how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gambothell

join:2006-02-26
Bothell, WA

[Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell

I ordered some wine from a winery for Christmas gifts. The winery shipped the wine via UPS. I was told that someone 21 years old or older had to sign for the package. No problem. I have a video surveillance system on my house. When the drive arrived, he lightly knocked on the door with his knuckles while kneeling. My doorbell is lighted and is located clearly next to the door. My problem is that I work out of my office downstairs. There is no way I would ever hear his light knock. I reviewed my video surveillance and was appalled that he would think I would hear his knock. Folks, you would not hear the knock 10 feet from the door... I called UPS and filed a complaint. They said, well this was only the first time he tried to deliver. So today I printed a large sign requesting that he ring the doorbell when he attempts to deliver today. We will see.

This is not the first time this has happened. I have noticed a trend over the last couple of years that UPS drivers avoid the doorbell. They also hate and avoid security system cameras. Are they all felons? FedEx always rings the doorbell. With all the crime today of people following UPS and FedEx trucks to grab packages off a porch, you would think these companies would require their drivers to ring the darn doorbell.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

Same crap here in Michigan.
Because of past "mis deliverys" UPS requires a signature at my address. They won't even knock, just a toot on the horn coming down a 300' drive.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to gambothell

I have the same problems but mine is with UPS, fedex.and usps. They will some times ring the door bell and some times will not.
--
Caddy

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to gambothell

I have the same issue with UPS. My elderly mother is home all day and it takes her about a minute to get up and get to the door. UPS will knock or ring the door bell and by the time she gets to the door the driver is in his truck and driving off without leaving the pacakge.

I've been home before and seen the driver pull up. I get up and he's knocking on the door. by the time I get there he's turned around and walking off. all within 10 seconds.

I know they have to deliver all their packages before they can go home but this is a bit extreme.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Our UPS driver just leaves the packages.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to Bamafan2277

said by Bamafan2277:

I have the same issue with UPS. My elderly mother is home all day and it takes her about a minute to get up and get to the door. UPS will knock or ring the door bell and by the time she gets to the door the driver is in his truck and driving off without leaving the pacakge.

I've been home before and seen the driver pull up. I get up and he's knocking on the door. by the time I get there he's turned around and walking off. all within 10 seconds.

I know they have to deliver all their packages before they can go home but this is a bit extreme.

It's not that, it's that they're compensated on Stops Per Hour.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to gambothell

We had a case of wine left on the front porch of our business. The driver delivered before we were open, and he FORGED my boss's name.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Our UPS driver just leaves the packages.

Same here
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to gambothell

I've never had this kind of experience with UPS deliveries.

Around here if I get a package that does not require signature, she puts it at the door or in the garage(if its open) and then also rings the bell and knocks on the door so loud you would think it was broke off its hinges. She makes her presence known that can't be denied.

If it requires signature and you're not home then you will find the appropriate notification clearly and blantantly posted at your door to see when you return. On it will be info regarding next delivery attempt/time and instructions to get a hold of her.

I guess we just have a good driver in this area. Her name is Angela and has been serving this area for better that 12 years.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to gambothell

Same issue with UPS, they even lost a $100 worth of stuff on me and I'm still having to chase it down because they never called me back

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to carpetshark3

Does your boss usually sign his name in all capital letters?

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to chamberc

said by chamberc:

No, they're not.

Source: best friend is a 10+ year employee of UPS.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to gambothell

I've been at UPS for a number of years now, on a few times I've been asked to help with delivery's.. You will be amazed how many doorbells that don't work, I assume most of the drivers who have been doing the routes for more then 5 years just assume they may not work.

I would knock, ring doorbell and if the item was small enough place it between the storm door and the front door, I got a lot of waves or thanks So maybe they were not used to that?

Now as for making a complaint at this time of year it's kinda not the top focus right now but you can still try but don't expect a instant change.. I've seen the driver followup complaint sheets and it states what the customer expect but did not get.

The more serious stuff is lost packages that need a trace.

