Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to pflog

Re: Troubleshooting fast batt-drain....

said by pflog:

You should NOT be using a task killer on Android 4.x.

Please stop spreading this FUD ! I've been hearing this since Android 1.6. Oh, and you forgot "Android is Linux-based - it doesn't need a task killer".

Why does HTC develop and include a task killer with their phones (others may as well but I've no experience - anyone know ?) ? Why does AOSP incorporate a task killer ?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
said by Hall:

said by pflog:

You should NOT be using a task killer on Android 4.x.

Please stop spreading this FUD ! I've been hearing this since Android 1.6. Oh, and you forgot "Android is Linux-based - it doesn't need a task killer".

Why does HTC develop and include a task killer with their phones (others may as well but I've no experience - anyone know ?) ? Why does AOSP incorporate a task killer ?

It's not FUD. What YOU'RE spreading is FUD. If an app is written poorly and is constantly causing wakelocks and does not have a persistent service that restarts, killing it can help. But having an app that sits there killing things on an interval WILL cause worse battery drain with apps that aren't total junk.

The OP should be using better battery stats (or similar) to find the app that's misbehaving instead of running a task killer. Period.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to Hall
»www.howtogeek.com/127388/htg-exp···android/

»www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02/re···eed-one/

»geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-u···android/

I could find a dozen more. But you get the point. The first link explains in detail exactly what I said - while killing a misbehaving app is good, it's like using a shotgun to kill a fly. Find the misbehaving app, remove or disable it. Problem solved.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates