cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Re: Hauge water treatment (filtration, r osmosis and softening)

Hope I wasn't too confusing, but the Water softener and filtration is all in one in a 16"(l)x16"(w)x42"(h) unit that does go in line with the water main and the rest of the home down in a mechanical room / laundry or wherever you can get the plumbing. There is another unit that looks the same (same dimensions and casing) that the "solar salt" goes into.

Under the kitchen sink is where they put the reverse osmosis system. It looked like there were two filters on it and a storage tank. It could produce 25 gallons a day. That would be piped through its own spigot at the kitchen sink, but under the sink were our line to the fridge runs, they would attach that as well. We do have ice and water dispensing through the fridge and it does taste better because I have a water filter (GE filtration) as a part of the fridge itself. The sales guy said that's just a carbon filter and it may help with the chlorine and taste but other than that it's not doing anything at all.

Anyway he said this water system was state of the art because it regenerates in 25 minutes and only uses 15 gallons of water. It also makes no noise and runs on 12 VDC so it uses very little electricity. The other selling point is that it does filtration in one so I would see 60% improvement in water quality with just this unit.

Supposedly install is $700 for this and the RO system together, no matter how long it takes - including if they have to run an electric outlet for the power supply. It was one of those act now and get free install and huge discounts! I just can't make a $4000-$5000 decision on a whim like that. I didn't do it so apparently my name and address is flagged in the system now where I can't get a deal like that ever again...

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

It also makes no noise and runs on 12 VDC so it uses very little electricity. The other selling point is that it does filtration in one so I would see 60% improvement in water quality with just this unit.

The voltage doesn't have anything to do with how much power it uses! It's just a scam saying low voltage uses less power.

Supposedly install is $700 for this and the RO system together, no matter how long it takes - including if they have to run an electric outlet for the power supply. It was one of those act now and get free install and huge discounts! I just can't make a $4000-$5000 decision on a whim like that. I didn't do it so apparently my name and address is flagged in the system now where I can't get a deal like that ever again...

Just more of their scam. If it costs the same no matter how difficult the installation is somebody obviously if overpaying. High pressure sales with buy it now or else never again throw in your face is also another obvious sign of a scam. No matter how good the product don't fall for it.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

It also makes no noise and runs on 12 VDC so it uses very little electricity.

Water softeners do not use electricity to soften water.

The only part that uses electricity is the electronic timer mechanism.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Consumer Reports best water softeners

Water softeners come in 4 different types. Consumer reports gives you both the advantages and disadvantages of all four types. They also provide you with the top 5 brands of water softeners. Consumer reports uses actual reviews from consumers who have used these water softeners.Consumer reports can give you a more realistic idea of how a water softener will actually preform than information
provided by the manufacturer.The four types of water softeners are Ion exchange, salt free, reverse osmosis and magnetic. Salt free water softeners are the preferred type by consumers.Salt free uses a filter so no chemicals, potassium or salt is required. This means that the minerals in the water are not effected. The only disadvantage is that they are not recommended for very hard water. Ion exchange softeners exchange the ions in the water with sodium or potassium ions. This removes the ions that cause the hardness in water and can prolong the use of washing machines and dish washers. This type is not recommended for drinking water due to the high sodium levels. Magnetic softeners use magnets in or around water pipes so that the magnetic field will alter the water. The disadvantage is that water will return to a hard stage within 48 hours after leaving the magnetic field.Reverse osmosis softeners use pressure to remove impurities through a semi-permeable membrane. This does remove up to 98% of impurities but it also removes minerals and nutrients at the same time.The top 5 brands chosen by consumers are Culligan, Tapworks AD, Kinetico 2020, Soo-Soft digital water treatment system and The Pelican PSE1800. Tapworks is a reverse osmosis water softener. Soo-soft is a magnetic water softener that is very environmentally safe. Culligan and Kinetico are both Ion exchange type softeners. The Pelican is the highest rated water softener because it provides both filtration and softening. More reference links: health-individual.com www.allwaterpurification.com www.reference.com
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

Jack , I am not too sure that link is actually from what everyone thinks of as Consumer Reports . If you go to the real website , the only tests or ratings seem to be for water filters .
»www.consumerreports.org/ ··· uide.htm

Reading the site you posted , and following some of the links on that site , I would strongly recommend double checking everything posted on it .

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

You're right. I should have looked closer as the site was designed to be just a little misleading.

»news.consumerreports.org ··· ers.html

Consumer reports does not test softeners but this link is legit.