spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheMole

join:2001-12-06
USA

Need Help: Is it Possible to stream IP Camera to TV?

I'm purchasing an IP Camera to monitor a section of my property that is not easily viewed from any part of my home. Eventually, i'd like to add more cameras.

[IP cameras seem to be the future, and i'd rather not purchase an analog camera with a propriety DVR system that has no integration with any other device.]

I would like to be able to see the stream on my TV. However, after an exhaustive search on google, it appears that there is no easy way to do this.

I see that some people have used jailbroken appleTV2, or WD Live TVs with custom firmware.

Am i correct in assuming that this is a difficult thing to do?

I'd be willing to dedicate a low powered atom PC to the task, but i'm not sure if that will be doable. And if it is, where to start.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
--
(1) It's either 99¢ or $0.99; not .99¢ (2) It's "so MUCH fun" not "so fun"

stonewall264

join:2012-07-07
Hixson, TN
Reviews:
·EPB Fiber Optics
Most IP cameras can be viewed in a web browser (might want to check the cameras' manual first) so any PC connected to your network and TV should be able to see it. An old Pentium 4 machine would probably have enough power to play video smoothly, or a fanless Atom box. Keep in mind that some cameras require Internet Explorer, so you might need Windows running on the PC.

Alternatively, an Android phone or iDevice with video out would probably work, as there are lots of IP camera apps in their app stores.