Search similar:

uniqs

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Who is the American Express of checking?

Meaning good customer service.

A few Fridays ago I received a call from American Express asking if I was in Belgium. When I told them I wasn't they asked me if I wanted to receive the replacement card on Saturday or Monday. The replacement arrived the next day as promised. Entire ordeal on the phone took maybe 5 minutes.

A few months ago my TD Bank debit card was claimed to have been used fraudulently, they wouldn't really give me any details. I found a few weeks after the fact when the card was declined. They did not notify me or even mail a replacement. Just cancel the card.

Just today my TD Bank card was also declined. I find the funds had been spent in Italy around the same time as the Amex incident. Card is still active. No fraud alert. I call TD Bank and they want to send me a new card in 7 to 10 days and they refuse to overnight it. So I tell them don't worry, there's no fraud and 30 minutes later a supervisor who at first claimed they can not overnight cards also claims I should have a replacement card on Tuesday. The fraudulent charges may be reversed in 10 days after they investigate.

So long story short: what bank for checking accounts offers decent, our-customers-are-valued, customer service?

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

IMHO Ally bank is great.

HeySi
@charter.com

HeySi to joako

Anon

to joako
DCU

mrdrysdale
@comcast.net

mrdrysdale to joako

Anon

to joako
»bluebird.com/
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to joako

to joako
If you had two cards compromised at the same time, you have a serious problem.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

+1
go to »www.experian.com/fraud/c ··· ter.html and have them place a fraud alert on your credit file.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to joako

Premium Member

to joako
USAA

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

If you had two cards compromised at the same time, you have a serious problem.

I agree! You might want to take a serious look at how and when you are using your cards.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to joako

Premium Member

to joako
USAA is good (anyone can open a checking/savings account, don't have to have a military connection). I have USAA and my only gripe is deposits but UPS store can handle deposits. You can also do the pic with your cell phone but you have to have or be qualified for a line of credit with them and something else.

I don't know about others, but all you need is the $25 opening deposit at USAA, there's no monthly fees to have the account. It's one of those "why not?"type things, even if you don't use it. I had my USAA account for nearly a year before I really started using it because I still had automatic payments coming out of my BofA account that I had to change over.

I've heard Ally is good. Also look at nearly any credit union. Many credit unions participate in a shared network type thing so you have easier access to funds at other CUs.

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

The main way I deposit into my account besides direct deposit is with my iPhone or my scanner. I also have a credit union account just to deposit cash and then I transfer it electronically to USAA. The nice thing about the credit union is they are a member of a coop which allows me to deposit at other credit unions all over the country at no cost. I use my USAA debit card for withdraws since they do not charge anything and refund the charges by other banks atms automatically.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to joako

Premium Member

to joako
But bottom line though IS

Debit Cards just do not have the regulated protections (even if VISA or MC labeled) that Credit Cards do.

What you say of AMEX is not unique I have had Discover do the same.

Debit Cards are very different though, and how you are treated varies widely.

I would agree with the recommendations, but no one has really said they have ever had a replacement card over nighted or if it cost anything to do that. (and that is not a mandated requirement... company discretion but AMEX not alone in doing that)

Thing is banks tend to care less as with debit its your money at risk, not theirs. With CC's it their money until you pay.
Hence the ACTIVE fraud watches. Your typical bank does not have the resources to do that... or really the incentive as its your money not theirs. And again even if the Debit Card is CC branded does NOT mean it has the attention of that CC company the way a real CC would.... aagain it gets down to the in your money not theirs thing.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to joako

Premium Member

to joako
To add to what Hayward said is debit cards are not legally required to offer any protections as credit cards are covered under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act not so for debit cards

Banks currently at their discretion try an mimic Credit Card rules, but are not legally required to, if something goes wrong and the banks doesn't see it as there fault, you have no legal recourse

»www.biggerpockets.com/re ··· stments/

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to beck

Premium Member

to beck
said by beck:

IMHO Ally bank is great.

Ugh. Ally is the re-branded GMAC, the government-bailed-out finance division of General Motors. Avoid at all costs.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to joako

Premium Member

to joako
I don't really care for Fifth Third bank, but they offer an interesting product called the Duo card.

When you use it with a PIN, it functions as a regular debit card, deducting balances from your checking account. When you use it online or with a signature, it functions as a credit card, charging the balance against a line of credit.

It seems to be a good trade-off of convenience and security because you get all the zero-liability protections of a credit card for online and signature transactions. You just need to remember to pay the credit balance off each month I suppose.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by pike:

It seems to be a good trade-off of convenience and security because you get all the zero-liability protections of a credit card for online and signature transactions. You just need to remember to pay the credit balance off each month I suppose.

Well I'd like to see that agreement (not really... not being a lawyer) but I highly doubt if not mandated they would voluntarily provide all the benrfits of a credit card.

A line of credit is still your money/debt not theirs as a credit card is.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to joako

to joako
there are only 2 that top all, USAA and Navy FCU...
towerdave
join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL

towerdave to ilikeme

to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

USAA

Last time my USAA debit card was compromised by someone hacking a database, I received a replacement with the explanation. Didn't have to call at all.

When I reported a fraudulent charge, they replaced it overnight.

USAA is simply the best.

TD
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to joako

Premium Member

to joako
Side question here, what do people think of Best Bank? They're in a lot of Kroger stores around here and they're open 7 days a week which are kinda convenient and I know they offer a free checking option but I know little to nothing of them otherwise.

ilikeme
Premium Member
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to towerdave

Premium Member

to towerdave
said by towerdave:

said by ilikeme:

USAA

Last time my USAA debit card was compromised by someone hacking a database, I received a replacement with the explanation. Didn't have to call at all.

When I reported a fraudulent charge, they replaced it overnight.

USAA is simply the best.

TD

Same thing happend with our USAA credit card a few years ago.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by pike:

Well I'd like to see that agreement (not really... not being a lawyer) but I highly doubt if not mandated they would voluntarily provide all the benrfits of a credit card.

A line of credit is still your money/debt not theirs as a credit card is.

»www.53.com/doc/pe/pe-rul ··· -grp.pdf

It's a true credit card. The consumer's funds are not used in the line of credit for signature transactions, but a PIN transaction would process from the checking.

They also can overnight a card to a retail center, but it would depend on the relationship of the customer.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to joako

Premium Member

to joako
TD Fee took over Commerce Bank here years ago. I was with Commerce since it started and it was a great bank, but after TD took over it went downhill fast. They have had some serious computer problems and other glitches since taking things over. Also they put more fees on things too.

They also got caught with wrongful overdraft fees in a class action suit where they were posting debit card payments according to highest amount instead of actual date. And have agreed to payout $62 million.

»www.topclassactions.com/ ··· ttlement

Most banks suck these days but I hate TD. I use PNC Bank now and I am happier with them, great service at my local branches. I also have a ING account who were recently taken over by Capital One and they have been decent as well.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to joako

Premium Member

to joako
The TD Banks up here can print you a new debit card right in the branch without any issues. Odd you cant do that down there unless you simply can not get to the bank.

Not sure why you thought your AmEx encounter was so good. Chase has always over-nighted my new cards to me at my request. Same with Citi and Citi has some very aggressive fraud management.

As for banking, go with a CU.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to Cabal

MVM

to Cabal
said by Cabal:

said by beck:

IMHO Ally bank is great.

Ugh. Ally is the re-branded GMAC, the government-bailed-out finance division of General Motors. Avoid at all costs.

Which means?????? Nothing to me. I didn't get to vote if anything got bailed out. By that, then don't buy stocks etc because they were bailed out. Bah!