Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Upgrading phone -- Rogers is nuts

So my cell contract is up in April and Robbers has been calling saying I "qualify " for an early upgrade.

So I finally answer the call and I said that I was possibly interested in the iPhone 5.

My "early" upgrade is over 400 bucks!

WTF they called me not the other way around!
I figured I'd start the negations late January but this is nuts.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I thought anyone with 2 years into the 3 year term qualifies for the same price as a new client on a 3 year deal.

Given that your term is nearly ending, you should have no trouble doing that, not $400 lol...

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

It's all changed now. You must wait until the contract associated with your last subsidized device is over in order to upgrade with no early upgrade fee.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by yyzlhr:

It's all changed now. You must wait until the contract associated with your last subsidized device is over in order to upgrade with no early upgrade fee.

Wow, first it was you couldnt upgrade after 1 year, then you cant upgrade after two years? wow...

Fuck them next phone i am not going on a contract for...

If only Wind had coverage up north in cottage country I'd be off Rogers in a flash.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Haha, I just checked my elgibility online on the Rogers site... My contract expires Oct 1st 2013.

iPhone 5 32GB Price before $50 HUP credit $329
Early Upgrade fee $130
Admin Fee $35

Total $494
Total w/tax $558

ROFLMAO... They can lick my you know what for that price... I'd rather pay $350 more and have an unlocked and contract free device that I can resell at a premium in the future due to it being unlocked.
--

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by yyzlhr:

Wow, first it was you couldnt upgrade after 1 year, then you cant upgrade after two years? wow...

If only Wind had coverage up north in cottage country I'd be off Rogers in a flash.

Well Rogers essentially switched to a similar system to Wind where you put your phone subsidy on a "tab" and if you want to upgrade early you need to pay off your tab. Just like the Wind, the tab is completely paid off within 3 years, or 2 if you take a two year contract instead. The difference is that the Rogers tab reduces faster then the wind tab as they use different formulas to calculate how much is paid off each month.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by yyzlhr:

Well Rogers essentially switched to a similar system to Wind where you put your phone subsidy on a "tab" and if you want to upgrade early you need to pay off your tab. Just like the Wind, the tab is completely paid off within 3 years, or 2 if you take a two year contract instead. The difference is that the Rogers tab reduces faster then the wind tab as they use different formulas to calculate how much is paid off each month.

Sure, but can't compare the monthly rates Rogers vs Wind... Not even close, as rogers nickel and dimes you on every feature...
--

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON

I always do the hardware upgrades with Rogers because in the end you're going to be paying the same price monthly with or without the subsidized phone. Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

said by Insilin1i:

Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

For $50

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Stewy:

said by Insilin1i:

Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

For $50

Yeah, what a ripoff, and especially in the case of an iPhone it requires no part on their action except sending the unlock request to Apple's servers so you can restore your phone thru iTunes and it unlocks that way.
--

Insilin1i

join:2010-07-15
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

It actually ends up being the same price as a regular unlocked iPhone since they offer you a $50 hardware upgrade credit at the beginning, well when you submit for it online.

Well it makes sense for some I guess, for me it was that they would only give me $20 in credits every month if I signed for 3 years. So I might as well get a phone since I'll pay the same price every month with it or without it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Insilin1i

said by Insilin1i:

I always do the hardware upgrades with Rogers because in the end you're going to be paying the same price monthly with or without the subsidized phone. Also when your 3 years ends you can always unlock the phone through Rogers.

But you are stuck for 3yrs, with an unlocked/no contract deal, you can jump at the first good deal that comes along.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by elwoodblues:

said by Insilin1i:

But you are stuck for 3yrs, with an unlocked/no contract deal, you can jump at the first good deal that comes along.

There is some merit to that point. The big 3 doesn't often come up with good deals and if they do, they are subsequently copied by everyone else anyways.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

you dont know how many ppl are dying to pay the early upgrade fee, ie more money, to upgrade to a phone sooner. people dont think they just pay pay pay
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to elwoodblues

Rogers has lost it.

I got a mailing from them telling me I can upgrade to two phones, for $190 a month for shared minutes and internet (10 GB, I think).

$190...these people must think the public is insane.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by yyzlhr:

If you don't spend a lot of time up there....I think Wind does have roaming packages, or you could put call forwarding to a different provider -- I am thinking Petro Canada, when you're up north. Petro Canada is $25 and it's good for 120 days I believe.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by J E F F:

If you don't spend a lot of time up there....I think Wind does have roaming packages, or you could put call forwarding to a different provider -- I am thinking Petro Canada, when you're up north. Petro Canada is $25 and it's good for 120 days I believe.

