Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for December 11, 2012

I have the updates downloaded to disk and ready to install. I can't install them. That is the problem. The Windows Update Standalone installer won't run. I just enabled BITS but the installer still won't run.

I am vaguely recalling now threads in this forum a year or so ago about this issue and something about how Microsoft was now forcing everyone to use Windows Update even if they got the patches from Microsoft download center as I did. I think I recall saying I was happy that I no longer could get patches (because I was using Service Pack 2 not 3 for XP) and when I could still get patches for XP there was no forcing Windows Update on users.

I had forgotten about this. But now I am remembering. What I don't understand is if you have to turn on Windows Updates in order to install the updates you have manually gotten from Microsoft Download Center and saved on your hard drive then why does Microsoft Download Center exist? What is the point of it if the user is still forced to use Windows Update?

Is there another Microsoft installer I can use that is not dependent on Windows Update being enabled?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Why the paranoid hatred of Windows Update? It can be run in a manual mode and not just automatic update mode?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It won't stay in manual mode.

WGA. No one could possibly want to use WU after the crap Microsoft pulled with WGA and WGA Notification. I am not and never have been a pirate. Microsoft accused me and all XP users of being pirates and forced WGA and WGA Notification.