how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

Which Brake Pad for best Stopping Power?

Our 04 Grand Marquis got new pads and discs about 5k ago, all Centric Posi quiet. We want more stopping power. I was looking around RockAuto and other places, and narrowed my decision down to 4 different ones, and wanted to get some opinions on which to get.
1. Motorcraft Super Duty
2. PowerStop Z26 Ceramic
3. Akebono ProACT Ceramic
4. Hawk HPS

Thanks in advance.
--
No Victim=No Crime

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

4 edits
Understand ceramics may keep the heat isolated to the rotor itself, less chance of boiling fluid. The reduction in dusting of custom wheels is the real advantage to ceramics.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to billydunwood

If the Motorcraft pads are ceramic, I would use those. Remember, stopping power is a direct trade-off to quiet operation and long pad life. You have to land somewhere in the middle, and most ceramic pads designed for everyday use fit that bill.

billydunwood

united state
said by mattmag:

If the Motorcraft pads are ceramic, I would use those. Remember, stopping power is a direct trade-off to quiet operation and long pad life. You have to land somewhere in the middle, and most ceramic pads designed for everyday use fit that bill.

It said the Motorcraft were Organic, but all the others there are Ceramic. All of those brake pads have equal good reviews
--
No Victim=No Crime

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

Organic pads will probably yield the best "normal driving" stopping performance and quietest operation, but will not wear as well. You also get less fade resistance than with ceramics, but again, its all part of the trade-off.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to billydunwood
If you can engage ABS now you've got all the stopping power your brakes can provide. Different pads will have varying fade resistance and initial bite characteristics but at full brake if they can engage ABS that's going to be the hardest the car can decelerate no matter what you do with the brakes.

To improve braking after that will require better tires. More traction there = more energy transferred to the brake rotor for it to scrub off.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

billydunwood

united state
reply to billydunwood
Thanks guys for the response. I actually did further research, and I think the best pad would be the Reybestos Police Brake Pads. ATD931B. They are $100 for front and rear pads and the police use them as well. That's most likely what we will get. Let me know what you think about it.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
said by billydunwood:

I think the best pad would be the Reybestos Police Brake Pads. ATD931B.

The Police in my area used the Raybestos old SSD pads which are the ATD pads now. Fleet and Severe Duty Semi-Metallic. I used to work at the Parts Store that sold them to the City repair garage. That's what I'd use myself.

They are only $49.79 at Rock Auto each set. Where are you getting a $100 price? Run away...

I don't see a "B" pad though. There is "C" for Ceramics and "M" for Metallics and "P" for Police Package.

»www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco···ype,1684
quote:
RAYBESTOS Part # ATD932C More Info {#PGD932QS} Advanced Technology Contains Hardware
Ceramic; OE Pad Material is Ceramic; Except Police Package; Rear

$49.79

RAYBESTOS Part # ATD931C More Info {#PGD931QS} Advanced Technology Contains Hardware One of our most popular parts
Ceramic; OE Pad Material is Ceramic; Except Police Package; Recommend Installation Of Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip; Front

$49.79
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

billydunwood

united state
said by Doctor Olds:

said by billydunwood:

I think the best pad would be the Reybestos Police Brake Pads. ATD931B.

The Police in my area used the Raybestos old SSD pads which are the ATD pads now. Fleet and Severe Duty Semi-Metallic. I used to work at the Parts Store that sold them to the City repair garage. That's what I'd use myself.

They are only $49.79 at Rock Auto each set. Where are you getting a $100 price? Run away...

[att=1][att=2]

I don't see a "B" pad though. There is "C" for Ceramics and "M" for Metallics and "P" for Police Package.

»www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carco···ype,1684
quote:
RAYBESTOS Part # ATD932C More Info {#PGD932QS} Advanced Technology Contains Hardware
Ceramic; OE Pad Material is Ceramic; Except Police Package; Rear

$49.79

RAYBESTOS Part # ATD931C More Info {#PGD931QS} Advanced Technology Contains Hardware One of our most popular parts
Ceramic; OE Pad Material is Ceramic; Except Police Package; Recommend Installation Of Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip; Front

$49.79

I meant to put ATD931P. But, the $100 I said was for the front AND rear w shipping from rock auto or amazon. Thanks for the help.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by billydunwood:

I meant to put ATD931P. But, the $100 I said was for the front AND rear w shipping from rock auto or amazon. Thanks for the help.

Ah, understood. Thanks for clarification.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to billydunwood
A simple take on stopping power: your braking distance will *NEVER* be shorter than what the physics of the friction between the tire and the road dictate. If you brake harder you lock the wheels or engage the ABS. That being said ultimately they will all be the same, only at different price and with different wear and noise.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood
Been following this thread.

Is there not more having to do with braking, then just the pads?

Heat buildup, type of traffic, type of braking, Cooling between stops, Personal Style, Weight of Vehicle, Cargo, Passengers, and such?

What role does the Rotors Play? Tires? Pads? Type of Calipers? Other?

Sorry, am no expert, just thinking out loud.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
That's the gist of what I posted above.

The pads can do only so much. They apply pressure to the rotor until either they are at max pressure or they are able to stop the rotor from moving at all, thus locking the wheel. At this point the brake's friction is greater than the tire's friction against the road. Stopping performance cannot be improved past this point by doing anything further with the pads.

Then you improve the tires. Their increased traction against the road makes it harder for the pads to completely stop the wheel, allowing the pads to scrub off more energy than before. Your best deceleration happens just before wheel lockup. The tire skidding across pavement does not decelerate the vehicle as quickly as when the brakes able to turn the motion energy into heat.

Better rotors mean more resistance to overheating with repeated braking or braking from high speeds. Larger rotors can dissipate more heat and provide more available braking force due to the increased pad area. Better pads resist the heat from the severe use, either not losing performance when hot or actually getting better once they get some heat in them. Bigger calipers can exert more force on the rotors but again, this ability is wasted if the existing calipers can already stop the wheel's motion.

Vehicle type and size has little effect on braking except that less weight is easier to stop. Weight transfer means that the vast majority of braking will be done by the front rotors.

FWIW my former 01 Grand Marquis LSE's stopping was quite good with stock Ford brakes and Bridgestone Potenza RE730 tires. Most of the time people put generic rubber on family sedans. When it's time, my newly-acquired 2000 Continental will get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires just for the added capability over the standard grandma tires it has now.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

That being said ultimately they will all be the same, only at different price and with different wear and noise.

Actually, this is not true.

Pad composition has a *huge* role in dictating braking performance, and can negate the abilities of what otherwise is a well-engineered braking system. Ultimately, they are not all the same. Some folks get all gooey about things like (heaven forbid) carbon-fiber pads and then end up puzzled why the car just plain won't stop. Sure, they work just dandy at 200MPH after several hard applications that are required just to get them to a friction level that will work. But driving around town, it will feel like your brake pedal has a rock stuck under it...

That is but one example of many cases where the incorrect pad application can be a real disaster. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always make those differences clear in the face of selling their products. Go figure.