Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

masif

join:2012-08-19
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Bell Canada Fibe25/10 can ping but cannot browse frequently

NOTE: I see a post in Bell Canada Direct Support, subject is similar, can someone please tell me if this is a frequent issue with Bell?

I got Bell Fibe25 internet connection and am using Connection Hub, this is the same setup as I have in my previous home (different location), and the problem I am going to explain has happened on both locations exactly the same:

Setup:
Internet -> Bell Connection Hub -> Linksys E4200 (TomatoUSB) -> Home Network (voip phone, laptops, iphone, ipads etc etc)

DNS: I use OPENDNS servers

Problem:

I am experiencing a weird problem, very intermittently ( sometimes quiet often) my Internet connectivity drops regardless if I am connected via wired or wireless, doing heavy browsing or not, heavy downloading or not, in the night when no browsing or downloading is going on:

1. My VoIP phone loses connectivity
2. My online streaming contents losing connecivity
3. Two of my laptop's can browse any sites.
4. iPad/iPhone can't browse any sites, check any emails

All the devices loses connectivity, but yet, if I try to ping any public IP address (for eg., 4.2.2.2) I can ping, in every situation. The Bell Connection Hub shows all the right lights, the modem status on the web UI states connected and shows my dynamic IP.

The only way to get it fixed is to reboot the Bell modem, after which everything comes back.

Now in order to simplify troubleshooting I did remove all the other components:

Internet -> Bell Connection Hub -> Wired -> VoIP Adaptor
Internet -> Bell Connection Hub -> Wireless -> Laptop,iPhone, iPad.

Still same. By the way I had worked with Bell tech's and they have clearly ruled out line issues at my previous location as well as new location.

Any suggestions?

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by masif:

NOTE: I see a post in Bell Canada Direct Support, subject is similar, can someone please tell me if this is a frequent issue with Bell?

I got Bell Fibe25 internet connection and am using Connection Hub, this is the same setup as I have in my previous home (different location), and the problem I am going to explain has happened on both locations exactly the same:

Setup:
Internet -> Bell Connection Hub -> Linksys E4200 (TomatoUSB) -> Home Network (voip phone, laptops, iphone, ipads etc etc)

DNS: I use OPENDNS servers

Problem:

I am experiencing a weird problem, very intermittently ( sometimes quiet often) my Internet connectivity drops regardless if I am connected via wired or wireless, doing heavy browsing or not, heavy downloading or not, in the night when no browsing or downloading is going on:

1. My VoIP phone loses connectivity
2. My online streaming contents losing connecivity
3. Two of my laptop's can browse any sites.
4. iPad/iPhone can't browse any sites, check any emails

All the devices loses connectivity, but yet, if I try to ping any public IP address (for eg., 4.2.2.2) I can ping, in every situation. The Bell Connection Hub shows all the right lights, the modem status on the web UI states connected and shows my dynamic IP.

The only way to get it fixed is to reboot the Bell modem, after which everything comes back.

Now in order to simplify troubleshooting I did remove all the other components:

Internet -> Bell Connection Hub -> Wired -> VoIP Adaptor
Internet -> Bell Connection Hub -> Wireless -> Laptop,iPhone, iPad.

Still same. By the way I had worked with Bell tech's and they have clearly ruled out line issues at my previous location as well as new location.

Any suggestions?

I had this problem, had to change my profile to a fibetv profile... it fixed the issue for me.

masif

Mississauga, ON

Thanks.

So how did you request that?

kovy

said by masif:

Thanks.

So how did you request that?

Try direct forum.

masif

Mississauga, ON

Thanks, I have the same post up there too.

kovy

Cool, hopefully it fixes your problem... which was really annoying to me too.

Enolas

join:2011-06-27
D4F2S9
reply to masif

I'm having exactly the same issue, I switched from Fibe 10/1 to Fibe 15/10 and at least once a day the problem occures. Really really annoying...

masif

Mississauga, ON
reply to kovy

@Kovy: so now you are not having any sort of disconnect issues right?

kovy

said by masif:

@Kovy: so now you are not having any sort of disconnect issues right?

