e. DHCP)
3. Business w/ SMC or Netgear (i.e. Static)
4. Business w/ non-HFC installation

From what I understand, #1 and #2 cases already have dynamic IPV6, and probably won't get static. #4 probably also already has static I believe, especially since they get straight up metro ethernet now according to the 305 install thread.

So I think this only applies to group #3.

The next question is, does Comcast expect to have to replace everyone's SMCD3G modem to hand out static IPV6.
Since we don't have an answer on this yet, I am going to predict the answer will be yes. SMC has had plenty of time to upgrade the firmware...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to AVonGauss

Premium Member

to AVonGauss
There is also another class of Business Class customers:

Business w/ SMC or Netgear (DHCP)

And a subclass of Busness Class customers using the SMC gateways who will almost definitely need a new "modem" in order to get IPv6:

Business w/ SMC8014 gateway (DOCSIS 2)
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Good point on the SMC 8014 (I still have a mental block regarding that device). I do think however the SMC / Netgear customers whether they are DHCP or static are probably in the same category.