Search similar:

uniqs

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

1 edit

shinjuru

Sim City

The New Sim City (version 5, not titled), due in March of 2013 looks to full of incredibly rich details.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· W4Q&hd=1

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· CpM&hd=1

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

I can`t wait. I played Sim City for hundreds of hours. Simtropolis is very much alive.

sikk
Yawn
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29

sikk

Premium Member

Same here. I'm pretty stoked for this. Cities XL, while decent, just isn't the same, IMHO.

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Long Island

NaCl3 to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
Be careful. As excited as I am about the prospect of a Simcity 5, this is a reboot. Major gripes by old-timers are the online-only aspect, the small size of towns, not being able to select your zoning density, and other items. I'm still going to give it a chance, but this is not a continuation of Simcity 4.

BigReds42
Premium Member
join:2004-07-14
Bellaire, OH

BigReds42

Premium Member

Small size of towns?

You could select the zoning density? Was that in 4? I didn't play it much so I may have missed it.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to NaCl3

MVM

to NaCl3
said by NaCl3:

Be careful. As excited as I am about the prospect of a Simcity 5, this is a reboot. Major gripes by old-timers are the online-only aspect, the small size of towns, not being able to select your zoning density, and other items. I'm still going to give it a chance, but this is not a continuation of Simcity 4.

Any gripes should be taken with a grain of salt right now. The game isn't even out yet. That being said, I am going to be paying attention to this game and hopefully, it will exceed my expectations.

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
Long Island

NaCl3 to BigReds42

Premium Member

to BigReds42
said by BigReds42:

Small size of towns?

You could select the zoning density? Was that in 4? I didn't play it much so I may have missed it.

The map is split into regions, which then have about 4 cities within each one. You can control your regions, but the maps are 64x64 instead of the old 128x128. Where as you used to be able to put low, medium, or high density wherever you want, the density is now based on the road it's connected to. Farms are gone, as are subways. I'm not saying that all of the changes are bad, but they leave me concerned, as Maxis has stated that these are permanent.

TigerLord

Canada

TigerLord to shinjuru

to shinjuru
Lack of zoning density certainly does suck but we haven't had a modern sim city in a decade so I'll take it.

I'm curently enjoying Tropico
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
The online angle is a put off, Can the game be played single player at all? as in no required interaction with the internet even if its DRM requires a connection?

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
Long Island

1 edit

NaCl3

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

The online angle is a put off, Can the game be played single player at all? as in no required interaction with the internet even if its DRM requires a connection?

Currently, it requires an always-on connection to play. No sandbox or offline mode. That sucks for me, because i'd love to play on my daily commute.

»forum.ea.com/eaforum/pos ··· 852.page

TigerLord

Canada

1 recommendation

TigerLord

A crack will be out a week after release to disable online DRM so dont fret

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

DownLow to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I'm kind of looking forward to this one...I am curious about the compute/graphics power needed to play this.

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
Long Island

NaCl3

Premium Member

said by DownLow:

I'm kind of looking forward to this one...I am curious about the compute/graphics power needed to play this.

Just because I like you DL...

Minimum Specs:

PROCESSOR:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Windows XP/Vista/7

MEMORY:
2GB RAM

HARD DRIVE:
10GB HD Space

GRAPHICS CARD:
ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better*, NVIDIA 7800 or better*, Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better*

BROADBAND INTERNET:
Minimum 256 kbps download, 64 kbps upload

*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I liked the simplicity of the original Sim City (my first was on SNES) but I would've liked the options some of the later versions provided. Seems like this will be a good fit for me -- DRM aside.

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

DownLow to NaCl3

Premium Member

to NaCl3
said by NaCl3:

said by DownLow:

Just because I like you DL...

Hmm....I guess I need to work on fixing that (I always liked your brother better).....

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
Long Island

NaCl3

Premium Member

said by DownLow:

Hmm....I guess I need to work on fixing that (I always liked your brother better).....

I said I liked you, not that you had good taste.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
Interesting, but I'm trying to avoid EA games. I scrolled through the responses in this thread and it seems like this one will be one to avoid as well.
I like simcity, i think it's a great time filler/waster.
But online only? How much will that add to my usage cap?

Game developers need to realize that ISPs want to limit Internet usage, and some have put caps in place.
Add to being online only, I don't like the lack of player placed zoning, or the lack of subways.

Maybe it'll be put back into the game at a later date as a value added pack. Meaning you have to pay to unlock this feature.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
Interestingly, Maxis (EA) is addressing the Live Connection Requirement.
said by Lucy Bradshaw, SVP Maxis :
The Benefits of Live Service

Dec 20, 2012
Lucy Bradshaw, SVP Maxis

Hi everyone – I’m Lucy Bradshaw and I lead the Maxis Label here at EA. Last week, we held a Reddit Ask Me Almost Anything (AMAA) where we gave fans a chance to speak directly to the development team creating SimCity. First off, I want to personally thank everyone who asked us questions and participated in the event –the team really appreciates your feedback. We received some great questions on a range of topics, including the city size, the GlassBox engine powering SimCity, and even how many splines we’ve reticulated over the years (short answer: a lot).

