workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mina

Re: question about malicious software

Maybe when it got reimaged it resized the partitions so your missing space is in the form of unallocated partition space.

Open Computer Management and see if there is any unallocated space on the disk.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Mina

join:2003-01-04
Tucson, AZ
I followed workablob's instructions and it shows 2 partitions. The first is 100mb and it's called "System Reserved" and the other is C: and it's 698.54gb.

I know on my other win 7 machine there are 3 windows partitions: Utility, System Restore and C:.

I guess there isn't a whole lot of space missing as I thought earlier. I mainly use Linux for my day to day computing so I don't know too much about Windows anymore. Last version I delved into in any depth was probably 95 or 98.

But is there any info on the other issue - could he have installed something malicious when he used the thumb drive and if so how can I find it and remove it? Am I being overly cautious and paranoid? I'd be perfectly happy if I was!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Mina:

...But is there any info on the other issue - could he have installed something malicious when he used the thumb drive and if so how can I find it and remove it? Am I being overly cautious and paranoid? I'd be perfectly happy if I was!

Certainly. A knowledgeable tech using external media could conceivably install almost anything, and if he's really good, it might be very hard to detect (an MBR virus, a root-kit, etc, etc). The real question is how much you can trust the tech, who he works for, what guarantees of workmanship were given, etc. No matter who works on your system, an element of trust will always be involved... including in yourself, if you do your own work (you may not know of all the pitfalls involved in something you're attempting).
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Mina

Tucson, AZ
Thanks for that...it may not have been exactly what I wanted to hear but it's always good to know the true scoop.

He was an authorized service technician from Dell - sent by them in response to a call from me. There was nothing about him that gave off any weird vibes except for that thumb drive.

But I'm over-reacting, aren't I? It's just that you read so much these days that pretty much scares the life out of you. I'm actually at the point that when I am in windows I keep the internet turned off.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Mina, your question led to a interesting read...thanks...we can never be too careful. I can relate to being stuck in an uncomfortable place wondering...

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mina
said by Mina:

But I'm over-reacting, aren't I?

I would say so.

The thumb drive was likely bootable and contained the restore image and the means to restore it.

Relax. You're fine my friend.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Mina

Tucson, AZ

1 edit
I have relaxed a bit thank goodness. I read online that IF your bios was infected it could be fixed by resetting to factory default or flashing. A little scary but something to keep in mind.

Now about that kudos thing...not sure if I did it right but it says it was given!