share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit
reply to connor79

Re: [Voip.ms] Typical time to port out of voip.ms?

For me it took less than 10 days to port from Primus to VOIP.MS

Once you are notified by VOIP.MS that the port was requested its up to the losing carrier to complete the request --- if the losing carrier want to delay and delay VOIP.MS cannot do anything about that. You just have to be very patient.

{EDIT] OOPS .... your going from voip.ms to fido .... I need to reboot my mind.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 recommendation

said by mozerd:

For me it took less than 10 days to port from Primus to VOIP.MS

Once you are notified by VOIP.MS that the port was requested its up to the losing carrier to complete the request --- if the losing carrier want to delay and delay VOIP.MS cannot do anything about that. You just have to be very patient.

First off, the OP is porting away from Voip.ms!

Voip.ms, the "losing" provider ... not the carrier! ... has literally no active role to play in an outbound port to another provider ... be it PSTN, mobile, cablephone, or VoIP.

The end-user (customer) requests the port from the new provider. Usually that customer must open (or already have) an account with the "winning" provider. If the "winning" provider is VoIP, that VoIP company initiates a porting request with its own CLEC (or other type of DID source/carrier) that services the DIDs rate center.

The "winning" CLEC then contacts the "losing" CLEC/carrier ... and if the correct documentation is presented (signed Letter of Agreement, Account Name and Service/Billing address match), a future date is set by the "losing" carrier for the DID's "ownership" to be transferred to the new CLEC. A day or two more is often needed for updating the national/international routing tables so the DID is pointed to new CLEC and, in turn, to the new VoIP provider's server. This scenario reflects a port to a VoIP provider ... which may take anywhere from one to three weeks or more.

In the case of porting to a cellular service, the ports generally occur more quickly ... hours to a day or two ... because most major cellular providers/carriers (cellular companies play both roles) have a dedicated porting department that contacts the "losing" CLEC (or "losing" cellular/PSTN) directly and work the whole thing out in a single session. Even then, the routing tables still take a little time to point the DID to the new destination.

Meanwhile, in the case of porting away from a VoIP provider, the losing provider is rarely notified and, thus, may continue to bill the customer until the customer actually cancels the service. With cellular and PSTN, an outward port immediately cancels the account (in almost all cases).

Warning: Do not cancel the losing VoIP provider account until the port is actually confirmed and incoming calls are arriving at the right place.!!