uniqs

Arctucas
@roehrenbeck.com

Arctucas to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan

Re: Three modems failed?

@WOW_Dan,

The splitters were all replaced when the inital installation was done the day before Thanksgiving.

The connectors inside are all about three years old. Most of the cabling inside is less than ten years old, some less than four years old.

I have considered recabling the house, but would rather not unless it can be conclusively proved to be defective.

My belief is that the problem lies outside, either with the drop (although it is less than four years old) or the distribution block on the pole (which is probably twenty years old) or further upstream somewhere in the distribution system.

Regarding your comment about noise on the coax, could you provide some examples of possible devices, and what methods to use to determine if that is the cause of the intermittent dropouts and signal level fluctuations?

Thanks

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by Arctucas :

Regarding your comment about noise on the coax, could you provide some examples of possible devices, and what methods to use to determine if that is the cause of the intermittent dropouts and signal level fluctuations?

Any device that is hooked up to the coax in your home could potentially be defective, and generate noise, but this is a very rare occurrence. Things like this are often an issue outside, between the pole/pedestal and the house, so that is a very good place to start. I was simply mentioning the other potential issues to give you somewhere to work off of should the outside lines check out, or if you still have issues after replacing them.

Arctucas
@roehrenbeck.com

Arctucas

Anon

@WOW_Dan,

Thanks.

I have my cable box, two additional HDTVs, and my PC with a Hauppauge 1850 TV card connected.
MrMonk
join:2012-11-28
Cleveland, OH

MrMonk

Temporarily hook the modem up to the main connection before any splitters. So the cable comes in, gets grounded, then right to modem. If issues still happen than you know the issue is somewhere outside.

Arctucas
@wideopenwest.com

Arctucas

Anon

@MrMonk,

That is a good idea, I will try that next time it drops out.