Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

4 recommendations

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Exterior Outlet Upgrade

said by IowaCowboy:

Rant: Each project I undertake turns into another 2-3 trips to Lowe's Depot. I originally picked up the new cover, then I backed out the screws to attach the new cover, they broke off so it turns into a replacement of the box and the outlet.

You just discovered Murphy's Law of Home Improvement: No plumbing, electrical, or <insert other tradecraft> non-trivial DIY home improvement task can be performed properly with less than 3 trips to a hardware store or home center. If an applicable task can be performed in under 3 trips, you either are a professional tradecraftsman with a ready supply of parts, or you did it wrong.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by cdru:

If an applicable task can be performed in under 3 trips, you either are a professional tradecraftsman with a ready supply of parts, or you did it wrong.

Or you have a ton of left overs from other projects where you bought way too many things (to avoid multiple trips) and was too lazy to return the left-overs

I have enough left overs to put in 3 new outdoor receptacles!

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by alkizmo:

said by cdru:

If an applicable task can be performed in under 3 trips, you either are a professional tradecraftsman with a ready supply of parts, or you did it wrong.

Or you have a ton of left overs from other projects where you bought way too many things (to avoid multiple trips) and was too lazy to return the left-overs

I have enough left overs to put in 3 new outdoor receptacles!

thats what i was thinking, my workshop is full of spares, plumbing and electrical, as the years go by the useless trips become fewer and fewer. I am lucky though, i have a big box home center within a 5 minute walk of my house.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

You just discovered Murphy's Law of Home Improvement: No plumbing, electrical, or <insert other tradecraft> non-trivial DIY home improvement task can be performed properly with less than 3 trips to a hardware store or home center.

Corollary:
said by me :

You cannot to go Home Depot exactly one time in a day: it's either zero, or 2, 3, 4, etc.

--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

My friend and I got an early start on replacing two furnaces in his duplex house. On our first trip to the hardware store we told the proprietor (not the sales kid) what we were doing. The first words out of his mouth were "We're open until 7 today." I think that project took five or six trips.

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by garys_2k:

My friend and I got an early start on replacing two furnaces in his duplex house. On our first trip to the hardware store we told the proprietor (not the sales kid) what we were doing. The first words out of his mouth were "We're open until 7 today." I think that project took five or six trips.

It is worse when the store clerk yells out loud to his associate "See I told you he would be back, now pay up."