Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

[MoP] Small victories on a small server

So, last night we didn't have any raids officially planned, which was good since we had some people log on late due to RL stuff anyway. But a pretty cool thing happened. I got messaged by someone who liked to pug with us in DS asking if we could provide a healer and a dps for their MV raid. Turned out they really needed 2 healers so our monk and my priest joined them, and they managed to get the rest of their raid together. I had to install Mumble for their raid, so I got to try that out*. My guild kept asking in /g "hey, does this mean we won't be raiding this week?" to which I responded with "no, it just means that we will skip straight to bosses we need to work on". I didn't know how right I was, lol. Once we got the trash down for the dogs I felt comfortable enough to ask, "so how far have you guys progressed in MV?"... the RL responded candidly with "you're looking at it".

Meanwhile, the GM of our sister guild also asked me if we could provide them some dps. My wife and our 2 tanks joined them as dps. Now, we had pugged in one of their tanks, 2 of their healers, and 2 of their dps over the past month and a half, but as a guild they had not downed a boss yet.

After several wipes in both raids, we calmly offered suggestions and provided insight and got both guilds their first kills. My wife's group got theirs first (my group kept trying the double swap strat... so there were some tough lessons there) and it was very cool to hear her vent erupt in cheers when the dogs went down. 2 attempts later, our group got their first kill and mumble went nuts for a bit... really brought a smile to my face. Better yet, my monk won the leather healing belt form our raid, and my OT won the boots in his raid. So PnE came away a winner, as did 2 other guilds.

TL;DR: we helped 2 guilds on our server get their first MV kills of the expansion... and it felt great to be a part of it. Its a small server... so anything we can do to get more raiders going is a good thing.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego (US:Nathrezim)
Good times with Great people in the Best way to spend $15/mo.

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN

Good to hear immer! I was going to log on last night but my wife and I had a bunch of tv shows to catch up on and our DVR was nearly full!
--
Polluxx - LvL 90 Human Warrior - (US) Nathrezim

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Immer

Double swap sucks for heals.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Krisnatharok:

Double swap sucks for heals.

yes. It's also tough for novice tanks. These guys took a lot of unnecessary dmg as they learned... it was a great exercise in mana micro-management for me, lol.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Immer

Awesome story. Now that you have me on BattleTag, consider me as a DPS on my Lock for pugs.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Carpie:

Awesome story. Now that you have me on BattleTag, consider me as a DPS on my Lock for pugs.

absolutely. Hopefully when 5.2 comes out, we'll be able to Cross Realm T14 raids.

Braincramp

join:2011-05-16
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer

This makes me happy for multiple reasons. #1. Helping other guilds clear content also benefits our guild (Active raiders may want to step in and help our guild more frequently) #2. Gear upgrade for Sallest(not that he needed it) #3. With the extra time we will get on Feng we should down him.

Speaking of Feng, I watched a couple strat videos and have an idea to go over with you for Phase 2 that may help with widfire placement. I will talk to you in game or PM you if I don't catch you before Saturday.
--
Machiavelian (Shadow Priest) Pride and Ego, Nathrezim(US)

"The only person that can hold you back from your dream is yourself."

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

sounds good, brother.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

Good to hear good news from PnE, Immer.

As we all know, small servers have their pros and cons. The sense of community is definitely one of the good sides of being on a less populated realm.

If you guys want my opinion on any strats let me know, I'll be happy to share what I know with you.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
reply to Immer

That's awesome, I glad you guys had fun Nice to see multiple guilds on a small server working together.

cigtyme
Coonass and Proud of it

join:2010-08-17
Houma, LA
kudos:1

Grats Immer.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Immer

Grats on the double kills Immer!

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Immer

Grats on what sounds like a good night for more than a few people.

How'd mumble work for you? A couple of openraids groups are now using it, but I haven't known anyone that has used it and was wondering if it might be better than vent.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Mumble is realtime communication... and that is awesome. But there is more to set up in mumble... and the audio quality was a bit tinny for some... and downright robotic for others. It seems to have a smarter background noise filter so you could avoid PTT, but I couldn't mess with that since my wife (sitting right beside me) was in a different raid and she doesn't use headphones (can't really with toddlers).

If I thought I needed to actively micro-manage a raid encounter as the RL, I'd prefer Mumble over Vent. For now.. I'm okay with sticking with vent since there wasn't a clear benefit over vent for my guild.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego (US:Nathrezim)
Good times with Great people in the Best way to spend $15/mo.

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Mumble is super easy to setup with the wizard and you don't get the delay that vent has.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

Yarp...I don't even have to log into my guild's mumble.

I just log into the guild site and click the mumble link. With the mumble client downloaded, the program opens and puts you into the proper server automatically, it even uses your username from the website.

Carpie

united state

Is mumble free or does it come with server fees like vent?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

My understanding is its free-er than vent.

You can run your own server or pay to rent a server.
--
»Death Star Petition

Carpie

united state

You can run your own vent server also I'm pretty sure.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by Carpie:

You can run your own vent server also I'm pretty sure.

Only a 5 slot one

Vent won't sell licenses to individuals

I ranted about that some time ago.
--
»Death Star Petition

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Carpie

from the ventrilo site.

quote:
Ventrilo is comprised of two parts: Server and Client.
Server 3.0 - Public version:

The public version of the Ventrilo 3.0 server can be used without a license fee, so long as you abide by the terms of the LICENSE. Each of the public servers contains a file named LICENSE and by downloading and running the server you are agreeing to the terms of this license.

Server 3.0 - Pro version:

The Pro version of the Ventrilo server can not be downloaded. It requires that we accept your application and that you sign and return the Ventrilo license. However, we do not license everyone.

In order for an applicant to be considered you must meet the following minimum requirements.

1) You must have a legitimate business license in your state, country or jurisdiction. Please be prepared to provide proof when requested.

2) You agree to a 1000 slot minimum. Slot counts greater then 1000 are billed at the per slot rate for the total number of slots hosted. Slot counts below 1000 are billed at the per slot rate with the required minimum of 1000 slots.

3) Licensee's slot counts are expected to grow on a regular basis.

We do not license individuals or businesses who wish only to run one or two standalone servers. In these cases you will need to rent a server from one of our official licensees on the hosting page.

If you do not meet these basic requirements then please contact us at sales@ventrilo.com to discuss other options.

If you do meet the basic requirements please send us an email at license@ventrilo.com and include the following information:

Business name.
Business address.
The full name of the business owner.
Your full name.
Your title in the company.
An official company phone number where you can be reached.
URL to company web site.
Official email contact address.
Number of employees.

Please include an explanation on how you intend to use the product and in what countries.

All license applications will be reviewed, however, due to the volume of applications we receive it may take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks to process your request. It may take longer so please be patient.

Please note that not all applications will be approved.

Client:

All client programs come with a license that must be accepted before installation. This license details the requirements for it's use.

Previous versions:

Anyone who provides access to a Ventrilo server that is not version 3.0 is committing fraud.

Since all official licensee's are required to run the latest 3.0 Pro servers then any hosting company providing you access to an older version of the server is subject to legal action and punitive damages. This will include, but not limited to, contacting all state / federal law enforcement agencies and requesting their assistance in a fraud investigation. If they are outside of the United States then their respective countries / jurisdiction law enforcement agencies will be contacted.

From here:
For those people that use Windows or Linux based firewall's to connect their internal home LAN's with the Internet can setup a server on the firewall computer so that friends and family can connect to your server and talk for free.

Sever setup instructions are located here.

--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.