share rss forum feed

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Anyone order the 27" iMac, what is your ship date

Mine is the first week of January and I ordered pretty early. I thought that the 27" was supposed to start shipping this month.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

Re: Anyone order the 27" iMac, what is your ship date

Some people may get them this month, but the majority will ship in January.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I wasn't sure if it was a manufacturing delay...as in problems or if they actually had so many preorders that even early orders were pushed into January.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Mine is the first week of January and I ordered pretty early. I thought that the 27" was supposed to start shipping this month.

You are so freakin' spoiled!! Are you going to do dual monitor with the Thunderbolt?
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Naw, 27" is plenty of real estate for me. I have a 30" with the soon to be retired 2006 Mac Pro in my home office now and that is more than enough. At work I use a base i5 mini with a T-Bolt and with Spaces I'm not needing more desktop. My nephew is the spoiled one who will inherit that 30" Dell panel for the new i7K+680GTX game rig he is getting for Christmas. Flippin' brat!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

You better get him SLI 680GTX if he plans to play at the native res of the 30" with good details & framerates...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

That will be up to him to pony up for. I went way overboard as it is and the monitor didn't come up until after I had ordered the new iMac. My violin will be playing over his crappy frame rates

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

ROFL!

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to skeechan

Mine still says Dec 24th -31st but I am about to cancel due to the fact that the VESA mounting abilities have been removed from the 27"ers this time around. I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Pro(maybe retina) and then using a thunderbolt monitor instead.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Better S or get off the pot, being the 24th is less than 2 weeks out now. I love my rMBP but for me iTunes library storage would make running that kind of setup a pain in the ass. I use home sharing every day.

RiseAbove
Premium

said by skeechan:

Better S or get off the pot, being the 24th is less than 2 weeks out now. I love my rMBP but for me iTunes library storage would make running that kind of setup a pain in the ass. I use home sharing every day.

Well the Macbook Pro would just be a glorified mac Mini sitting there, I would hardly ever use it as a full fledged laptop. Plus with the Thunderbolt display it would have the ability to have firewire 800 hooked up, which I use now for my storage. I just want an Imac that is ivy bridge based, SSD boots, and can be VESA mounted which means I probably need a macbook pro because the Mini would not work for what I want with all the connections.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

What would a mini + TBolt display be missing?

RiseAbove
Premium

said by skeechan:

What would a mini + TBolt display be missing?

A decent dedicated GPU and another thunderbolt port.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

It'd be cool if Apple could integrate a GPU in the TBolt display...

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by HiVolt:

Kinda like a TV? Hmmmm
--

RiseAbove
Premium
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

That's actually brillant I wonder if they have made engineering samples that did that. You could take that one step further and have part of that monitor interchangeable so you could do upgrades to newer GPU's over time.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

It would make an already expensive panel even more so.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to RiseAbove

Aside from games I haven't had any problems with my HD 3000. I watch full screen 1080P video and run ACAD and NX and it never skips a beat.

RiseAbove
Premium
reply to skeechan

I officially canceled my order last week once I got confirmation that VESA mounting would not be possible.

Instead I tracked down the last 2011/12 revision that was made and maxed it out. Got a pretty good deal on a used one along with apple care till 2015.

3.4 ghz i7 quad core
256 SSD
1 TB hard drive
20GB Ram
ATI Radeon 6970 with 2GB ram
Add on two thunderbolt ports and you got a lot of possibilities.

This should last me a good long time and hopefully to a point where Apple will have put the VESA back into it.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by RiseAbove:

This should last me a good long time and hopefully to a point where Apple will have put the VESA back into it.

I wouldnt count on it, since its obvious that making it thinner required sacrificing the vesa mount option...

You know, cuz the 5mm edges are just that important... sigh...
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Maybe some 3rd party will come up with some shelf mount that instead of mounting VESA to a wall mount it mounts the base to a shelf that is on the wall mounted arm.

RiseAbove
Premium

said by skeechan:

Maybe some 3rd party will come up with some shelf mount that instead of mounting VESA to a wall mount it mounts the base to a shelf that is on the wall mounted arm.

They have this god awful looking thing right now-
»imacmount.com/

Only way to get the base off is to completely take it apart and get access to the screws holding it together. I know a lot of people who use the VESA mounts and they are not happy in the least.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I was thinking something that would utilize the bottom stand as part of a keyboard/mouse shelf for wall mounted workstations. I would certainly go for that. If I need the desk space, I could plop the KB on the under-monitor shelf.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to skeechan

Just got notice that mined shipped, about 1 week ahead of the original schedule. Not a US assembled model as it is coming out of China via UPS for arrival Friday.

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to RiseAbove

said by RiseAbove:

They have this god awful looking thing right now-
»imacmount.com/

Thanks dude I just threw-up a little bit in my mouth! Anyone that would use those are out of their minds.
--