spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JasonC

@erprovisioning.com
reply to JasonC

Re: TONS of Fioptics Questions

DeathK: Thanks so much for the reply. I do have another question based on your photo though.

The ONT converter you circled appears to have a terminator on the coax side, is your set up not using that module? From what I understand there is another type of setup that uses IPTV as opposed to the direct fiber to coax. I believe it has some sort of CAT5 to coax conversion that will allow the use of the existing coax in the house.

From what I've heard, the IPTV version utilizes a very small DVR module that just acts as a comm. box to talk to the server where the recordings are stored (this could be the reason for the delay complaints). Is this the type of setup that you have, or is your DVR box actually equipped with an on-board hard drive?

Thanks again for the support.

CVGNet

join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit

The IPTV version looks quite different. It uses a VDSL modem by ZyXel or ZTE and ZTE set top boxes which can operate via TCP/IP / Ethernet. Some installations may use MoCA adaptors.

You can probably tell which service you are being offered by checking the address on the CB website. If it offers internet faster than 30 Mbps down then they are offering FTTP not FTTN.

On the FTTN system it is also possible to see a few of the channels on a PC etc. using VLC or similar - see:

»plus.google.com/u/0/communities/···c0435985

That is not possible on the FTTP version though most people would probably prefer the actual fiber over that minor benefit of FTTN.

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

2 edits
reply to JasonC

said by JasonC :

DeathK: Thanks so much for the reply. I do have another question based on your photo though.

The ONT converter you circled appears to have a terminator on the coax side, is your set up not using that module?

We do not have TV service, only phone and internet, so that's why the coax output is terminated on the transceiver. It's an Alloptic MNTH156. You can read about it here if you like: »www.tvcinc.com/downloads/MicroNode150.pdf
--
Photos By Greg Strong