share rss forum feed

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bbbc

Re: UBB 2.0

I stumbled upon this forum and it was my first news of this. Typically, I would be nowhere near 250GB, in fact, I probably do hopefully will be for when the bandwidth caps come in.

So, how is teksavvy for phone and internet service anyhow?

slidebite

join:2012-12-07
Lethbridge, AB
Only 2 lines of my post ^^ show up, but if I try to edit it the whole thing is there.. what gives?

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to slidebite
said by slidebite :

I don't know if TekSavvy's VoIP product is available in AB or BC. I think the price is a bit spendy. I suggest you look into VoIP.ms (port your current number) and use an Obihai OBi202 ATA to hook up to your existing phones.

Internet service with TekSavvy is probably the best you're going to get in Canada. They are having growing pains (expansion-wise) since Telus and Bell backed UBB and consumers are turning to them as a viable alternative. TSI's CEO, Marc, is quite active on DSLR if you have probs. The only other challenge is installs, which requires one of the duoplies to accomplish. Telus has been pretty reliable with their appointments for wholesale (TSI) installs. Unfortunately, TSI West Cable isn't available in your neck of the woods, Alberta.

You do have to pay for your modem, install, and first month up front (probably shy of $200), but you also won't be in a contract nor will you get the consistant price increases. Oh, unlimited is only $7 more than a 75GB package, which is a no-brainer.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

titan_rw

join:2007-08-23
How long until the CLEC's are offering the new 50 meg plans that Telus has? They're using the same ports in the dslam, so the equipment is capable. I'd even be able to supply my own modem, capable of 50.

I'd have no problem switching if I could get the same speed, with no billing increases, and have it 'officially' be unlimited. Instead of having to rely on Telus simply not billing.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
said by titan_rw:

How long until the CLEC's are offering the new 50 meg plans that Telus has? They're using the same ports in the dslam, so the equipment is capable. I'd even be able to supply my own modem, capable of 50.

I'd have no problem switching if I could get the same speed, with no billing increases, and have it 'officially' be unlimited. Instead of having to rely on Telus simply not billing.

From what I understand... The recent crtc ruling meant that they had to allow speed matching almost instantaneous. Now... that doesn't mean they'll add it at the same time, seeing as how they have to work out what price to charge, ect.

Best bet, is to post in the Teksavvy direct forum asking, or in the general Teksavvy forum. I imagine they'll start matching it soon, with Telus they've been matching pretty fast in the past.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to titan_rw
said by titan_rw :

How long until the CLEC's are offering the new 50 meg plans that Telus has?

Who knows... 25Mb ain't good enough for you until that day comes? I'm assuming your equating the CLEC terminology to wholesalers.

That sounds like a perfect world, but wholesalers generally don't subsidize equipment and installation costs unlike the duopolies which require a contract. In addition, you can't expect the bundled price you're used to since the wholesalers are primarily selling just broadband. I'd rather pay a little more for a company that gives a sh*t and doesn't transfer you overseas.

--

titan_rw

join:2007-08-23
said by bbbc:

Who knows... 25Mb ain't good enough for you until that day comes? I'm assuming your equating the CLEC terminology to wholesalers.

As far as I was aware, CLEC is a correct term. Competitive Local Exchange Carrier. The 'main' carrier is an ILEC, Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier. Telus uses the term CLEC. In some of their voice prompts, it's "For CLEC ADSL, press 1, for Centrex assignment, press 2", etc.

said by bbbc:

That sounds like a perfect world, but wholesalers generally don't subsidize equipment and installation costs unlike the duopolies which require a contract.

Yea, so with the wholesaler not subsidizing equipment costs, there should be no cost if the customer provides their own equipment.

Also, when I signed up with telus from day 1, there was never any contract. (I've been with telus for dsl since they bought out cadvision here in Calgary in 2001 I think it was.) And they still provided the equipment. The equipment is there for you to use free of charge for as long as you have telus service. The only reason I see to sign a contract is to get their 6 month promo rate, and or any 'gift' that they have going at the time. Like the laptop / tablet thing. That still wouldn't get me to sign a long term contract. Not worth it when they start changing bandwidth agreements.

johnjake

@telus.net
reply to slidebite
Standard disclaimer, I work for Telus, blah blah blah.

