spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bstone026
join:2012-08-04
Century, FL

bstone026

[DSL] My Wifi And Its Trickery?

Hello All, I have one of these odd wifi problems I just can't figure out, Ok from what I can gather this is a local problem only affecting my laptop. I can be surfing the web when all the sudden I get the message unable to resolve domain (or similar) but whats funny is my utorrent is not affected by this. The only way I have found to remedy my problem is to disable and re enable network adapter on laptop, So I should say anyone out there ever come across this issue before? (all browsers are affected and using 7550) thanks brian
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

1 edit

gozer9

Premium Member

When did this start? What OS is on your laptop? The fact that torrent keeps going is because it has stored localy the IP's of the seeds/leeches it does not need to ask a DNS server resolve domain names. you can test this by doing a ping next time this happens but use a good IP address not a domain name.
try this one 66.133.172.205 = frontier.com It should work.

You can allso try that IP in any browser this will tell us if it is just a DNS problem, do this when it stops working.
bstone026
join:2012-08-04
Century, FL

bstone026

Hey, well its been a couple months sense this started and I am on windows 7. I changed my dns servers to google and opendns but still no remedy. I will try the ip you listed when problem presents it self, which should be today sometime. thanks

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

is it better to have a non frontier dns
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to bstone026

to bstone026
frontier's dns seems to have performance issues.

I would use google's public dns or open dsn instead. that seems to resolve most issues like this.
gozer9
Premium Member
Rochester, NY

gozer9 to bstone026

Premium Member

to bstone026
When did you start using Utorrent I found some info that suggests it may be the cause of your problem. The gist of it is that all win OS's have tcp connection limits and this has always caused some issues. I know that with xp it can and will on torrents with lots of peers when the xp reaches the limit it will kill your inet connection. It would take a box restart or yes you could fix this by repairing the nic and yes disabling and then re-enabling your nic does this very thing. the recommended fix is to lower the number of pears and to lower the upload rate for Utorrent. hope this helps

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to bstone026

MVM

to bstone026
If this problem only occurs while Torrents are running, keep in mind the routers often have a maximum number of simultaneous connections they will process at once, despite the NAT table being capable of holding more entries. If you have torrents with a huge amount of connections running at once you might be going past the limit of the router. Half-open connections and complete, active connections are two active things. Windows is more likely to also limit Half-Open connections by design. You may want to see if smaller swarms or a restricted amount of connections helps to resolve this issue.

Also if the router is running at Max CPU, it will fail to make connections even if it still responding back to you via Ping or it's Web Interface (the Web Interface is often a higher priority for CPU on the router).

If you use the router's built in DNS proxy, those are often not too hard to overload. If your Torrent client is doing a reverse DNS against each connected peer and your peers are connecting and disconnecting often, you could be causing issues with the daemon. This is only as long as you're using the router itself as the "go-to" device for DNS.

There is a very good chance though, that this is due to issues with software or limits within Windows 7 if other computers continue to work on your connection while your computer fails to work.
gozer9
Premium Member
Rochester, NY

1 edit

gozer9

Premium Member

Thank you for that info on the connection limit and that it can also be the routers limit too. I realised after I posted that although I think I was on the right tract one thing made me pause that being the OS and that I was basing this on XP and that as I now know from a little reading that win7 as I assumed has limits but are handled a bit different from XP and that in win7 it counts Half-Open connection's too.
Next question does this happen ever when Utorrent is not running?
think before you answer I use bittornado because I know bittorrent and I think Utorrent does the same that unless you change the default settings after install and after you have done a few downloads will allways run at windows start and seed every thing you have downloaded or atleast several files