All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elctrczipper
Beaten about by both sides of the aisle.
Premium
join:2002-10-03
united state

No optical drive for new iMac? Opportunity!

Did I get it right in that the new iMacs no longer have an optical drive? Wow, what an opportunity if that is the case! Just think if someone or Apple came out with an alternate base for it that contained an optical drive bay along with the viewing angle adjustability of the G4 FP iMacs? That would truly be a super iMac. Just plug a short cord from the base to a Thunderbolt or usb3 port and be ready to go with a very conveniently able to adjust to near perfection viewing angle not available since the G4 FP iMacs. I'd buy it! I hope someone does this, I know I would if I was able.
--
Without campaign finance reform, and a runoff vote after the general election we will FOREVER be Robbed by Pachyderms and Jackasses, and they make sure it stays that way! ez

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30

said by elctrczipper:

Did I get it right in that the new iMacs no longer have an optical drive? Wow, what an opportunity if that is the case! Just think if someone or Apple came out with an alternate base for it that contained an optical drive bay along with the viewing angle adjustability of the G4 FP iMacs? That would truly be a super iMac. Just plug a short cord from the base to a Thunderbolt or usb3 port and be ready to go with a very conveniently able to adjust to near perfection viewing angle not available since the G4 FP iMacs. I'd buy it! I hope someone does this, I know I would if I was able.

this product basically does that

»twelvesouth.com/products/hirise_imac/

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
reply to elctrczipper

I feared the lack of the drive when buying my Air. I own the Air for one year now and I have yet to need the drive. Yes there are those that need it, but for the average user...good bye, good luck.

elctrczipper
Premium
united state
reply to elctrczipper

RiseAbove, Thanks for that link. Now if someone will take it further for the new iMac with a complete alternate base it would be great.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to elctrczipper

lack of an optical drive sounds bad. but I remember even as a gamer I can download everything I play and infact installing from optical means a longer update time.

Going to guess though it might be a good idea to make a backup of OSX to a bootable USB key.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

said by Kearnstd:

Going to guess though it might be a good idea to make a backup of OSX to a bootable USB key.

I prefer bootable USB keys and FW800 drives to optical media, they boot faster and some of my Macs no longer have optical (to support 2 drives mix/match of SSD and HDD).

Jet
Premium
join:2002-01-03
reply to elctrczipper

I specifically bought the last 17" over the new 15" retina due to the loss of an optical drive, among some other things. As far as laptops go, it is about portability. I don't want to carry an extra piece of equipment. Not including them on desktops seems even weirder considering how easy it is to use CD's as a backup and distribution media. I bet alot of people will be buying an attachable optical drive.

Jet

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to elctrczipper

I bought the separate Super Drive, I used it once in 6 months. Not because I had to, but basically I just wanted to see it work. Now it sits unused again. Really I rarely use thumb drives anymore either, everything I do is now is Cloud based (Dropbox, GDrive, Skydrive, iCloud, iTunes Match, Pandora, Spotify ).
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

said by not quite right:

I bought the separate Super Drive, I used it once in 6 months. Not because I had to, but basically I just wanted to see it work. Now it sits unused again. Really I rarely use thumb drives anymore either, everything I do is now is Cloud based (Dropbox, GDrive, Skydrive, iCloud, iTunes Match, Pandora, Spotify ).

I'm there with you. I use Dropbox with an encrypted TrueCrypt folder inside to secure my data.

elctrczipper
Premium
united state
reply to elctrczipper

OK you all have some valid points. How about a very adjustable base as is the G4 iMac base but with the addition of one or two empty bays that could be used for a multiple of choices. I give my first priority to adjustability near identical to the G4 iMac, but near identically as important the universal bays. Another nice product would be updated guts for the G4 that could merely be changed out. I really like that Flower Pot design.
--
Without campaign Process & Finance Reform, Uncle Sam Will be Murdered! Apply Nondiscrimination Equal Opportunity LAW to all leadership hiring processes+Amendment for a balanced Budget+Voter Approved Raises Only+Law that effect all equally including them!

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

I don't miss optical media at all. Never plan on using it ever again. Not sure why you would need it nowadays but I guess you have your reasons.

elctrczipper
Premium
united state

Watch my dvd movies on my iMac. The stand being as conveniently adjustable as the g4 stand is the big one but to have the open bays built into it would be a big space saving plus.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

Click for full size
How's this for space saving?

elctrczipper
Premium
united state

I like it but it isn't the Very adjustable Arm & screen of the G4 FP with 2 open bays built in . I've never liked Apple mice or keyboards either for that matter of course I've not had any of the newer ones so maybe that has changed. Sometimes Apple carries things a bit too far and ends up spoiling superior convenient to the user function.
--
Without campaign Process & Finance Reform, Uncle Sam Will be Murdered! Apply Nondiscrimination Equal Opportunity LAW to all leadership hiring processes+Amendment for a balanced Budget+Voter Approved Raises Only+Law that effect all equally including them!