Plus these guys make around $30-35 in OT they would like to get home just as much as you would like to, also they get a little cranky if you stay out past 8PM.. The week of Christmas not so much but before that they do.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to gambothell

the postmaster general (or whoever it is) is investigating a possible theft ring here. saw a news story a few days ago where packages are coming up missing. in the story they talked to a lady who is shipping out stuff for her business, and tracking shows it only leaves her office but never further out of Tampa. and complaints from other people, senders and receivers, are mounting.
--
| map your city |

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

This time of year there's plenty of scum of the earth looking to steal packages, and many right off your porch as even if they say signature required many ignore it. They left a brand new xbox 360 in it's obvious retail box on a friends porch, they didn't hear them knock from the other room if they did at all, the doorbell was not pressed, and they ignored the signature verification request. He ripped into them on the phone, and now they won't leave any packages without a signature to their address without a release signed.

They are enabling the thieves to meet their metrics.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to PhoenixDown

Hmmmmm UPS rings the doorbell here when they drop off a package..... (I think most drivers do)

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Xioden

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell

said by Xioden:

Does your boss usually sign his name in all capital letters?

No. He has a distinctive scrawl.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to gambothell

Our UPS driver is great. No one is home before 5 p.m. and UPS normally leaves our deliveries on the stoop or in between the door and storm door. I had a HDTV delivered a week or two ago and had alerted my neighbor so he could come get it for me, but the UPS driver thoughtfully lugged it all the way around my house and sat it by the back basement door where it would not be visible to anyone who was not trespassing. They made note of it both on a note on the front door and in their notes so the location was included on the delivery text I got from Amazon. I've never seen my driver but am very happy with the work they do.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to drew

said by drew:

said by chamberc:

No, they're not.

Source: employee of UPS, first hand. Stops per hour are the most important metric.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

reply to gambothell

Some of mine are signed by "Front Door"

IMO if you're expecting UPS then be up and closer to the door.

Register on ups my choice, you'll get an e-mail the day it will be delivered and a time window for when they think they'll get it to you.

and its free (they have a premium service that gives narrower windows.)

gambothell

join:2006-02-26
Bothell, WA
reply to gambothell

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell - Update

I wanted to post what happened next. I printed out a 8x11 PowerPoint note and taped it just above the doorbell. The title was: "USP Delivery". I politely asked for the driver to use the doorbell. My wife still was not sure they would use the doorbell, so she parked herself in front of the surveillance monitor during the time they said they would try to deliver again.

Well, he did show up, but as normal lightly knocked on the door. I also saw this on my computer tied into the security system so I ran upstairs to the door. I immediately asked him if he could read English. He said yes and I then asked him why he had not pressed the doorbell (which is lighted). He said that we was just thinking about that. Yea, right - he was kneeling using his scanner on the wine package. I went into why I wanted the doorbell used, especially since I had to sign for the wine. I also restated that in our neighborhood packages have been stolen off the porches and with his using the doorbell, this would minimize that problem. He finally confessed that they do not use the doorbell because too many housewife's complain that the doorbell wakes up children. OMG. I tried to explain that if a package requires a signature there is no way a light knock will get the home owner's attention. I might as well have been talking to a mushroom. What ever happened to common sense?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

said by gambothell:

What ever happened to common sense?

It died a few years ago.
--
»Death Star Petition

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to gambothell

The driver is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Maybe he'll remember you in the future and use the doorbell. (If he's your regular driver. There are a lot of substitutes this time of year.)

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to gambothell

Re: [Rant] UPS delivery will not ring the doorbell

Ah yes video security systems! I avoid them if at all possible. I have cancelled jobs because apt management would not let me in through the main door.

Pardon me your Highness!
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

They are enabling the thieves to meet their metrics.

Can't have an honest thief missing his metrics, can we?
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to gambothell

I don't mind so much when they leave the package without even trying to ring the bell or knock, it's this type of stuff (and the lies I was told when the package wasn't delivered the first 3 times) that pisses me off:

UPS Sucks

--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to chamberc

said by chamberc:

said by drew:

said by chamberc:

No, they're not.

Source: employee of UPS, first hand. Stops per hour are the most important metric.

Glad you could rephrase what you said to be factually true.

You are not compensated on stops per hour.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

The drivers are unionized. There's no way they are paid by such a dumb metric as stops per hour. If they were, drivers servicing rural locations would get screwed.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Rook008

So something was stolen in Brooklyn. And you're surprised?

What was it, anyway?

carpetshark3
Premium
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to gambothell

Some just ignore the Ring doorbell on delivery ticket. Our office was in a house, UPS account set up as a BUSINESS and driver was to ring doorbell. Was printed out on all delivery tickets.Most did, but one just about said to hell with orders and it was up to the driver's discretion.