how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gerryex

join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL

Digital Voice - any down side?

My 2 year bundle deal is up next month and I'm looking to lock into a new 2 year deal. All the bundles include Digital Voice rather than the POTS service (Freedom Essentials, I think) that I now have. I know with DV you always have to dial the area code but never need the 1- but are there any down sides to using DV? Does it work well with faxing?

I know DV is V's version of VOIP but over their intra-net rather than the public Internet so I have no problem with the technical implementation. But I just want to know how it works in day to day usage.

Thanks,
Gerry

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
It works fine. Not a single problem for 2 years while I had it. Tried faxing a couple times and it worked.

I now have Anveo and will never go back to DV if I can help it. Their feature set is really rudimentary next to Anveo. I've been receiving a lot of spam calls recently, almost always new caller id. All DV gives you is black-listing 5 or 10 numbers. With Anveo I whitelisted friends/family/coworkers, the rest have to press a key to get connected or else they are just dropped to voicemail and my phone never rings. I don't even use blacklist anymore

AndrewNewton

join:2003-09-12
Chestnut Hill, MA
reply to Gerryex
No problem at all for three years with frequent faxing, and this under audited security for both our jobs. You can block up to 10 numbers which works fine for us, occasionally deleting a number to make room for another. We like the simultaneous ring: you set it to ring another number (like a cell) when the home phone rings: whichever one gets answered first gets the call. Also no problem for the home security system over DV. We were used to 10-digit dialling from the late 1980s elsewhere in the US and already had it locally by the time we went to Fios, so no biggie. We had the copper removed from the house entirely as it was an ugly install and at times came down in storms anyway.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Gerryex
VZ DV is a non-regulated service. If you have problems dealing with VZ you have no recource to your state public utilities comission.

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to Gerryex
I'm liking it.
I have it set up to e-mail me any voice mails.
The phone I use the most can be set up to recognize the fact there is a voice mail, so I get the same blinking LED I had b4 when I used my own answering machine.
I can access my voice mails directly from the menus on my STB.
Not crazy about having to dial 10 digits to make local calls, but not a BIG concern.
--
Roadkill 2015

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by lew_b:

Not crazy about having to dial 10 digits to make local calls, but not a BIG concern.

We've been doing this for a very long time, so no issues there.

I'm very happy with FiOS DV. No reason whatsoever for a traditional POTS line as far as I'm concerned.

Don't care about regulated vs. unregulated - I have multiple cell phones as backups if DV is down (it never has been, btw), and barring that, I can make some phone calls to make things happen at VZ if need be.

Big win for me - save money, works great, and I absolutely love the "voicemail as email" feature...

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3
reply to Gerryex
I'm happy with DV as well, but it was sure nice having a backup POTS lines when I had no power for 14 days. Cell service is pretty bad and my house and the battery was going to fast the first few days. It really helped us stay connected to friends and family.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to Gerryex
I have had a problem with receiving faxes via DV. My fax machine is less than 5 years old and some incoming faxes won't print in their entirety. Verizon says there isn't anything they can do and HP says since the machine is out of warranty, they won't help. Actually, HP's advice was to "buy a new machine".

Gerryex

Land O Lakes, FL
reply to Gerryex
Hi ALL,

Thanks for all the feedback! It looks like if I want to get a bundle I have no choice but to go with DV, but based on your comments it looks like it will be no problem.

What I still hate is having to call V to try and get as good a deal as I can. Yes, I know I can do it on-line and I will go that route first but I'll still probably want to talk to a human before I sign up to a new bundle.

Thanks again,
Gerry

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Gerryex
DV is good

Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA
reply to Gerryex
only thing you may want to look into is if DV will affect you house alarm system ( if you have one).

There were a few companies that had an issue working with DV. You may be able to call your alarm company ahead of time and see if they are compatible.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Gerryex
One down side is it needs power to run after the 8 hours battery back up runs down you will have to service if the power goes out for that long.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by chip89:

One down side is it needs power to run after the 8 hours battery back up runs down you will have to service if the power goes out for that long.

Does not apply to OP as he is already FiOSed. Not copper.

Gerryex

Land O Lakes, FL
said by birdfeedr:

Does not apply to OP as he is already FiOSed. Not copper.

Yes, that is correct I'm already FiOSed! Even though I'm currently not on Digital Voice if the power goes out I still only have about 8 hours of phone service.

Again, thanks to all for your many comments.

Gerry

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to Gerryex
It works OK for me. Analog modem is hit or miss. It's not very stable.

Faxed twice and it worked OK.

Sometimes when you get a loud sound (voice, tone, etc.) it drops out for a split second. Which is probably why modems don't work properly.

Light Guy

join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ
reply to Gerryex
said by Gerryex:

I know with DV you always have to dial the area code but never need the 1

I`m pretty sure you will need the 1 for out of state calls but this is true for Pots as well.
I also believe there is a restriction about accepting collect calls, certainly not a big deal these days for most folks.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
No, with Digital Voice you do not dial the 1 for out of state calls which is confusing because you have to for all other carriers.