Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mina

join:2003-01-04
Tucson, AZ
reply to Blackbird

Re: question about malicious software

Thanks for that...it may not have been exactly what I wanted to hear but it's always good to know the true scoop.

He was an authorized service technician from Dell - sent by them in response to a call from me. There was nothing about him that gave off any weird vibes except for that thumb drive.

But I'm over-reacting, aren't I? It's just that you read so much these days that pretty much scares the life out of you. I'm actually at the point that when I am in windows I keep the internet turned off.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Mina, your question led to a interesting read...thanks...we can never be too careful. I can relate to being stuck in an uncomfortable place wondering...

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mina

said by Mina:

But I'm over-reacting, aren't I?

I would say so.

The thumb drive was likely bootable and contained the restore image and the means to restore it.

Relax. You're fine my friend.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Mina

join:2003-01-04
Tucson, AZ

1 edit

I have relaxed a bit thank goodness. I read online that IF your bios was infected it could be fixed by resetting to factory default or flashing. A little scary but something to keep in mind.

Now about that kudos thing...not sure if I did it right but it says it was given!