how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ddanckaert

join:2004-02-14
Gaithersburg, MD

Need help assisting someone with a CenturyLink PK5001Z

I'm sending a new laptop and wireless printer to our inlaws in NC, and I can also send them a nice dual band Apple Airport Extreme as well. My question is whether (a) this is worth doing (maybe the PK5001Z is a great wireless modem), and (b) what I need to do to configure their modem to work effectively with the Airport Extreme as an access point.

If the modem's wireless isn't very good, I presume the easiest and most reliable solution is to simply disable the wireless capability of the modem while retaining its operation of the DHCP server. Thus, I would use the Airport Extreme as an access point in bridged mode.

Can I take this approach without any issues? I've already got the Airport Extreme configured to be purely an Access Point.

Alternatively, and this would probably result in me having to drive 500 miles, I could enable transparent bridging on the Modem and configure the Airport Extreme to also operate as the router. I would prefer to avoid this if at all possible.

Last question: I'm going to remotely connect at some point. When I do I want to see the firewall enabled. Is this the typical arrangement to have it enabled?

Thanks

WeCo890

join:2005-09-09
Santa Rosa, CA
The PK5001z is a good router though it has couple issues. First it is factory set to auto-select wireless channel by default which has compatiblity issues with wi-fi chipsets in both Apple and Samsung products. You must configure the wireless channel in the firmware menu to either 1, 6, or 11 and all devices will connect properly. Second is there are issues with the WPS causing problems. That can also be disabled in the firmware. I know there was supposed to be a firmware update pushed to all PK5001z's on the network. I don't know if that already completed or is still ongoing. That firmware push was to fix those bugs. Overall, I think it is a great router for wireline or wireless use after you correct those two issues. It's much better than the Westell 327W or 7500. It supports wireless speeds up to 150Mbps - 802.11n. You can get to the modem firmware page via 192.168.0.1. It will prompt you for and admistrative login/password. Login is admin, and password is printed on the label on the bottom of the unit. The firmware menu is very user friendly. Click wireless setup button in the middle of the page once you are logged in. Click the "Radio Setup" tab on the left side. Top setting that comes up is channel, change to 1, 6, or 11 and hit apply. Once complete click the WPS tap on the left the click the on/off button that comes up in the center of screeen to disable it. If you choose to use the Airport you can disable the wi-fi entirely by clicking the "Basic Settings" tab on the left and an option to disable it will come up. This will leave the modem with 4 ethernet ports on the rear, it will still do DHCP, and route traffic.

ddanckaert

Gaithersburg, MD
That's what I'm going to do. Use Apple's superior access point with this decent wireline modem/dhcp server. So the simple action i will take is to disable the wireless functionality--a single setting.

Question outstanding: should the modem's firewall setting be enabled? I presume yes. I don't know if it's an additional, more stringent firewall.

Thanks
Expand your moderator at work

WeCo890

join:2005-09-09
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to ddanckaert

Re: Need help assisting someone with a CenturyLink PK5001Z

Looks like there is also an issue with DHCP renew when the router is connected to the internet thru a RedBack Edge router. On DHCP renew you lose internet for approximately 100ms, which can drop your streaming or VPN tunnel if you are using one. They are hoping to have the firmware update finished by 12/14 and start pushing to the routers(20000 per day) around 12/24.

If you are going to just disable the wireless and let the PK5001Z doing the routing, then I would leave the firewall on.

ddanckaert

Gaithersburg, MD
Thanks