how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

phnord6

join:2012-12-10
Port Washington, NY

Possible To Reboot An ONT Via Network?

I have problem - my Router seems to lose its connection every so often. Sometimes it stays up for weeks without fail, sometimes it goes down every 30 minutes. When this happens, rebooting the ONT solves the issue... but it's fairly annoying to have to go to where the box is, unplug it from the wall, unplug the battery and plug it all back in.

Now, I know that I can always call Verizon and ask them to send a reboot signal to the ONT - but obviously I don't want to call the Verizon tech when I can take care of it myself.

What I'm wondering is this: is it possible as a consumer to send a reboot signal to my own router?

I'm wondering if it is possible to do this...

* From my router's page in my browser
* By telneting into my router and issuing a command
* Via some other method from my local network
* From an external network (aka via my phone's connection)

I imagine that if Verizon can reboot the ONT remotely, there must be *some* way for me to do so as well... although I don't know if that is public information or not. Any thoughts?

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
you can reboot the ONT via the Verizon Outage Page www.verizon.com/outage

on that page it says "Resetting my FiOS services once the power comes back on
Reset your Optical Network Terminal (ONT)"

If you have a smart phone on 3g you can probably go in there and do it from 3 or 4g. Obviously your internet is down so you can't do it from your FiOS.

OR instead of the big reboot procedure you are doing, sometimes it's good enough to just hold down the Battery alarm silence, and the emergency battery use button on the Battery Back up unit. I think you hold them down for about 20 seconds, and that is supposed to reboot the ONT as well.

phnord6

join:2012-12-10
Port Washington, NY
I'll definitely try the former!

As to the latter, for some reason that doesn't work on my model. I know it's supposed to on all models installed since 2009, and mine was just installed this year, but holding both of them down does nothing :/

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to phnord6
Just because this solves the problem, it does not mean you have to live with it. Call Verizon and have then fix the problem. I have never had to reboot the ONT for over 5 years. You should not have to.

You can get power strips that can be controlled over the network. They are used in server rooms and tend to cost a lot - several hundred dollars.

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink
reply to phnord6
Something is wonky as this shouldn't happen. Might be ONT on the Fritz. Could be the BBU / PSU also going crazy.

Are you sure it's not a router issue?

I recently signed up and was using their latest "N" Actiontec Gigabit router and literally every 30 minutes it locked up and I would have to reboot it. So I went to local FiOS store and traded it in for an old Revison E. It's been a solid replacement until I can buy the real router I want.

eival

join:2008-07-09
reply to phnord6
you can reboot it using the battery backup unit, hold the reset button for 30 seconds till it reboots