uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Connects them all to the Clearwire WiMax network - LOL

A service with an infrastructure that barely exists and where it does exist, coverage is like swiss cheese with lots of holes. It LOOKS LIKE a wonderful offering - until you try to actually use it.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by FFH:

A service with an infrastructure that barely exists and where it does exist, coverage is like swiss cheese with lots of holes. It LOOKS LIKE a wonderful offering - until you try to actually use it.

That's because, unlike AT&T and VZW, Clearwire doesn't have the billion dollar+ backing that those incumbent received over the last decade. And to show their appreciation, they gouge us, lie to us, lobby our government, and hand over our information to our government without a cent of concern for our privacy.

FreedomPop is picking up momentum, and overtime Clearwire will expand their network, if AT&T and VZW doesn't get in their way.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
reply to FFH

Here's my (lack of) coverage map--green is good (and it's all around me):

See that little dot in the middle? That's me.

But, as with cell service back in the '80s, I'm sure it'll improve. (heh-heh)
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

kem09030

join:2004-11-29
Rushville, IL
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

FreedomPop is picking up momentum, and overtime Clearwire will expand their network, if AT&T and VZW doesn't get in their way.

Clearwire is no longer expanding WiMAX service. At some point next year they are going to try to get a bit of LTE up and running. If you have WiMAX you will have it for a few years to come. No WiMAX, it isn't coming. I wonder if this will be available when/if Clear gets LTE going. Clear may not be around at that time...having been bought by Sprint or Dish.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY
reply to NotTheMama

said by NotTheMama:

But, as with cell service back in the '80s, I'm sure it'll improve. (heh-heh)

Yeah... but I'm OLD. I probably won't LIVE that long and if I do, may not even know what the Internet IS anymore (or my own name).
--
Isn't it sad that those that raise their right hand and swear "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America" are usually the ones most likely to trash it.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Rob

I don't think that is the reason. US Cellular has solid coverage in their territory with less financial backing than Clearwire.

Clearwire simply has high frequency spectrum and they did not building out their network accordingly.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to NotTheMama

nearest coverage to me is 70 miles away and the people there already have Comcast and U-verse to choose from. Why bother with this?

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Why did people bother with DSL back in... uh-oh, they say your memory is the first thing to go... well, somewhere back in the '80s or '90s? It has potential, though it may only turn out to be the potential to fail. From small beginnings...
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to FFH

Clearwire works better with high-powered desktop modems than with low-powered mobile devices. This is from experience, comparing a WiMAX phone (Epic 4G) and a WiMAX hotspot (Clear Spot Voyager) to the Clear Hub Express desktop modem.

Honestly, this is the use case where a WiMAX network in 2500 can be used from a reasonable coverage perspective. Versus a mobile context where the devices just can't pick up the signal well enough to do anything useful with it much of the time.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to 88615298

...then obviously you aren't a potential customer. And someone in Clear's coverage area is.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 edit
reply to NotTheMama

Click for full size
The (lack of) coverage
Ha. Better than me.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

either it works or it don't. For home systems, worth the try.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--