Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Re: 'Black Box' Data Recorders Required In All New Cars

quote:
NHTSA gets White House OK to mandate vehicle 'black boxes'
I'm over the mandates. And over the White House and their fondness for them, too.

Just means I won't buy a new car, even if they mandate that.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

said by goalieskates:

quote:
NHTSA gets White House OK to mandate vehicle 'black boxes'
I'm over the mandates. And over the White House and their fondness for them, too.

"some vehicle models have had recorders since the early 1990s"

How old is the vehicle you currently drive? You may not need to buy a new car to have this technology tattle on you.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

They will impose a "tax" on you if you don't make a mandated new car purchase!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by NormanS:

They will impose a "tax" on you if you don't make a mandated new car purchase!

And who are "they"? Do "they" actually exist or it's just "we", so dumb, that we are not realizing, what we're collectively dong?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by OZO:

And who are "they"? Do "they" actually exist or it's just "we", so dumb, that we are not realizing, what we're collectively dong?

That was supposed to be a reference to the "tax" on people who don't purchase the government mandated health care coverage.
--
Norman

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

"some vehicle models have had recorders since the early 1990s"

How old is the vehicle you currently drive? You may not need to buy a new car to have this technology tattle on you.

True enough, although the amount and nature of the data has grown over time. Earlier models were strictly performance related; now they track driving habits, etc. That's the problem with government monitoring, they start out small, decide they want more, and expand the mandate. Meanwhile no duly-elected representative is given the opportunity to represent.

(It's a 1999. )

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

How old is the vehicle you currently drive?

It's 46 years old and I'm going to be driving after an EMP burst in the coming apocalypse unless you got a bigger gun that me.

The black box will be intricately integrated into the ECU and be next to impossible for the average person to negate.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

... "some vehicle models have had recorders since the early 1990s"

21 years old, runs and looks great... and no "black box". I have no problem with black boxes being offered as an option... but I object to having to pay for it if I don't want or feel I need it.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

not

@comcast.net
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

It's 46 years old and I'm going to be driving after an EMP burst in the coming apocalypse unless you got a bigger gun that me.

The black box will be intricately integrated into the ECU and be next to impossible for the average person to negate.

When an EMP goes off, even your 46 year old car won't work. There is still an electrical system in there that provides you with spark. The battery cranks your car, the alternator sustains the running motor by providing the energy for the spark to ignite the fuel. Have fun pushing it and hoping that the alternator isn't fried in it.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by not :

When an EMP goes off, even your 46 year old car won't work. There is still an electrical system in there that provides you with spark. The battery cranks your car, the alternator sustains the running motor by providing the energy for the spark to ignite the fuel. Have fun pushing it and hoping that the alternator isn't fried in it.

I wonder why my Army training for shooting atomic cannon shells seemed predicated on the survival of the vehicles? We disconnected all radio antennas but one, and shut all motors down.
quote:
Cars dying: Some say that all vehicles traveling will come to a halt, with all modern vehicles damaged because of their use of modern electronics (and one movie even had a bulk, non-electronic part dying). Most likely there will be some vehicles affected, but probably just a small fraction of them (although this could create traffic jams in large cities). A car does not have very long cabling to act as antennas, and there is some protection from metallic construction. As non-metallic materials are used more and more in the future to decrease weight and increase fuel efficiency, this advantage may disappear.

»www.futurescience.com/emp/EMP-myths.html
--
Norman