how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

Why did you leave GW2? will you return?

This is a serious question. And I'm not here to pass judgement or defend the game whatsoever. But I have noticed from first launch that some people have seemed to have left and have not come back... including:

Krisnatharok, Tigerlord, I AM, Jobbie, Arch (i think), 47, etc... (if I am mistaken please let me know)

I was a long time WoW player, and obsessed with WoW PvP before GW2.

For me, my first experience with GW2 was rough. Rubberbanding was terrible, my graphics were as slow as garbage, until I built my own machine, and Anet optimized graphics. Targeting was problematic. (All of these have since been fixed.)

Initially wrapping my brain around how things worked in GW2 was painful. I actually had to change the way I thought about mmos before I really started enjoying it.

So why did you leave? will you come back?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

I love GW2, I actually logged in today an worked on a new Elementalist.

I am stuck with WoW until march next year because of the Anual Pass, so I thought that I could play the new WoW expansion while it lasted.

I will come back to it in time, the lack of a monthly sub and the game being awesome make it totally worth it.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to TheThing

Why did you leave GW2?
Been there done that.

will you return?
Waiting for expansion.

TheThing

i thought i was blocked!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

said by TheThing:

i thought i was blocked!

wha?

TheThing

Fizzy had me blocked for a while there

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
reply to TheThing

too be honest...i leveled my ranger to max and the prof felt...underwhelming or more to the point, plain boring. I have been traveling for a bit but will be back home soon and hope to jump back in. Plan on rolling with a Guardian this time around as they seem to have a more active playstyle (dodging, good weapon sync and others).
As i never got into crafting, which would you all suggest? I was thinking cooking and armorsmith. What say you?

TheThing

dont know much about armorsmithing, but cooking would be great because it can benefit all your toons, not just 1

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to TheThing

left due to dungeons, will I come back? Possibly, started to re-download the game right before checking the boards. Tbh, with MoP, football, and college, my time has been split in too many directions.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
reply to TheThing

Yea I have a bad habit of obsession when it comes to games. Jobbie plays 10 games at a time. I have issues balancing 2. Right now Cod BO2 is taking mucho time because I have 7-8 RL friends that are playing almost all the time.
--
O you want me to watch my mouth. How. Take my fucking eye balls out and turn them around. Look. I'll burn your fucking house down circle around and hit the hydrant so you can't put your burning furniture out.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by f0rtys3ven:

Right now Cod BO2 is taking mucho time because I have 7-8 RL FAILBOTS that are playing almost all the time.

Fixed that for ya.

As for GW2 and why I left, it got boring to me while leveling up my elementalist. Also, the balancing of quests/mobs versus the different armor types was just off. My warrior was able to take on GW2's version of elites without issue, just exchanging blows back and forth, whilst my elementalist was having to dance everywhere, switching back and forth between elements to take down the same mob and taking 50% longer to do so.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

I'm sry your so bad on the sticks

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to liquoranne

said by liquoranne:

too be honest...i leveled my ranger to max and the prof felt...underwhelming or more to the point, plain boring.

As i never got into crafting, which would you all suggest? I was thinking cooking and armorsmith. What say you?

I really want to like the ranger but yar, very static for me. short bow pew pew, bleh. If you want active playstyle, I think you can't get more active than an elementalist. Burn calories pressing all those buttons :P I love my mesmer, fairly active as well.

I have cooking and weaponsmithing maxed. I love cooking, although the middle tier is a bit harder to max. I just find it hilarious to discover recipes, like oh that makes sense!

As to the OP, I find myself a bit lost on what to do next. I have max mesmer and warrior now, but I don't feel like farming, pvp, can't do dungeons cuz I may have to stop at any moment. So I am doing some map completion and working on a new engineer. Thought about going back to WoW since I'm stuck on the annual pass but don't feel like the grind...

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to TheThing

I left for several reasons, some class specific, others more general:

Class Specific:

1. I wanted to play a ranged Ranger. The class, and that playstyle in particular, are both underpowered and boring. For shortbow, having auto-attack be your best damage ability felt silly, all you really do is start attacking and sit there until the mob dies. The other skills are all utility that in most situations aren't useful.

2. The "graphic fix" to Ranger shortbow, which was later admitted to be a nerf. If you want to nerf something, fine, nerf it. Don't pretend it's a graphic fix that's not going to change anything. And nerfing something because you think the playstyle is boring, but not changing anything else to encourage playing differently isn't well thought out. My respect for Anet dropped significantly from that.

3. The 11/15 patch that was supposed to be the Ranger "class balancing" patch that improved almost nothing.

General:

1. Game play is extremely repetitive, with very little to look forward to. You get most, if not all, of your skills in the first 20 levels, and have nothing more later on that really makes your character any stronger or more interesting. I suppose this may not be true for a few classes, but all the ones I tried seemed to be like this.

2. Dungeons are badly designed. With no tank/healer/dps trinity, most of the challenges in dungeons seemed to be gimmicks, or revolve around reviving players over and over again (or rezzing and running in some cases).

