MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
reply to tc1uscg

Re: ...

tc1uscg:

a) what ideas do you think Apple will need to license from TV vendors? I can't think of any.

b) Creative Labs? I think you miss the point of Apple innovation. They are not about features and functionality, they are about integration, design, and ecosystem. They do just enough to keep up with the hardware specs and features list, but make it a package and ecosystem that is overall compelling to consumers.

c) »www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-met1.htm

d) Will the Apple Craze wear off? well I guess eventually all things change. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
A) You just don't re-broadcast TV without some kind of agreement unless it's public domain. Apple has deep pockets and if they are trying to make money on regurgitating airwaves, I see the people holding a license for that content and the content owners themselves will want part of that pie unless it's public domain and roku already provides that avenue (for free). I have 3 roku’s and I would like to continue to get what I do get for free. So, what can apple provide that isn't already there? What can be so innovative about hooking up a divice to your tv, plugging it into power, connecting to your WAN or LAN then start streaming free content or if you pay for the subscription, Vudu, Netflix, HBO, Hulu is at your figure tips? What irks me is they can produce something already on the market and people talk like life on another planet was discovered.

B) Really? Back when I got my 40gb creative labs zen, it got rave reviews. I still have it, it still works, and I use it more than my ipod touch 1st gen. I’m not filling the landfills with broken screens, or outdated-crippled devices. When I buy a drill, I don’t sit around and pay homage to it for being “cool”, innovative and eco-friendly. I just want it to do what it’s designed to do and do it well and every time a new drill bit comes out, I don’t need to “upgrade” my device to use it. Or when a new device comes out, I don’t have to replace my drill bits. Simple.

C) Like I said, the use of the word to describe Apple was incorrect IMO.

D) I don't say bad things about apple because I'm envious, jealous or that I’m wanting. To me, Apple is no more better at design, integration or even ecosystem then Jeep or Wal-Mart. Jeep because they are an example of a product that's been around for 70 years and no matter how unreliable consumer reports try to paint them, people still buy and rive them every day. (I own 2). Wal-Mart because of their innovative ways in the marketing and methods of giving it's consumers the same products at a lower price no matter what other companies or businesses’ they destroy in doing so, as long as they can maximize profits.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Nice response!

A). Oh you're talking about content licenses, I thought you meant design patents. Well of course content owners will get paid by Apple, that's my whole point about it not being the "broadcast industry".

I am curious what Roku gives you for free.

What Apple brings that CL etc. don't is the Apple ecosystem. People don't perceive a learning curve, it "works with my iPhone". People see the product because its Apple and there's buzz and TV ads. And they want it. First step to buy is being aware that it exists. I would bet you a consumer poll would show Roku and CL having low consumer awareness.

B). See above you are not the average consumer.

C). Whatever.

D). Sure.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
said by MyDogHsFleas:

Nice response!

A). Oh you're talking about content licenses, I thought you meant design patents.

I am curious what Roku gives you for free.

What Apple brings that CL etc. don't is the Apple ecosystem. People don't perceive a learning curve, it "works with my iPhone". People see the product because its Apple and there's buzz and TV ads. And they want it. First step to buy is being aware that it exists. I would bet you a consumer poll would show Roku and CL having low consumer awareness.

B). See above you are not the average consumer.

C). Whatever.

D). Sure.

A) I can seem the money hungry MPAA/RIAA jumping on the same train telling Apple to pay up or shut up. It might be a "Shock and Awe" in the beginning, but I think the relationship will sour (no reference to sour apples) soon thereafter.

Roku is the gateway that provides content from IP based entertainment sources. No, I'm not a spokes person but to sum it up as a consumer, it's a little cable box that lets you "surf" the hundreds of channels (both free and subscription based) with no learning curve. You just plug it up, register it and hundreds of channels are there.
»www.thecontemplation.com/index.p···hannels/

Now, I did buy a subscription to Playon.tv and Playlater.tv that provides me with hundreds of tv shows from network and cable channels. Playlater just allows me to record said show to watch later. Now, remember, these boxes stream all this to your non-internet/WiFi tv in HD/SD (depends on the channel) Note the above link was from over a year ago so there are many more channels there now.

I also use Plex (free). It turns any PC on your network into a media server for the roku (or android phone). Not sure if there's a version for apple for not. But I'm sure there are dozens of FREE apps for apple devices that do the same thing.

B). No, I disagree. I am an average consumer. Just not afraid to learn how stuff works to improve my experience. I pay for what I like and what works for my needs but skip what doesn't. I do tinker but in the end, it has to be simple for my stupid moments and everyone else in the house including 4 teens. I'm sure Apples stuff will be simple too but I would hardly call it innovation, ground breaking or anything to do with being 'eco'. When the android systems first came out, it was cool, now it's just, well, android. Guess my gripe is, Apple products won't do ANYTHING other devices available today can do and in my own experience, nor any better. No, apple will take it, make it bright and pretty so people will bow and pay homage to them for creating something revolutionary. (see creative labs )

C). Yep, we can go back and forth for weeks on this.

D). Noted