Nop, it's all gone. But you need to make sure you have the same problem... this doesn't fix a losing sync situation.

sstackho

join:2004-07-22
Toronto, ON
reply to masif

See this thread: »[Internet] Fibe 25 modem outages - can ping, but nothing else wo

A profile change solved the problem for me.

masif

Mississauga, ON
reply to masif

Hi everybody,

An update just got a response back from direct forums, my profile has been switched to v26944-26944_8128-1600_82412 as of noon today.

Tech has mentioned this is the correct profile that has been used with other members account to fix similar issues.

Let hope that the problem is finally over now

bell cust

@videotron.ca

we have the same random browsing issues too with the Bell Connection Hub (black modem). Sagemcom 2864
we previously had the 2wire (white modem) and upgraded to 18mb down / 7mb up guaranteed. seems that is when our problems started. we only use for internet, and don't have fibe tv service.

Bell tech support don't escalate the issue because they perform a line test remotely, and everything is always ok.
we also replaced the modem, and the random browsing disconnects continue.
also very difficult to reproduce the problem on demand.

we use dropbox service, have 20 users, and the issue happen ~5 times per day, and then after 5-10mins we are able to browse again.
while browsing is down, any ping to google.com/domains continue to work, modem lights remain on, our skype VoIP phones work, so only the web browsing is affected. "tech" the internet is up, but browsing is affected for some reason.
perhaps dropbox is using bandwidth, which the modem or line cannot sustain? our current profile is set to vdsl2 (bell tech support is able to confirm)
speedtest.net show 25MB down and 7MB upload.

we have changed to public google DNS servers too, and the same issues continue.

what does the maintenance profile do, as others suggested?
why doesn't bell tech support have any logs of our support calls or take action on our complaints?

we are all paying customers, and this is very frustrating!!

we'll try this maintenance profile suggestion, since it seems to be working for other users. confirm back when implemented and tested.

bell_user

join:2012-12-17
Montreal, QC

update:

bell tech arrived, changed the wiring, jumpers, and set a new interleave profile V26944-20032_11328-2048_66211

our browsing interruptions on the sagemcom 2864 are gone!

we called bell support multiple times in the past, but they never saw any issues with their remote line testing tools, so they would never escalate the issue and always indicate to verify all equipment after the modem (our internal network). after reading about several other users having the SAME issue, I complained to supervisors, and they finally dispatched a bell tech who seems to have fixed the problem.

hope this post and solutions help others who run into this very frustrating browsing issue. (remember any ping or line is never offline, only random browsing interruptions)

thanks!

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario

Glad it all worked out for you, enjoy!

masif

Mississauga, ON
reply to masif

Yeah, not a single disconnect since 11-Dec, 10 days of non-disruptive service

My problem is gone.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
reply to masif

My question is: if Bell knows about this problem, when are they going to address it?

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

said by Glen1:

My question is: if Bell knows about this problem, when are they going to address it?

agreed. I would love to know what exactly is it about the profile / port settings that cause this.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario
reply to Glen1

I believe not all profiles work for everyone, as techs we're SUPPOSED to do a 'final test' but a lot of times this doesn't happen... Also the limited time we're there, the problem may not rear its ugly head...

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

said by ruggs:

Also the limited time we're there, the problem may not rear its ugly head...

Thats just it, we can't be expected to wait around all day incase it MIGHT go for a crap.

I love to know if it's tied to Alcatel or Lucent equipment. Or a specific revision of one of the slot cards.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

themisa

join:2012-05-22

This ping works but browsing doesn't issue is Sagemcom specific.
Issue was definitely 'fixed' for me by switching over to a spare Cellpipe modem.

deekay0

join:2001-12-23
Toronto, ON

1 edit

said by themisa:

Issue was definitely 'fixed' for me by switching over to a spare Cellpipe modem.