It's not voice minutes that worry me, it's the data roaming. Wind roaming is $1 per Megabyte... So yeah, no thanks...
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to yyzlhr

Wind pays off 10% of your monthly bill off of your WindTab. So if you got a $200 phone for free, and you cancel after 6 months, and you had a $40 plan, you'd owe $200 minus $24 (6 months * $4). Not sure how Rogers does it now, but it's $10 per month for data to maximum $100 and $20 per month up to a maximum of $400, so regardless if you cancel after 6 months or a year and a half, you're out $500. Wind at least is clear and honest about it.

With Wind, your balance will NOT be paid off after 36 months, their promise is to $0 balance your phone in the 37 month.

Again, though, you can't compare the two services. How much would Rogers charge for Canada/USA wide unlimited, unlimited incoming, caller ID, unlimited Data (but throttled after 6GB) 1 cent international calling (to non-cell phones), unlimited global texting and voice mail?

Well, a hell of a lot more than the $40 that Wind charges. Closest thing I can find with Rogers is $105 for a similar service (not everything though) But it would be unlimited Canada and 6GB of data only. I don't believe that includes voice mail and caller ID. (nor US wide calling)
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

If you're just looking for data, why not just get the rocket stick at $5 a month for the Flex plan, it goes to $17 for 250 MB and $37 for 5GB.

Although that is the one issue with Wind...lack of coverage.
--

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Wind pays off 10% of your monthly bill off of your WindTab. So if you got a $200 phone for free, and you cancel after 6 months, and you had a $40 plan, you'd owe $200 minus $24 (6 months * $4). Not sure how Rogers does it now

I think Rogers does equal division now - the % of the subsidy you have to pay back is equal to the % of the term left on your contract.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by bt:

said by J E F F:

Wind pays off 10% of your monthly bill off of your WindTab. So if you got a $200 phone for free, and you cancel after 6 months, and you had a $40 plan, you'd owe $200 minus $24 (6 months * $4). Not sure how Rogers does it now

I think Rogers does equal division now - the % of the subsidy you have to pay back is equal to the % of the term left on your contract.

I think that that is true, however, from what I can tell, data is still separate from the Economic Recovery Fee. So an additional $100 on top of it. However, the site is unclear to exactly what they mean, despite "in other words".
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

I'm going to run out my contract with Rogers then explore my options...

I might even ride it out with the iPhone 4...

Right now it would cost me $400 in ETF fees... no freakin way.
--

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to J E F F

Yep.

And the administrative fee. And the "Day ending in Y" fee. And the "Hah! You really thought it would be that easy?" fee. And the fee for incurring extra fees.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to HiVolt

My early upgrade fee is $195, not sure what my ETF is though.

Just a little pissed off because I have issues with the phone, and Rogers is doing little to help, despite that it is still under warranty.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by J E F F:

Just a little pissed off because I have issues with the phone, and Rogers is doing little to help, despite that it is still under warranty.

fry it, if they refuse to help... PM me if you need help with that.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by bt:

said by J E F F:

I think that that is true, however, from what I can tell, data is still separate from the Economic Recovery Fee. So an additional $100 on top of it. However, the site is unclear to exactly what they mean, despite "in other words".

The economic recovery fee is split into a voice and data portion. However, with most premium smartphones the "recovery fee' aka the subsidy is heavily shifted towards the data side. For example the galaxy s3 typically carries a voice subsidy of only $50 and the rest of the subsidy is from the data side.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to elwoodblues

So yesterday I get a "letter" from Rogers offering the same upgrade deal, but this time it's all "free".

I checked out the fine print, Iphone 5 is not included in any deal.

The new hardware upgrade business started Jan of this year, it doesn't apply to my contract that started up in 2010.
--

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to elwoodblues

I'm in a similar boat right now. In the last year of a 3 year contract with Bell (Expires in May 2013). I get at least one text msg a week telling me I am eligible for an upgrade. If I choose to upgrade before end of the year they'll waive the $35 upgrade fee, only then for me to pay full price for the phone I want ($495) unless I sign another 3 year contract. Gosh they're dense. I'll be waiting until the end and by then BB10 devices will be aplenty.

canDarian
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Waterloo, ON
reply to elwoodblues

I don't know how anyone could go under contract on a phone,there not unlocked and the prices are freaking insane
I have used Petro Canada for years and will use it for years to come,it's 38 bucks for 300 mins and unlimited text and internet.

Alot easier to sell your unlocked GSM and use that to fund your upgrade then deal with these i-DOTS

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

I pay less then 40 with tax,so about the same,only I'm limited to 6gb of data (which frankly for a mobile phone is plenty)