All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to darcilicious

to darcilicious

Re: It is possible? Usenet is Dead?

The DMCAs being issued were because of the indexing sites like Matrix. The algorithm that the copyright trolls are using is nothing more than a glorified spam filter. In other words, they were using these indexing sites to do their work for them. If they didn't have "public" sites to work off of, I guarantee you that the DMCA notices would drastically reduce on their own.
said by El Quintron:

said by darcilicious:

Right. Somehow I was getting the impression that folks thought that having their own indexer would be some kind of way around the DMCA issue.

The reason I was investigating was that I figured by querying the servers directly, I could access content faster than by using binsearch. I wish I has already tested this theory so I could confirm (or deny) this.

Cheers,
EQ

That is my train of thought also.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by sandman_1:

The DMCAs being issued were because of the indexing sites like Matrix. The algorithm that the copyright trolls are using is nothing more than a glorified spam filter. In other words, they were using these indexing sites to do their work for them. If they didn't have "public" sites to work off of, I guarantee you that the DMCA notices would drastically reduce on their own.

I believe the indexing sites were nothing but a tool to do a little "clean up" to get the harder to find articles that their own newsnab type indexer may have missed.