uniqs

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to Remmy

Premium Member

to Remmy

Re: Optimum and Verizon. Need some help?

Verizon installs FIOS for phone-only service???
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

Verizon stated they will be replacing all their copper with fios. especially in sandy ravaged areas. that's why I asked where he was. Doesn't Verizon offer VOIP? wouldn't he need the modem for voip?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by majortom1029:

Verizon stated they will be replacing all their copper with fios. especially in sandy ravaged areas. that's why I asked where he was. Doesn't Verizon offer VOIP? wouldn't he need the modem for voip?

Verizon offers both POTS service and VoIP over FiOS (Freedom Essentials and FiOS Digital Voice, respectively). Both are terminated at the ONT with RJ-11. It handles everything for voice service.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

Verizon stated they will be replacing all their copper with fios.

No, they did not.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to RickNY

MVM,

to RickNY
said by RickNY:

Verizon installs FIOS for phone-only service???

If your address had FiOS service at some point in the past, they'll use FiOS as the default for all new services. If the copper is still in place, you may be able to request copper POTS service.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by majortom1029:

Verizon stated they will be replacing all their copper with fios.

No, they did not.

Yes they did! In Long Beach (Nassau) all of the copper UG cable from the Central office was ruined by the storm surge. You see the CO was flooded and the air compressors failed; there by allowing sea water into the unpressurized ducts and rendering the old copper cables useless. Verizon has made a policy statement that they are not going to replace any copper cable. All new cable work will be fiber. If you had traditional POTS service in Long Beach, they will repair your service using FIOS only. Of cause they will try to sell you on a FiOS package. But it`s not going to be needed for Pots service; they will sell you a stand alone FIOS POTS line.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

OK, but I'm not in Long Beach, and Verizon is not going to be replacing any copper here. Verizon has also said we are never, ever going to get Fios, even though it's available across the street.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by Bob4:

OK, but I'm not in Long Beach, and Verizon is not going to be replacing any copper here. Verizon has also said we are never, ever going to get Fios, even though it's available across the street.

YES IT IS
»www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 12-12-04

»www.totaltele.com/view.a ··· D=478161

"Verizon Communications Inc. is replacing copper wire damaged by Hurricane Sandy with fiber-optic cable, a move that will allow the company to sell more services to customers.

The accelerated installation of fiber cable in storm-damaged areas lowers the maintenance costs for the company while providing an almost instant increase in revenue from customers, Verizon Chief Executive Lowell McAdam said at a UBS conference in New York Tuesday.

Mr. McAdam also expressed confidence in the future of Verizon's wireless operations and the turnaround of its enterprise group.

As for the fiber cable, Verizon is aiming to transfer as many services as possible off of older, slower copper lines and onto its faster FiOS platform, where it wants to improve its scale."

The areas like brookhaven will just not get the TV portions of Fios but will get the phone and internet. IN my area of Medford Verizon is already laying out the fiber along 112 and other streets.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

1. You said they were replacing "all" their copper, not just damaged copper. Verizon is not replacing all copper.

2. The OP never said anything about damaged copper, nor anything about Long Beach.

Verizon will never, ever give us Fios.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to majortom1029

MVM

to majortom1029
said by majortom1029:

said by Bob4:

YES IT IS

"Verizon Communications Inc. is replacing copper wire damaged by Hurricane Sandy with fiber-optic cable, a move that will allow the company to sell more services to customers.

I suspect that does not apply to Verizon copper anywhere in California; not even the "Left Coast" Long Beach!