Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Toddyboy

join:2012-12-12
Iowa City, IA

[IA] Poor Download Speed from Iowa City

Hello,

I am currently investigating a severe performance problem with my Mediacom internet connection. I had a Mediacom tech come to my house yesterday and was able to verify that my connection and signal strength were good.

He was performing some download tests from sts.mchsi.com and I was able to get about 20-25 Mbps. I am pleased with that speed. However, when I go to speedtest.net I barely get over 1 Mbps!! Here is a test that I ran last night: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366834928.png

Is anyone else experiencing performance issues?

Thanks,
Todd

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
Have you tried a different server on www.speedtest.net? Can you run a couple other servers and run with or without router? Please do this and PM me your telephone# or MAC address and I can get with the Tech Sup. to see why this is happening.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Toddyboy
That Madison, WI site's ping time is on the high side for someone in Iowa City. I always like the Aurora, IL site.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to Toddyboy
FYI that is a Mediacom internal speedtest website so if it tested OK as far as Mediacom is concerned you do not have a problem. About time Mediacom got one of those so people wouldn't waste tech time with 'slow speeds' because one server on speedtest.net was too slow.

Chad I sure hope this will be explained to the customers and the service call fee in case a tech coded the job "no problem found"
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Toddyboy

Iowa City, IA
The tech came over last night and did some tests and we were seeing the same poor results like we had the other day. He put new ends on the cable and that didn't help.

He then grabs a new Cisco cable modem and said this is always he go to solution we he can't figure it out. He plugged in the new cable modem and instantly, I was able to download at 26 Mbps from speedtest. I'm surprised the other tech didn't try a different kind of cable modem, but whatever works.

I did order myself a new cable modem from Amazon so that I don't have to pay the rental fee. I mentioned that I'm getting a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 to the tech and he said I made the right choice. I'm also getting a ZyXEL 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Point, Ethernet Client, Universal Repeater, and Range Extender to ensure that our SmartTV gets a good wireless signal.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
What was your old modem? What is the model of your current modem? I am guessing a couple things but I want to be sure.

Toddyboy

Iowa City, IA

1 edit
My old cable modem was some an RCA of some sort. I got my new one from Amazon yesterday and I am now running that. The model is in my previous post.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
In order to dig deeper into this issue I would need your account or phone number so I can check the signals and utilization in your area. As well as some other things. Could you send those to me in a private message?