I also find that the CellPipe is a bit more stable. However, it seems that the CellPipe loses sync instead of the "ping works but browsing doesn't" issue that the Sagemcom had. At least the CellPipe self recovers quickly within a minute or two.

EDIT: some more background info and my two cents. I have TekSavvy 25/7 (obviously through Bell) and had stable service for quite some time. After a while I started suffering from almost daily DSL sync losses. I was sent a new Sagemcom modem and then discovered this "can ping but can't browse" issue. Between the two issues, the CellPipe modem's symptoms are easier to deal with. I suspect some change on Bell's equipment which is manifesting as these two different issues for these two different modems.

kovy

said by deekay0:

said by themisa:

I also find that the CellPipe is a bit more stable. However, it seems that the CellPipe loses sync instead of the "ping works but browsing doesn't" issue that the Sagemcom had. At least the CellPipe self recovers quickly within a minute or two.

EDIT: some more background info and my two cents. I have TekSavvy 25/7 (obviously through Bell) and had stable service for quite some time. After a while I started suffering from almost daily DSL sync losses. I was sent a new Sagemcom modem and then discovered this "can ping but can't browse" issue. Between the two issues, the CellPipe modem's symptoms are easier to deal with. I suspect some change on Bell's equipment which is manifesting as these two different issues for these two different modems.

Well that depends since the Cellpipe firmware for wholesales was garbage would restart on its own. Some people tested without even pluggin the DSL.

themisa

join:2012-05-22

I am also with Teksavvy. Bell updated the firmware on the Cellpipe and the restarts are now gone, but that's besides the point.

Sagemcom issue clearly exists. It's hard to demonstrate to tech support since it doesn't affect ping and in some cases disappears in the time it takes to reach support, i.e. 30min.

How do we get Bell to address this globally?

kovy

said by themisa:

I am also with Teksavvy. Bell updated the firmware on the Cellpipe and the restarts are now gone, but that's besides the point.

Sagemcom issue clearly exists. It's hard to demonstrate to tech support since it doesn't affect ping and in some cases disappears in the time it takes to reach support, i.e. 30min.

How do we get Bell to address this globally?

Both the Cellpipe and Sagemcom had this problem for me. How to fix this globally, no idea.

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to masif

I have to say I asked Darryl from the Direct forum that very same question and he says that Bell is addressing the issue. He didn't say exactly how or when it would be fixed but they know about it...sorry for the vague answer but he couldn't give me a definite one.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

deekay0

join:2001-12-23
Toronto, ON
reply to masif

said by masif:

Yeah, not a single disconnect since 11-Dec, 10 days of non-disruptive service

My problem is gone.

Glad to hear that you have fixed your issue!

Do you know if the profile you were put on is an interleave profile? Have you noticed that your ping times have gone up?

Thanks

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

Pardon my interjection but all the profiles for VDSL2 are interleaved to some degree. Apparently there are 5 levels from low to high so most likely and hopefully his profile would be the lowest level and would introduce a small amount of latency. The interleave profiles on ADSL were very much greater than these and would introduce about 40 ms.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

rewket
Premium
join:2003-08-21
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to masif

i still get the same problem after having contacted live support, phone support and direct forum(who said he changed my profile)

it's total bullshit as i have had bell for many years and have had the lowest ping of everyone i know and fastest speed for my profile as well. I would not accept being put on interleave while having an awesome phone line that definitely doesnt require it. This is all on bell's side.

masif

Mississauga, ON
reply to deekay0

Honestly speaking, it seems to me that ping times have improved

Pinging to 4.2.2.2, avg response time is 32ms.

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 32ms

Drecca

join:2012-11-21
reply to masif

my ping times to WoW have increased by about 10ms. Nothing to fret over. Have not used this long enough to determine if it fixes my latency issues in WoW and voip calls (robot voice syndrome)