spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Penguin

@rogers.com

[DSL] Problem connecting to internet with router...

Hi..! I have been surfing the web for ways to fix a problem I am having...
Basically, I can access the internet if I am directly connected to the modem... (Both PPPoE and bridging) but when I connect my modem to my router. LAN light on my modem is off, internet light is off on my router...
My modem is tp-link (td-8816) and router is cisco (linksys e2500)... I also have d-link (dir-651) router..

I have been on the phone with both d-link and cisco thinking the problem is with the router.. But after long hours on the phone, it seems like the problem is with the modem.. A lady from cisco mentioned something about modem not giving authentication to the router...

I have tries modem on PPPoE and router on automatic.. Modem on bridging mode and router on PPPoE.. Tried turning off DHCP on the modem..

Called teksavvy, but they told me that since the internet works when I'm wired to my modem, they cannot help with my router.. (I did meet a rep once that was really nice enough to help me with setting up router.. )

Has anyone had similar problem or insights on what I can do?

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Have you tried another modem?

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to Penguin
I will assume you have verified that you have the connecting cable attached properly, but have you tried another cable?

Penguin

@rogers.com
reply to Mike2009
Well, I don't have any other modem that I can try on...
And if it works wired directly to the computer, it shouldn't have much problem connecting with router.. Right..? ... Just talked to tp link on the phone and they said that if the modem works when it's connected to computer, then it's working okay...

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
You sure you're setting it to bridge mode?

Penguin

@rogers.com
reply to lleader
Cables are fine as well.. I was able to get internet with both cables I'm using.. (When modem is connected directly with my computer of course)

Penguin

@rogers.com
reply to Mike2009
Unless there's some special things I have to press, I believe I am.. And it was set with teksavvy person on the phone..
Vpi/vci 0/35 and selected bridge mode when I was going through the quick setup.. Oh and the connection type is 1483 bridges IP LLC..

Penguin

join:2012-12-08
reply to lleader
[this might be a double reply.. I signed up just now so that I wouldnt have delay in answering..]
Cables work fine.. When I had the modem connected with my computer, I tried out both cables and both let me get connected..

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
reply to Penguin
I don't quite remember how my TD-8816 setup but I ended up managing to have it so that I could have PPPoE setup on the Modem, and just having Double NAT ~~ 1 on the Modem / 1 on the Router.
Or disabling DHCP on the Router and having the Modem perform DHCP.

I don't have my TD-8816 anymore but thats how I approached it.
Perhaps check duplex / speed settings on the WAN port?
--
Residence: WRT400N DD-WRT - pfSense P4 2.8GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
Home: Teksavvy Extreme Cable 28/1
WNDR3700 + RT-N13 DD-WRT

Penguin

I tried this.. I don't know if I did it right but.... I tried.. and it didn't work...
How do I check duplex/speed setting on the WAN port..?

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Penguin
Doing this from a linksys e900 under status and ports you should be able to at least check link status

nick_vw

@teksavvy.com
reply to Penguin
the tp link 8816 is a modem/router combo is it not?

not entirely sure the process here, i would assume leave the pppoe to the tp-link router and leave the wireless linksys dhcp. I'm really not certain if a router trying to connect pppoe through another modem/router is possible.

Penguin

reply to franklyong
Internet Port Link doesnt have any number...
Expand your moderator at work

croyd

@teksavvy.com
reply to Penguin

Re: [DSL] Problem connecting to internet with router...

I'm actually have the same problem today. I've been using my router (ASUS-RT56U) and modem (TP-LINK TD-8816) for a year now and it just stopped working yesterday.

Today I disconnected my router and connected it straight to a computer, set it up and internet works fine. I then switch the modem back to bridge mode and in the router, I setup PPoE with my teksavvy account details but I can't get it to connect and obtain an IP address. I don't have an extra router right now so I can't see if another router works. I've tried changing multiple network cables but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas? Hopefully tomorrow I can borrow a router and try it out.

Croyd