No clue about pricing or customer service, but from a technology point of view... identical. The DSL line from your house will connect to the exact same piece of network equipment (DSLAM) whether you are with TELUS, Teksavvy, Nucleus, etc etc. People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

**Clarification: If a customer is with Telus, and their line is still not on the new 2+ technology as it hasn't been moved yet, and they out order the service and replace it with a wholesale service that is on 2+ from the get go, they might see better service. This will be rare though, and temporary.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
said by johnjake :

No clue about pricing or customer service, but from a technology point of view... identical. The DSL line from your house will connect to the exact same piece of network equipment (DSLAM) whether you are with TELUS, Teksavvy, Nucleus, etc etc. People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

**Clarification: If a customer is with Telus, and their line is still not on the new 2+ technology as it hasn't been moved yet, and they out order the service and replace it with a wholesale service that is on 2+ from the get go, they might see better service. This will be rare though, and temporary.

I had a huge reply, and hit back button and it got erased.. So I'm going to make it short.

Your mostly correct - If your line quality with Telus sucks, switching to Teksavvy will not fix it. But there are other parts of the network which allow Teksavvy to offer a higher quality service.

Routing is 1 of them - At least it was this way a year ago, but Teksavvy had way better routing, which made for better ping times in games. Sometimes trying to get to a server in Seattle from Vancouver, Telus has me routing all the way to Toronto, While I saw this happen once on Teksavvy, A quick E-mail and they configured it a bit, and the next day it was fixed. An E-mail to Telus... And they didn't know what I was talking about even / Didn't care to fix it.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to johnjake
said by johnjake :

People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

TekSavvy has much better routing connectivity than TELUS. They use Peer1 as their provider in Vancouver. Significantly less saturated links, and Peer1 actually likes to play ball with other ISPs.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to Ikarasu
said by Ikarasu:

An E-mail to Telus... And they didn't know what I was talking about even / Didn't care to fix it.

Bell has had private peering with Telus and Shaw for a long time. But it seemed like Rogers would never play ball.

About 6 months ago, I sent an email to both Bell and Rogers NOC about the horrible speed/ping/latency people in Ontario have between their networks because they default route everything to their "cheap" transit provider (TATA in Scarborough), which took the data to NY/NJ and back. It took forever to setup private peering, but they finally did it, and here we are today: 4 Rogers.net.bell.ca (67.69.246.93) 0.618 ms 0.645 ms 0.593 ms

Now I get 0-4ms instead of 30-40ms to local Rogers business & residential customers from Bell and vice versa.

Give it a try: »www.peeringdb.com/private/partic···hp?id=76
--
Fiber Optics are the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR »Fiber Optic Forum.

arggsz656

@telus.net
reply to johnjake
said by johnjake :

Depends who your provider is. As someone who has worked with third party services in the past, I can tell you that while the same copper line is used, third party service can originate from the third party's own DSLAM.

bbbc

NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to johnjake

Wholesalers rock

said by johnjake :

People claiming that Teksavvy can offer better service quality than Telus themselves are out to lunch.

Yes, wholesalers provide much better service, customer service-wise. Who said anything else with regards to technological advantages? Also, why post in an anonymous capacity, other employees aren't.

Even if you provide your own modem, you have to pay a wholesaler a $99 install fee for 15Mb+ speeds. Mind you, every dollar goes into Telus' pockets.

--
Expand your moderator at work

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to bbbc

Re: UBB 2.0

said by bbbc:

said by slidebite :

I don't know if TekSavvy's VoIP product is available in AB or BC. I think the price is a bit spendy. I suggest you look into VoIP.ms (port your current number) and use an Obihai OBi202 ATA to hook up to your existing phones.

There is a problem with this. The home security system does not work on the voip.ms system with an obihai router. I have tried it for a month with help from voip.ms staff (great people btw! really supportive and awesome!), but we couldnt get it working.
--
Bell Canada: It is “Preposterous" that consumers should get content they want on their cellphones.