3. Nothing to look forward to doing at max level. I only made it to level 58 before quitting, but there was really nothing I wanted to do at max level to make me want to get there. Grinding forever for a legendary is too long term a project to feel like a realistic goal, and no real decent loot drops in dungeons made the idea of running them more than once or twice unappealing.

Would I come back?

A month ago, I was reading the forums a couple of times a week with the hope they were going to improve the Ranger class enough that I might want to give it another try. After they built up the 11/15 patch as a major balancing patch for the class and then changed almost nothing, I stopped following the game at all.

I've gone back to playing WoW after a 2.5 year hiatus, and after playing for three weeks (about the time I played GW2), I'm still having fun. I can't rule out ever checking in on GW2 in the future, but as of right now, I have no interest in playing again.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV

So you didn't make it to max level, but had nothing to do at max level? Hmm.

Complaining about how you get all your abilities by level 20 is non sense, when in the same posting you claim to go back to playing WoW. Which is even worse now on offering every class all their abilities at the start of the game, minus a few utility style skills every 15 levels of playing.

Dungeons aren't badly designed. Getting in a group of people that have no clue what the fuck they're doing will make a dungeon feel horrid and badly designed. I've run with mutiple groups in dungeons that were flawless, along with running with bad groups that would make you want to pull your hair out.

WoW is the same way.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to TheThing

I think I understand Zupe's feelings (ala what I posted about the ranger), and it's okay that he is back to WoW. I don't think he is bashing GW2 per se, it's just not his cup of tea.

Yes, GW2 unlocks the weapons pretty much right away, but having traits really changes the way your character feels. Mesmer doesn't click until at least level 35-40, then it's a blast. Clones on dodge, extra bounce on GS/Staff, etc. Faster CD on skills makes your play more fluid, extra effects on weapon swap, etc etc.

But Ghastly is right, your complaints are all applicable to WoW as well. Instead of grinding for a weapon skin, you are grinding for rep and upgraded gear. Dungeons are bad if the PuG is bad (although I would imagine WoW dungeons are a lot easier if you have a good tank, you can just steamroll them or at least you did before panda).

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

So you didn't make it to max level, but had nothing to do at max level? Hmm.

I felt like I had no reason I wanted to reach max level, because there was nothing I wanted to do at that point. I know Anet was aiming for a game that had no "end game" where the entire leveling process was endgame, but to me, it left me not wanting to level because there was nothing to look forward to. This may not apply to everyone, but it was my feeling.

said by Ghastlyone:

Complaining about how you get all your abilities by level 20 is non sense, when in the same posting you claim to go back to playing WoW. Which is even worse now on offering every class all their abilities at the start of the game, minus a few utility style skills every 15 levels of playing.

I can't really comment on this one either way at this point. I had reached level 80 on my rogue when I left WoW, and have picked up with that character, so haven't gone through leveling 1-80 since the changes. In leveling from 80-88 so far, I've gained four skills on my rogue (Redirect, Crimson Tempest, Smoke Bomb, Shadow Blades), three of which I can see being used fairly regularly.

said by Ghastlyone:

Dungeons aren't badly designed. Getting in a group of people that have no clue what the fuck they're doing will make a dungeon feel horrid and badly designed. I've run with mutiple groups in dungeons that were flawless, along with running with bad groups that would make you want to pull your hair out.

WoW is the same way.

I ran through 3 or 4 dungeons in GW2. In all of them, the main feeling I had was that, since there were no dedicated tanks or healers, they made the mobs difficult by giving them tons of health that took forever to whittle down, and/or one shot mechanics, neither of which I thought were fun, and in most mmorpgs the dungeons are the thing I enjoy most. It's possible this may be somewhat related to the groups, or may get better in higher level dungeons, but it wasn't the experience I was hoping for.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

TheThing

reply to TheThing

I still need to try out dungeons a lot more before I arrive at a definite opinion on them. My first runs in dungeons felt like a cluster fuck. But then... later on when I ran fractals, I was like wow this is cool, and the mechanics are a lot of fun. GW2 is still a baby game and I think dungeons will get better, and the mechanics will make more sense. But like I said I need to try them out a lot more once I get my second toon to 80.

Yes, you get weapon skills very early on. And at first it did feel limiting, but with traits, general combat mechanics and swaping weapons it adds to the flavor. I feel GW2 is a cross between WoW, Tera, League of Legends and Diablo 3, when it comes to abilities available and combat style. Took a while to get used to, but I think now I would be overwhelmed by WoW's variety.

At level 80 there is a legendary WALL people hit. Legendaries are mostly cosmetic anyways, but it does give those hardcore players something to strive for if they REALLY want it. I will probably never get a legendary. It's a little bit sad, but I can still do dungeons to get ascended gear and skins for my already full set of exotic gear.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned GW2 play control (responsiveness) vs. WoW's! That took a while to get used to as well!

My overall time played in GW2 across all to0ns is still only equivalent to ONE toon in WoW. So it's still not comparing apples to apples.

