spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cleanaudi

@rr.com

[TWC] TW Internet Ultra 50/5mbit getting only 1mb/sec Usenet

Hi guys I have TW Internet and on usenet servers I get only 1mb download speed. It should be around 6.1mb/sec but for the past week or two it seems my speeds on Usenet servers have been throttled down. On speedtest.net I get the full 50mbit, yet on Usenet its not working right. What can be causing this? It's not a Usenet related issue as I've tested with my friends usenet service and its the same thing.

Thanks

cquick11
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Los Angeles, CA

It's the same thing for me. So, I did some testing from my work and it gets full download speed like 10Mbps. At my house, if I use Usenet to dl, it caps at like 1.4Mbps, but the strange thing is, if I include another Usenet provider in my client, it doubles to to 2.8Mbps (60 connections total). I can dl from MS at 6.1 because I have the same 50/5 and this has been happening for about a week. I even changed ports to 443,80,23, non ssl, 119, all the same thing. TW has definitely changed something but I can't figure out what. My Usenet providers are are two different networks too. I started to think it was my router, but nothing has changed except the dl speeds to Usenet.

SyphonBW

join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi

WOW glad this was brought up.In ohio here and i am having the exact same slow speeds..Changing ports to non-ssl nothing works
30/5 here but only get like 1.5mb a sec instead of 3.7mb.It has to be TWC doing this.Usenetserver.com service here.Traceroutes are fine here.3 different newsreaders and all have the same speeds.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

And I assume you already talked to usenetserver.com to ensure their servers are not throttling your downloads?

Hob

SyphonBW

Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi

I personally have not because they have a network status update page whenever they have problems going on.

cquick11
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

I tested my accounts at work, and I get full speeds. Only at home, I use TW and I am capped to around 1.5 per account. When I use all my Usenet providers combined to dl, I get 4.5Mbps.

Maybe Usenet providers are being flagged.

delar

join:2004-04-20
Honolulu, HI

1 recommendation

reply to cleanaudi

I've got 30/5 and Giganews has been slow the last 2-3 weeks. Was always able to peg my max d/l speed but lately can only get 1/4 to 1/3 max speed. Need to use all 20 connections just to get that.....fewer connections, slower speed.

Speed tests and other downloads still show that I have the service I'm paying for, its just not working with usenet. Changing ports, reconfiguring router, rebooting modem.......no effect. This sucks.

mpr86

join:2005-10-10
Beverly Hills, CA

This is cleanaudi the original poster (didnt log in during my first post)

Yes we need to all report this to TWC. I really hope this is not permanent or my 50/5 is literally useless..

silentjoker

join:2008-09-13
Hermitage, PA

check to make sure your modem is bonded to 4 downstream channels also check levels.

my modem randomly rebooted one time and when it booted up only locked on to one downstream channel so your speed would be heavily degraded and cause other problems etc.

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA

yup 6 channels bonded

cleanaudi

@rr.com
reply to cleanaudi

So I've talked to TimeWarner they claim nothing is being capped.

I have two seperate TimeWarner connections here at home (a 50/5 and a lower one) and both don't work correctly.

At the office, I have TimeWarner as well, yet it seems that one is fine (I haven't tested a download there but I did the following):

Go to: »www.giganews.com/performance.html

Under Newsgroup Download Speed Test click on Test. If testing keeps blinking yet nothing else happens then something is being blocked. At work when I do this it actually works, but at home with 50/5 it just keeps blinking meaning there is some sort of block to the servers happening by TimeWarner.

I even had Tier 3 tech support go to that website and attmept the same thing and it seems his connection to the speed test was blocked as well. This is not a Usenet server provider issue, instead this is definietly a TW block/cap UGh

delar

Honolulu, HI

1 recommendation

said by cleanaudi :

Go to: »www.giganews.com/performance.html

Under Newsgroup Download Speed Test click on Test. If testing keeps blinking yet nothing else happens then something is being blocked. At work when I do this it actually works, but at home with 50/5 it just keeps blinking meaning there is some sort of block to the servers happening by TimeWarner.

I noticed the same yesterday. The Giganews speed test just sits there and does nothing but blink "testing" at me.

What's really weird though is that I just tried to d/l something and it came down at full speed. But for 2 weeks straight up till just now it was slow. Strange timing. Will check again in the a.m.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cleanaudi

I have 20Mbs turbo. I use Newsleecher 5.0 beta 16 with newsleecher's usenet service and usenetnow.net's service and I max out my line with no problems. I also have the same experience using sabnzb with the same servers. Have you tried lowering or raising the number of connections you are using in order to see if that does anything? I use 15 connections each in my setup.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY
reply to cleanaudi

I am not sure if this is relevant. Many usenet index sites have shut down the past two weeks (nzbmatrix, newsbin.es).

The download issue happened to me before. However, often after a week or two, it's usually "fixed". Once, I was sure TWC was throttling. Another time, they had a bad router somewhere which took them a month to fix.

cquick11
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

This is still happening to me. I directly connected the modem, and checked that way. Can't max out the connections, unless I use multiple providers. Modem looks good, router looks good, sabnzb works good. Only thing left is my ISP, not sure what to do next.

delar

Honolulu, HI

Still happening here too. It was fine this morning (Monday) like it was when I left it the night before. Checked at a friends house later this a.m. and it was good there too. Came home tonight and now its back to 1/3 speed, so I don't know what's going on.

cquick11
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

www.giganews.com/performance.html this just blinks for me too.

Delar what type of modem you do have? mine is sbg6580

delar

Honolulu, HI

Same modem here.

Friend has 10/1 service and a different modem (Scientific Atlanta), but still had the same problem.

SyphonBW

Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi

Still happening to me to in NEO
Thanks TWC COCKS!!

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to cleanaudi

I hope this is just a outage and not something thats being done on purpose

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to cleanaudi

us giganews server simply reaching usage limits I think, just use half connections to connect to the euro giga server at same time and it may help u in overall speed.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
reply to cleanaudi

Are you sure it's just usenet? I also have the 50 meg service. I am only seeing 1meg download speeds using speedtest.net.

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA

You are only getting 1mb on speedtest? Thats something up with your connection

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
reply to cleanaudi

Something changed. Speedtest.net is now showing 40meg down. Astraweb with NewsBin is showing about 21meg down speeds.

mpr86

Beverly Hills, CA
reply to kilrathi

hmm yes this has actually helped a bit. but i doub tthis is a giganews problem as i've tried other newsgroup providers

SyphonBW

Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi

Still the same old crap in NEO.Speedtests show 30mb everytime but 1.2mb max on usenet.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to cleanaudi

I have no issues just remember to try variety of ports your usenet server supports/ssl/vpn

SyphonBW

Alliance, OH
reply to cleanaudi

Tried them all ssl and non ssl.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to cleanaudi

FWIW, I have no problems getting 30 MBits here. Using port 443 with SSL.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to delar

said by delar:

I've got 30/5 and Giganews has been slow the last 2-3 weeks. Was always able to peg my max d/l speed but lately can only get 1/4 to 1/3 max speed. Need to use all 20 connections just to get that.....fewer connections, slower speed.

Speed tests and other downloads still show that I have the service I'm paying for, its just not working with usenet. Changing ports, reconfiguring router, rebooting modem.......no effect. This sucks.

Same here with my TWC's 10/1 and 15/1 with GigaNews the last few weeks. I don't know what's up!