One particular topic that was brought up during the chat was our decision to require an online connection to play the game. I’ve also been talking to fans directly on this subject and I wanted to put some of my thoughts on this here on our blog. I understand why this may be a concern for fans who have been playing SimCity for decades now. Like all of you, I’m a long-time SimCity fan. But it’s not just me – we have several veterans from previous versions of the game here at the Maxis studio, and we are all proud and excited about the game we’re making and we think you’ll really love it.

Creating a connected experience has always been a goal for SimCity, and this design decision has driven our development process for the game. This is easily the most ambitious game in the franchise and we’ve taken great care to make sure that every line of code embodies the spirit of the series. To do this, we knew we had to make sure we put our heart and souls into the simulation and the team created the most powerful simulation engine in its history, the GlassBox Engine. GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game -- the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer.

Perhaps Ocean said it best when he said that real cities do not exist in a bubble; they share a region and affect one another. GlassBox does more than just segregate computing tasks, it also allows us to make it so that you can create specialized cities that are visually unique and personalized, and that can be economically integrated into a larger region. You’re always connected to the neighbors in your region so while you play, data from your city interacts with our servers, and we run the simulation at a regional scale. For example, trades between cities, simulation effects that cause change across the region like pollution or crime, as well as depletion of resources, are all processed on the servers and then data is sent back to your city on your PC. Every city in the region is updated every three minutes, which keeps the overall region in sync and makes your decisions in your city relevant to any changes that have taken place in the region.

Running the regional simulation on our servers is something we also use to support features that will make this SimCity even more fun. We use the Sim data to update worldwide leaderboards, where you get to see your city or mayoral standings as compared to the other cities in your region and between all of the regions in the world. And since SimCity is a live service, we're also using the data to create weekly global and local challenges for our players that keep the gameplay fresh and surprising.

We think this is the best SimCity ever and it wouldn’t be possible without the technology that powers our game. SimCity was designed to be connected from the ground up. We built the game around GlassBox, which takes the game to another level. And, we’ve given the player control over how to play. You can set your region to private and never interact with other people, or you can play exclusively with friends or join a public region.

We’re entering the final stages of development. We're still tuning and refining the game but already it has that special magic that sucked me into the franchise in the first place. We really look forward to seeing what you will create and how you will Mayor come March 5th.
Thanks,
Lucy

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
can you pause time in this? does the city go on hold when not playing? being online and "part of a bigger world" makes me think one could fire up SC5 some evening and find half the city gone.

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
Long Island

NaCl3

Premium Member

The city goes into stasis, not changing until you re-enter. So if you create a city that's feeding you 400kW of power, then never go back, it continues to feed you the power and you continue to pay for it. For non-renewable resources, I have no idea.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to shinjuru

to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

Interestingly, Maxis (EA) is addressing the Live Connection Requirement.

Arrogant, aren't they? There are many people who do not have an always on, broadband connection. There are also broadband services with caps and overage charges. Until we have some idea of how those services will be affected, only suckers will use this game.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to shinjuru

to shinjuru
What I hate about Simcity? Buildings and roads start to break down and you have to rebuild. I hope they get rid of all of those traffic issues in the game.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Until we have some idea of how those services will be affected, only suckers will use this game.

Or people who don't have caps. Or know how to manage them.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by jester121:

said by DKS:

Until we have some idea of how those services will be affected, only suckers will use this game.

Given that Canadian ISP's have very low caps, on the order of 25 GB/mo, it's a real issue for some. Management or not.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

"only suckers will buy this game".

Your words. I say

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to DKS

MVM

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by jester121:

said by DKS:

Given that Canadian ISP's have very low caps, on the order of 25 GB/mo, it's a real issue for some. Management or not.

Right now, anyone assuming how much data will be used is really just doing that....assuming. This could be like any other online game, where the data requirements are less about size and more about latency. Until the final product is released, we won't know what they are going to be. I would assume that this game will be the same as other games. It won't be about the throughput speeds but about the latency. The data use itself will be tiny.
Benenstein
join:2007-04-29
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein to NaCl3

to NaCl3
This is also the base game. Sim City 4 had an expansion pack, so i imagine with updates and expansion packs, we will acquire all of the content that we want.

NaCl3
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium Member
Long Island

NaCl3

Premium Member

I agree Vampy. I'm going to buy the game regardless of my concerns. But I don't want anyone to be confused as to this being Simcity 5.

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium Member
join:2001-09-05
Albion, NY

wapu to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I am excitedly looking forward to this.

I just picked up SimCity 4 with Rush Hour for $4.99 on steam a couple minutes ago.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to shinjuru

to shinjuru
I can't wait until this game comes out. When I develop my city I will let other's into my game and help them out with their city.