As far as GW2 missing instanced raids, I think with open world events there is the potential for GW2 to fill that gap. I don't think GW2 is quiet there yet, but with some tweaks, new zones, I think GW2 can bridge that gap. At this point when I enter a zone in GW2, I really start to basically think I'm entering one giant raid

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Zupe

said by Zupe:

I can't really comment on this one either way at this point. I had reached level 80 on my rogue when I left WoW, and have picked up with that character, so haven't gone through leveling 1-80 since the changes. In leveling from 80-88 so far, I've gained four skills on my rogue (Redirect, Crimson Tempest, Smoke Bomb, Shadow Blades), three of which I can see being used fairly regularly.

Leveling from 80-90 in WoW is whole different ball game, then leveling from 1-90.

I can almost gaurentee you, that you would be pulling your hair out with your eyes glazed over in pure boredom if you currently leveled in WoW from 1-90 on a fresh new character. No gear XP boosts either. The same cannot be said with GW2, leveling a much more enjoyable.

One of the complaints from people right now with WoW is the lack of character development while leveling. You get all your abilities up front basically and then a single talent every 15 levels. That's just painful.

said by Zupe:

I ran through 3 or 4 dungeons in GW2. In all of them, the main feeling I had was that, since there were no dedicated tanks or healers, they made the mobs difficult by giving them tons of health that took forever to whittle down, and/or one shot mechanics, neither of which I thought were fun, and in most mmorpgs the dungeons are the thing I enjoy most. It's possible this may be somewhat related to the groups, or may get better in higher level dungeons, but it wasn't the experience I was hoping for.

I had the same experience also. Running dungeons in GW2 at low level can be painful. That's why I waited to get max level with all my Traits, and better gear before stepping back in them.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to TheThing

My account and my wife's account got hacked. I paid full price for accounts. Found out that some other folks were talking about it the same way they spoke of other MMOs after they started playing it and decided it wasn't for me.

You guys remember that customer service debacle. I went through the BBB to get my account restored and paid for the service in good faith but I think I logged on once and only once to verify my account and that was it.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
reply to f0rtys3ven

said by f0rtys3ven:

I'm sry

I know you are; no need to apologize for playing with failbots. We all have a few that we recognize as people.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to Ghastlyone

GW2 sux, WoW is awesome. That is all.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to TheThing

I had the same issues as Zupe. I felt like I had seen everything my character was capable of almost immediately. I looked at all the traits you get later on, and those seemed almost exclusively to be passives.

Yes, WoW does hand you a large chunk of your abilities when you hit level 10. But I still get something new every few levels and I have talents that actually feel like they matter.

The skill point system in GW2 was weird as well. I seem to remember a skill on my elementalist that I chose that did less or about the same damage than my auto attacks but had a 45 second cool down? I didnt get that at all.

I tried out guardian and had fun, but then doing the same attacks just got annoying because I didnt have a new attack to ever look forward to again. At least in WoW I know at level 80 or whatever I am going to unlock my best ability for my efforts.

Then, PvP was just a pile. The WvWvW was too big. It was overwhelming. I just wanted to go in and kill people. Objective based PvP is fine in doeses. I hated things like Wintergrasp and what not, its not fun to incorporate PvE into PvP.

Things like Arathi Basin and Warsong Gulch make WoW PvP fun. I know there are "things" like that GW2, but they just felt... cheesy.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

TheThing

I have yet to try sPvP (structured PvP) in GW2.

All of my time is taken up by WvW or Open World PvE/explore

enjoyed leveling my 2 toons to 80

I will hold off on a third 80 and get more into dungeons and spvp with my 2 toons

can't comment on sPvP (GW2 BGs) at this point

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

I will be back. Eventually. I been away because my wife's pushing through Clinical right now and we sleep at 8:00 p.m. cause she needs to wake up lik 5:00 a.m. every morning. I stopped trying to sneak out of bed. haha. Also I been busy...making music of all things.

TheThing

said by I AM:

I will be back. I stopped trying to sneak out of bed... I been busy...making music.

noice man!

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to TheThing

I'm just on break, I went a bit nuts in November and overdid it powering my guardian up to cap, but I'll be back.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to TheThing

I still play, but not as much as I used to. I got my engineer to 80 and the only thing I'd really like to do on that toon is run dungeons, but there are only two or three dungeons that ever get run. The others languish with no one interested.

If they'd put a group finder for dungeon runs in the game I'd play every day.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

Sorta changed my gaming machine to a studio machine for the moment. Wonder if I can keybind my piano? lol.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to TheThing

Real life has kept me from logging on, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I've also been on an FPS kick with Blops 2 (which I will freely admit I'm terrible at), Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3, so what little time through the week I've had to game I've been playing them, and have barely scratched the surface.

I will still try to keep the old tradition of playing on Friday nights alive, I really enjoy that. I couldn't last Friday or this Friday because of family visits for the holidays, but after next week vacation baby, woot! 11 days off to play GW2 and work on my FPS backlog.