wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..

[Rant] Best Buy Returns

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a compact mini fridge from Best Buy and it was delivered by UPS and it was damaged really bad.

I emailed and then eventually called Best Buy and although I struggled to try an understand the csr, I was told that a replacement one would be shipped and that a return label would be provided for the damaged one. I believe she also said I would be billed for the second one and would be reimbursed when they received the damaged one. I was never instructed on who would pick up the damaged one, or if it was my responsibility to make arrangements. I never was billed for the second one, at least not yet.

So, fast forward a few days later, I receive the second fridge and it's even more damaged than the first one. Apparently it's a combination of poor packaging and definitely poor handling by the carriers.

Anyway, back on the phone to Best Buy and after explaining the situation, I asked if they would get someone to pick up the two damaged ones and allow me to go to my local store to see one in person. That apparently was not possible and the csr told me that someone from another department at Best Buy would call me to help with my problem.

That was four or five days ago and no call yet.

On a side note, I left a review on my purchase of this product on Best Buy but surprisingly it was never posted on their site.

Just wanted to vent a little.

Thanks for listening....

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
There has been rumors of some best buy stores closing in this area. My guess is customer service is going to suffer with downgrades.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to wideglide36
If no help soon from BestBuy, dispute it with your credit card company.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
reply to wideglide36
Curious if you've ever dealt with this locally-owned store in your area....

»www.parkstores.com/

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Just wanted to vent a little.

please post pics of the units..
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
reply to PX Eliezer70
Hey PX,

Yes, I have purchased items at this store.

I don't believe they have the exact model that I purchased from Best Buy if that was what you meant.

Thanks

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to AVD
Yeah, like an idiot, I already boxed both units back up and forgot to take pictures.

I have them taped up pretty good and would hate to do that again, but if Best Buy wants pics I would surely do it.

You'll just have to take my word that they were pretty banged up. The first one had a slight scratch along the side but the front door had a large crease in the front where it was smashed up against something.

The second one had pretty big gouges in one corner and along the sides. The front doors were fine.

We actually thought about taking the doors off of the one and switching them out with the other unit, and just living with the small scratch.

Considering warranties and all, we decided against it.

We really like the look of the fridge and want to buy one, just one that is not damaged.

I spoke with a rep from my local store to see if he could get one of these units shipped to the store, but he couldn't for some reason and advised me to go through the online people.

Still waiting for the call. Not holding my breath.

join:2012-12-11
North Coast
reply to wideglide36
You didn't say but were the packages visibly damaged on the outside?

If they were you would have been better off refusing delivery, and stating why.

Years ago I purchased a desk for home and when I unpacked it the whole corner was smashed in, the outside box was undamaged, the store replaced it with little problem(I just had to fill out a report), the only way I see that happening is it was damaged and someone put it in a new box hoping to get way with it.

Having worked in Purchasing in a medium size company for twenty years, I have loads of horror stories.

I KNOW someone will say different but you are better off being nice to CSR persons, in many cases they have loads of leeway when it comes to customer "issues".

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

H I was told that a replacement one would be shipped and that a return label would be provided for the damaged one. I believe she also said I would be billed for the second one and would be reimbursed when they received the damaged one. I was never instructed on who would pick up the damaged one, or if it was my responsibility to make arrangements. I never was billed for the second one, at least not yet.

call UPS for pick up! duh. when you get the label
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to 07108968
Burntone,

The packages had a few minor dings but considering the weight, nothing really out standing.

I'm always "nice" to csr's, my only problem was trying to understand them and also having them understand my concerns. There was definitely a language issue.

The packaging for these items are simply not sufficient and considering the way they're handled by the carriers I'm surprised any of these mini fridges arrive without being damaged.

I just want BestBuy to make arrangements for both of these items to be picked up and returned, and if possible, have one shipped to my local store for me to pick up myself, and if that's not possible, then I would like a full refund. I don't think that's unreasonable.

That's what I tried to convey to the csr and hopefully she understood me. She said I would receive a call from someone from another department and that's the latest info I have.

That was a week ago. At this point, I will either dispute the charges with my credit card company or try to call someone else at BestBuy.

It really shouldn't be this hard to return something....

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Hey PX,

Yes, I have purchased items at this store.

I don't believe they have the exact model that I purchased from Best Buy if that was what you meant.

What I meant was (sorry if I am sounding like a presumptuous ass) that if you had bought from the locally-owned store, you might have paid a little more, but not had all this problem.

And they probably could have gotten the fridge that you wanted, or something very close....

Your story is precisely why I wouldn't buy a major appliance item from Best Buy.

Now, I will buy such things from Sears, but they have their act together far better than Best Buy does. Or else we use the locally-owned businesses.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
What does the local business do differently' drop ship from the internet of local warehouse?
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

PX Eliezer70
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
With a true locally owned business, he can go and talk to the people at the local store, probably even the owner.

Because of this, problems are less likely to occur from the start. They won't screw it up, because they know that an angry customer would march through the door.

------------------------------------------

With Best Buy, he has to deal with a huge corporation. The people in the local Best Buy branch have neither the motivation, inclination, information, or authority, to do anything for him. AND in this case he was specifically told that the local Best Buy branch was not even part of the picture.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to PX Eliezer70
Totally understand where you're coming from PX.

I do try to shop locally as much as possible and down through the years have purchased various items from this store that you linked to.

Also, understand that I'm cheap like a lot of other folks, and if I see a much much better deal, I will buy online from time to time.

I have never purchased a major appliance online but did in fact buy a big screen TV at Amazon. And when I had problems with the TV, Amazon was great in offering to come and get the set and replace it with a new one. It never came to that though as the problems resolved on their own.

I have purchased other items online from BestBuy and never had any problems, but I realize a small appliance weighing around 95lbs, is another story.

We really like the fridge and want to buy one, but BestBuy needs to step up and help us out.

We could probably get them to send another replacement fridge, but I highly doubt that it would arrive unscathed.

What would be so hard to ship one to our local store for us to pick up there?

Just don't get it.....