jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Rant] Home Depot returns

When I go back to Home Depot to return an item, WITH A RECEIPT, I should not have to show identification just because I originally paid with a gift card.

I am not going to give my personal information to a store that offers no privacy protection for the privilege of returning a $18 item.

Why does Home Depot treat their customers like criminals?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

There was a thread in the Sec Forum about this crap recently. It's pathetic what retailers are trying to do.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to jjoshua

Mainly because, unfortunately, any one of those 'customers' can also be criminals...

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Criminals with a receipt? How novel of them.

M A R S
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Long Island
kudos:1
reply to jjoshua

After a long wait at Best Buy some shit stain asked for my ID with my receipt and my CC, i just showed it all, i had to move on. But i could have said no to him right?

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to jjoshua

I fail to see the point of asking for the ID, but beyond that, I don't see the problem.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

They track your returns, if you return too many things they wont accept returns from you.

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ

Which is BS because they don't check ID if you paid by credit card.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

Because they already have your name from the credit card to track your returns.

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ

I have multiple credit cards.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

I think the card you used is the one it has to be credited to.
--
I'm not anti-social, I just don't like stupid people.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
reply to jjoshua

I do not fault HD for their policy. But I don't believe that policy is expressly written anywhere on the receipt in the store, therefore, if I was you (which I'm not, as I have no problem with the policy), I would have argued with the store manager. You'd be right, and he'd be wrong.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to Juggernaut

If I use a different credit card each time, then I won't have "excessive returns" on any one card.

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Rob

On the web site, the return policy says that they "may ask you" for identification. They asked me for it and I declined to produce it.

If the policy said that identification "may be required", then that is totally different.

I am not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that HD has a few and that's the language that they chose to use.

Since you don't have a problem with the policy, please send me a copy of your ID and I'll use that next time.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
reply to jjoshua

You don't seem to understand. They don't track your returns based off which credit card you use, they track it from your name. Unless you use aliases on your cards, it doesn't matter if you use a different card each time, they will still track your returns.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

jjoshua
Premium
Scotch Plains, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by DannyZ:

You don't seem to understand. They don't track your returns based off which credit card you use, they track it from your name.

Sure. Because no two people with the same name shop at HD.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

said by jjoshua:

said by DannyZ:

You don't seem to understand. They don't track your returns based off which credit card you use, they track it from your name.

Sure. Because no two people with the same name shop at HD.

It's to prevent fraud, not to say "oh, you returned too much stuff so we won't refund you this time". Once they have your name/credit card number they could find out where you live, if they needed to.

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

It's not just HD. Several stores use a service called The Retail Equation -- »http://www.theretailequation.com/

So you could have return issues at Best Buy and be denied at Home Depot.

Consumerist has been writing about it for years »consumerist.com/2009/05/29/why-i···license/

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

Since you don't have a problem with the policy, please send me a copy of your ID and I'll use that next time.

I'm not giving you my ID. HD and other places swipe the card, not like the cashier sits there and writes down my information.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

When I go back to Home Depot to return an item, WITH A RECEIPT, I should not have to show identification just because I originally paid with a gift card.

That's exactly how many criminals work. Buy 1 item, steal 1, return item with receipt. Many times they are hand in hand with some employees and split the money.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

said by cowboyro:

said by jjoshua:

That's exactly how many criminals work. Buy 1 item, steal 1, return item with receipt. Many times they are hand in hand with some employees and split the money.

^^^ This is the correct answer. Used to work for HD. You'd be shocked at how many times people tried to pull that (and once they started tracking, amazing, they found it was often the same people trying to do it over and over). Blame dishonest customers, not HD for their protection policies.

You can always go to Lowes, but I'm guessing they do the same thing for the same reason, as many large retailers are.
--
The Alien in the White House

19,994 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to nightshade74

said by nightshade74:

said by jjoshua:

It's not just HD. Several stores use a service called The Retail Equation -- »http://www.theretailequation.com/

So you could have return issues at Best Buy and be denied at Home Depot.

Consumerist has been writing about it for years »consumerist.com/2009/05/29/why-i···license/

This is also correct. In addtion Retail Equation also alerts them to bounced checks, even if in other stores. They then will not accept your check.
--
The Alien in the White House

19,994 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

askinder

join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO
reply to jjoshua

I have had very good experiences returning items at Home Depot. If fact, they are quite reasonable, especially with exchanges. I have exchanged items, without receipt, with zero grief.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

They are very good with returns/exchanges as long as you haven't tripped their radar with funky return attempts.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to askinder

said by askinder:

I have had very good experiences returning items at Home Depot. If fact, they are quite reasonable, especially with exchanges. I have exchanged items, without receipt, with zero grief.

Same here.

hchen42

join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to jjoshua

In addition to buy one, steal one, return the stolen one scam mentioned above, other common scams:
-return the cheaper/broken items
-gift card fraud.

For gift card fraud, thieves use stolen credit cards to buy gift cards. Then buy stuff with gift cards then return items. Reason is once the credit card is reported stolen, the original gift cards are often voided. Thieves buy immediately then return the items. The thieves can now resell gift cards for real cash or buy some other stuff later on.

Another possible scam is a low life may return a broken item. Let's say, the low life has a portable vacuum cleaner and it's broken. He/she go to HD, buy similar vacuum cleaner, then repacked the broken one and return to the store.

AndandoPaleo

join:2012-06-21
outer limits
reply to jjoshua

I make a lot of returns to HD. They know me by name. I guess thats why I am never given any hassel. If I have no receipt, I am issued an appropriate 'gift card'. If I remember which card I used, they have merely to swipe that card and wand the product to bring up the receipt on their screen.
--
ancient walking one

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to jjoshua

Best Buy does this too... I simply asked to read the privacy statement for the company that they are sending my information to... the manager couldn't provide this information so he processed the return without my ID.

Expand your moderator at work