how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pluto

join:2012-12-07
UK

DHCP on USG 20

My ISP requires DHCP to set my (static) IP address. The ISP will not commit to a particular address for DHCP service, so is it possible to set up the Zywall to process the DHCP transaction without the need to completely open port 68 to the whole planet (or even a small part of it)?

So far, I cannot get DHCP to work unless I open port 68, but is there a trick of the trade?

Thanks!

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:8

That's how it works, you open your port 68:UDP ANY-to-ZyWall and you're done. Don't worry about it (enable logging if you want to see what's going on).

Pluto

join:2012-12-07
UK

1 edit

Thanks for that. I've been using WAN to ZyWall which I assume makes no difference.

I'd forgotten that, to open the port I'd have had to set up port forwarding too.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to Pluto

I don't have any WAN to Zywall allowed and DHCP is working just fine. In theory I suppose it should not work. But it does.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:8

I'm guessing your using PPP connection, that's not using DHCP. Cable (pure ethernet) does use DHCP.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pluto

I'm using Comcast. It does use DHCP because sometimes the modem is up late and the USG does not get the IP address and I have to push that little button on the dashboard...
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16