uniqs
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to peterboro

to peterboro

Re: Software on rented PCs can spy on you

Hey Pete,
It's only the inductive tap I wanted to point out. Like most technology, if you can touch it, you can compromise it.
Every time I investigate a security issue, I am dismayed to find that if you are targeted you will be compromised. The tools may not be available to us (yet), but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Humans are the weak link in security. Don't let them touch your stuff.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

Exactly. Who's more likely to hack an account? James Bond tapping my phone line or an Azerbaijani script kiddie, looking to steal a credit card to load up on a game service or a skype account?

This entire argument is reductio ad absurdum.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Tig

to Tig
said by Tig:

Humans are the weak link in security.

And the legacy and lessons of Kevin Mitnick are just as relevant today as they were decades ago. I've engaged in social engineering almost as long as he has.

In the alternative I am constantly saying to parties that have my information, "I can't believe you were just going to tell me that. Is this how lax your security is?"

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

This entire argument is reductio ad absurdum.

I don't think that expression means what you think it does, but anyway, this entire discussion got ridiculous when you announced that you "weren't stupid enough" to do any banking on your computer.

To hell with that ... to introduce a little levity here: