uniqs
share rss forum feed

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2
reply to globus9991

Re: Why is Tek still keeping logs???

They are not required to keep logs for copyright alone. There are other illegal ways to use the internet that law enforcement has requested this information be retained. And it should be, and it should be available to law enforcement through court order with evidence showing wrong doing.

globus9991

join:2004-11-14
Argelia
said by Samgee:

They are not required to keep logs for copyright alone. There are other illegal ways to use the internet that law enforcement has requested this information be retained. And it should be, and it should be available to law enforcement through court order with evidence showing wrong doing.

Excuse me but: "law enforcement has requested this information be retained", who *exactly* is "law enforcement"????

If it is just cops, then it is NOT *legally* binding. Tek does NOT have to log. They are simply co-operating voluntarily. They DO NOT have to log anything.

If I am mistaken, the please produce the law or its regulations pointing at mandatory logs.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by globus9991:

Tek does NOT have to log. They are simply co-operating voluntarily. They DO NOT have to log anything.

You said you're not a lawyer, so how can you make such a definite claim in regards to all of the laws on the books that could relate to this?

globus9991

join:2004-11-14
Argelia
said by bt:

said by globus9991:

Tek does NOT have to log. They are simply co-operating voluntarily. They DO NOT have to log anything.

You said you're not a lawyer, so how can you make such a definite claim in regards to all of the laws on the books that could relate to this?

Because I have been dealing with similar laws in an IT environment for... uh... 20 or so years. All the information I have at hand indicates that they DO NOT have to log. Again, they have retained counsel. Was this question posed to counsel and what *exactly* was the answer? If Tek is *so* transparent then I see no reason not to post such answer publicly. It is certainly NOT financially-sensitive information. To the contrary, it can be quite financially rewarding having Tek publicly declare that they will keep no logs and hence *really* protecting their customers.

UK_Dave

join:2011-01-27
Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Samgee
Lots of folks talking around the subject here.... i.e why ISP's might or might not.

When you say "They are not required to keep logs for copyright alone" - it implies you know, or think, that there ACTUALLY IS a legal requirement for ISP's to keep logs.

Am I right? If so, what is your source, and what do you believe that legal retention time to be?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
Gang, I'll be posting a blog later today about exactly this.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

UK_Dave

Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

Marc, hope you're doing OK.

I for one would be really interested in the following:

1. What is the starting point for all ISP's? i.e What is the legal minimum time for which logs must be kept.

2. What is the TSI retention policy? i.e Is it at or above the legal minimum?

3. What is the reason for the discrepency between 1 and 2 (if one exists)?

Assuming there is a law for it, Question 1 is a generic answer.

Question 2 should, I believe, be an answer customers would like to know.

Question 3, is none of my business, but you might wish to explain some further info if there is indeed a discrepency between 1 and 2.

Cheers,
Dave

p.s I'm looking into answers to Q1 through a number of sources right now.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
said by UK_Dave:

Marc, hope you're doing OK.

I for one would be really interested in the following:

1. What is the starting point for all ISP's? i.e What is the legal minimum time for which logs must be kept.

2. What is the TSI retention policy? i.e Is it at or above the legal minimum?

3. What is the reason for the discrepency between 1 and 2 (if one exists)?

Assuming there is a law for it, Question 1 is a generic answer.

Question 2 should, I believe, be an answer customers would like to know.

Question 3, is none of my business, but you might wish to explain some further info if there is indeed a discrepency between 1 and 2.

Cheers,
Dave

p.s I'm looking into answers to Q1 through a number of sources right now.

Tx Dave. doing ok.

yep. I've been trying to get to the bottom of those same answers too..

2. is already answered.. we currently store logs for 90 days...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

UK_Dave

Powassan, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

2 edits
Glad to hear it, Marc. This must be a stressful time, and I'm sure most of us on here appreciate having such an accessible CEO.

To let you know, and to avoid setting multiple rabbits running, I have questions lodged with:

1. The CRTC (awaiting call back with a quotable qource).

2. The CAIP (A great chat, with an opinion attached, but I'm awaiting permission to quote following further legal clarification.)

3. A friendly provincial Member of Parliament who has connections with folks at Trade and Commerce. I have also asked them to point me somewhere to answer the question of IP ADDRESS does not equal a PERSON.

4. A personal contact within a legal practice.

EDIT 5: The Candian Office of The Privacy Commisioner. (Declared that they have no legislation on the issue of Data Retention, other to offer advice and advocacy).

EDIT 6: Industry Canada. (Awaiting a call back 24-48 hours to see if they believe they have a say in the matter presently, and if so, what it is).

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Cheers
Dave

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
said by UK_Dave:

Glad to hear it, Marc. This must be a stressful time, and I'm sure most of us on here appreciate having such an accessible CEO.

To let you know, and to avoid setting multiple rabbits running, I have questions lodged with:

1. The CRTC (awaiting call back with a quotable qource).

2. The CAIP (A great chat, with an opinion attached, but I'm awaiting permission to quote following further legal clarification.)

3. A friendly provincial Member of Parliament who has connections with folks at Trade and Commerce. I have also asked them to point me somewhere to answer the question of IP ADDRESS does not equal a PERSON.

4. A personal contact within a legal practice.

EDIT 5: The Candian Office of The Privacy Commisioner. (Declared that they have no legislation on the issue of Data Retention, other to offer advice and advocacy).

EDIT 6: Industry Canada. (Awaiting a call back 24-48 hours to see if they believe they have a say in the matter presently, and if so, what it is).

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Cheers
Dave

I'm on a similar quest, Dave. I think I need to read everything Michael Geist has written on the subject and then send him a couple of follow-up questions. He really is the Canadian expert on such matters.