how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to Betamax76

Re: [HD] Maybe this means more HD will follow...

Does the 3 to 1 QAM MPEG channel mapping mean FiOS is re compressing MPEG2 channels?

If they kept channels delivered in MPEG4 as MPEG4 they could they put 3 in 1 QAM space?

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
said by icemannyr1:

If they kept channels delivered in MPEG4 as MPEG4 they could they put 3 in 1 QAM space?

But then the older boxes wouldn't work

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to icemannyr1
said by icemannyr1:

Does the 3 to 1 QAM MPEG channel mapping mean FiOS is re compressing MPEG2 channels?

1. No, they are doing 3 to 1 on those services that have low enough bit rates as provided from the service to do 3 to 1 (i.e. AMC).
2. Again, it depends on the delivered bandwidth, but likely 3 to 1 (or even more) if they are in MPEG4.

Bottom line: Verizon does not reduce bandwidth for the feeds they receive but simply pass them on as they receive them.

El Buey

@sbcglobal.net
I guess I'm the only one that watches Blackbelt TV. Excellent kung fu movies. The MMA stuff sucks, though.

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
said by El Buey :

I guess I'm the only one that watches Blackbelt TV. Excellent kung fu movies. The MMA stuff sucks, though.

I watch the kung fu movies too.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
LOL. Youtoo is complaining that Verizon is dropping them to make room, read this:

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···p/140730

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by matcarl:

LOL. Youtoo is complaining that Verizon is dropping them to make room, read this:

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···p/140730

Sounds like life in the big bad world of business. If the channel had a product that subscribers wanted, it wouldn't be dropped by any provider (and note that Verizon is not the first to drop the channel). Honestly, I don't even know where this channel is on the lineup.

When you're unhappy that your product isn't selling, lobby your lungs out, because apparently your product isn't good enough to gain viewership on its own after
rebranding" since 2011.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to matcarl
And don't forget to stop by Youtoo's "FiOS Keep Youtoo" site for a chance to earn points and win an iPad mini!

»www.youtoo.com/fioskeepyoutoo

Looks like Youtoo is pulling out all the stops to try and save themselves. They know that once they get dropped from Verizon they might have to shut down after already dropped from Charter and Cox last year.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by Zero:

And don't forget to stop by Youtoo's "FiOS Keep Youtoo" site for a chance to earn points and win an iPad mini!

They lost my support when they started to air the Xfiles episodes in 70 minute spots (aka 10 extra mins of commercials).

Sayonara ...

glugalug

@verizon.net
reply to icemannyr1
said by icemannyr1:

If the kept the channels delivered in h.264/mpeg4 as h.264 they could put 4-5 in one QAM space at the typical satellite mpeg4 bitrates, or 10-20 HD in one QAM space at the maximum viable quality for MPEG-2, depending on how much action that channel has reducing mpeg-2 effectiveness. Yes, I am completely serious with that 10-20 number. The MPEG-2 standard used in North America is that bad.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit
said by glugalug :

said by icemannyr1:

If the kept the channels delivered in h.264/mpeg4 as h.264 they could put 4-5 in one QAM space at the typical satellite mpeg4 bitrates, or 10-20 HD in one QAM space at the maximum viable quality for MPEG-2, depending on how much action that channel has reducing mpeg-2 effectiveness. Yes, I am completely serious with that 10-20 number. The MPEG-2 standard used in North America is that bad.

you butchered your own post there is no way you could fit 20 HD channels to a single QAM not enough bandwidth you would need 4 QAMs to carry that many HD channels in MPEG4. I think you meant to Say SD channels. They already can get 16 SD channels on QAM right now there is no point in going MPEG4 for SD 12 max is the preferred limit but you can get in 14 or 15 at one time when my TWC system was 750MHz before it got retrofitted to 860MHz we had a QAM with 14 SD channels at QAM256 and it did not look too bad but then again this was around 2006-2007 when HDTV's weren't as common as they are today and I didn't own one. I know that TWC grooms my local access QAM to fit 15 channels for their Dallas City proper lineup my local access QAM only has 9 channels on it total. I know that 2 of the channels on 15 (129MHz) there are for security cameras in buildings and also 2 channels on that QAM are designated for the EAS channel one for legacy boxes and one for tru2way boxes so they have 4 channels on that QAM that don't take up too much bits so they can get away with a QAM that has 15 channels on it.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
said by motorola870:

.... They already can get 16 SD channels on QAM right now there is no point in going MPEG4 for SD 12 max is the preferred limit but you can get in 14 or 15 at one time when my TWC system was 750MHz before it got retrofitted to 860MHz we had a QAM with 14 SD channels at QAM256 and it did not look too bad but then again this was around 2006-2007 when HDTV's weren't as common as they are today and I didn't own one. I know that TWC grooms my local access QAM to fit 15 channels for their Dallas City proper lineup my local access QAM only has 9 channels on it total. I know that 2 of the channels on 15 (129MHz) there are for security cameras in buildings and also 2 channels on that QAM are designated for the EAS channel one for legacy boxes and one for tru2way boxes so they have 4 channels on that QAM that don't take up too much bits so they can get away with a QAM that has 15 channels on it.

Dude, punctuation man.

here:
They already can get 16 SD channels on QAM right now, so there is no point in going MPEG4. For SD, 12 is the preferred limit but you can get in 14 or 15 at one time. When my TWC system was 750MHz (before it got retrofitted to 860MHz) we had a QAM with 14 SD channels at QAM256, and it did not look too bad, but then again this was around 2006-2007 when HDTV's weren't as common as they are today and I didn't own one. I know that TWC grooms my local access QAM to fit 15 channels for their Dallas City proper lineup; my local access QAM only has 9 channels on it total. I know that 2 of the channels on 15 (129MHz) there are for security cameras in buildings and also 2 channels on that QAM are designated for the EAS channel, one for legacy boxes and one for tru2way boxes, so they have 4 channels on that QAM that don't take up too many bits so they can get away with a QAM that has 15 channels on it.