Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to WB3FFV

Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

said by WB3FFV:

I thought you had to have the SMC in routed mode to have static IP addresses. If not, that is very interesting news, as I have the SMC gateway modem, and was told to have a static IP range (which I do, and need) it was my ONLY choice. I hate that, as I have a Cisco ASA at my front end, and it can do most routing protocols, and both IPv4 and IPv6 if I can just get native dual stack access.

So is there any way to have Static IP's on business class without that SMC?

To my knowledge, that is the only way. Comcast uses authenticated RIP (specifically they use the Quagga client in the SMC gateways), and they are not likely to give the key to a customer. It is "safe" on the SMC (and presumably the new Netgear) gateways because only Comcast has access to that part of the router.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

WB3FFV

join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD
That was my impression as well, why RIP, who knows. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that needing that, precludes being able to run the SMC in bridge mode, so of course no IPv6 for us yet..

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by WB3FFV:

That was my impression as well, why RIP, who knows. I could be wrong, but I am guessing that needing that, precludes being able to run the SMC in bridge mode, so of course no IPv6 for us yet..

Actually, I have used the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode and had no problems with Comcast's native IPv4/IPv6 dual stack: »Re: [Business] IPv6 Availability

Of course, that did require me to stop using the /29 IPv4 block that I had been using. For my applications, I get by just fine using the five DHCP assigned IPv4 addresses that Comcast allows for business class accounts. I use DynDNS, and they support IPv6 using the internal client in my D-Link DIR655 router (that client allows updating multiple DynDNS hostnames with their associated IPv6 LAN IP addresses).

FWIW, you can see a diagram of my network at »www.dcs-net.net/image/DCS-networ···gram.gif (I won't imbed it in this post because of the usual moans and groans I get when I do that).
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to NetFixer
Couldn't you get the 8014, login as mso to the webpage and get the RIP key?
--
PRescott7-2097

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by joako:

Couldn't you get the 8014, login as mso to the webpage and get the RIP key?

Possibly, but it has been a while since I had access to an SMC8014, and I don't remember seeing an html menu for setting up RIP (and even when I did use the old mso login, Comcast did the static IP setup, and I only logged into the SMC8014 for troubleshooting purposes when necessary for the VAR for whom I was working). As I recall the RIP setup is done from a telnet session, and there is a special Quagga authentication (not the same as the mso credentials) needed to access the imbedded Quagga client. When I did PEN testing on my own SMCD3G-CCR, it was easy to find the Quagga telnet interface, but I still could not do anything with it without the Quagga credentials, and my intent with the PEN testing was to make sure that there were no easily accessed backdoors to my network, not to hack into the SMCD3G for my own purposes).

I also suspect that even if a customer somehow obtained the key, and was able to install a Comcast compatible Quagga client in their own *nix router, that as soon as some Comcast audit discovered it, that customer's static IP block (if not their service) would be terminated. As I previously mentioned, it was random audits that triggered Comcast to reset my SMCD3G-CCR from bridge mode back into gateway mode on multiple occasions (even though it was Comcast CSRs who had put it into bridge mode for me).
--