how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mainesail

join:2012-12-12
Morris, IL

[Rant] ownyourmodem.com

I hope that anyone reading this will think twice about purchasing a cable modem from this company. I bought a Arris modem but when Comcast came to install our new service, the technician checked and said that the modem was Comcast property and he could not install it. I immediately contacted the seller(an eBay purchase) and got a snotty answer back with no offer of resolution. After some back and forth through eBay, the seller offered a full refund upon receipt of the modem.
He now has the modem and my money and eBay has been totally useless in resolving it. I had never filed a dispute before and just assumed that the seller was honest and would get things taken care of. I was obviously naive and he waited long enough that eBay now says that it's too late for any resolution. Too bad, so sad. I can't even leave feedback because of the length of time it has taken to get to this point.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

You can find many topics & posts exactly like yours on forums telling & warning about purchasing modems off of Ebay. Lesson learned.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to mainesail

Thanks for posting your experience ! No surprise there. We've seen many posts here indicating that that site is questionable !

mainesail

Morris, IL

I did see some earlier topics but they were too old to reply to. I found another site with the same topic and one post said the company has an F rating with Utah's BBB.
That says it all.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to mainesail

With any purchase from Ebay with a problem file a dispute right away. If the seller is properly responsive it can be removed.
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to mainesail

I had friend a couple years back that thought he was going to make some money, so he bought 6 modems on ebay for $15 each and was going to resell them for $35 to his family and friends, set them up on Comcast and all would be well.
Turns out they had all been stolen and Comcast wouldn't provision them, so all he had was 6 paper weights and 6 pissed off people.
So much for buying modems on ebay, Craigslist or any place like that.
Pay a little more and buy from reputable company and avoid all that crap.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 recommendation

reply to mainesail

If you paid by credit card even by Paypal you might get it resolved.
--
Caddy

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mainesail

Caddyroger See Profile has the right idea, MOST CC companies will provide some leverage with EBay, (since they could potentially back charge if you paid through Ebay) and even can "suggest" to the seller that they will bar him from CC sales that he make good.
Better CC's may even repay part of your loss if you can document fraud or show an online loss.

Unfortunately I remember previous complains about that exact seller and the lack of action by both EBay and UTAH's AG.
Most online sales are buyer beware anyway.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mainesail

Hopefully you paid with a credit card (CC) or your debit card being processed as credit. Also, I hope you got delivery confirmation on sending it back. If you paid through a CC or a direct bank draft (never do bank drafts) via PayPal, file a depute with PayPal. Ebay and PayPal may be slow to get you any resolution and you may just have to go to the bank.

If all else fails, call the bank that issued you the CC you used. As the card holder you have the right to issue a chargeback. It is on the merchant to prove that they provided the good and/or services to you and you were satisfied with them. Having your conversations with them on file along with a tracking number will be in your favor. If the CSR gives you grief, they don't understand PCI regulations so you'll just need to hangup and call back or ask for a manager.

If you did a bank draft, good luck trying to sort that out with the bank and PayPal. Hopefully PayPal would give you your money back, the bank has some sort of fraud policy, or the FDIC maybe able to do something.

NEVER do a bank draft with PayPal; you only save them money and put yourself in a worse position. If you need to link a bank account to get their uber verified status, open a savings account with Ally or something, put a few bucks in there, and make that your Ebay account. When you go to spend money, use a CC. PayPal isn't a bank; they're just a middleman.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to mainesail

Im sorry this happend.....

Looks like the guy just sold you A MODEM OFF OF AN ALREADY VALID ACCOUNT??

I hope you get your $$$$ back!!

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to mainesail

Re: [Rant] ownyourmodem.com

Hopefully folks will have better luck with »mynewmodem.comcast.net
--
JL
Comcast

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20

1 edit
reply to mainesail

here's the latest thread about people blindly buying modems out of nowhere...which was a few threads down to your new thread and it ain't old...goes to show you don't ________ [you complete the sentence]

»[Rant] Avoid! They sell USED modems for price of new one!

I still can't believe people can't do a simple research on how to buy and where to buy modems...specially with a ton of information out there...

buyers are partly to blame because of this...people have a tendency to be a sucker for a good deal even though it looks like it's too good of a deal...

more about that site...

»Re: Did I buy a stolen Arris telephony/modem?

»Re: My experience with OwnYouModem

»Re: Did I buy a stolen Arris telephony/modem?

mainesail

Morris, IL

Thanks for the tip on the credit card. I'll start the process with AMEX today.
This whole thing makes me wonder why Comcast doesn't go after the guy and at the same time, how does he come to have all of these modems which are Comcast's property?

medbuyer

said by mainesail:

This whole thing makes me wonder why Comcast doesn't go after the guy and at the same time, how does he come to have all of these modems which are Comcast's property?

simple...

Comcast is happily charging customers equipment fee which pays for the modem where they bought it dirt cheap...their system works, so why change it....since they can easily detect previously owned modems where customers didn't turn them in properly or just stopped paying, they can just say no we can't activate that..either get their modem or buy a brand new sealed one from B&M stores....easier than deploying cable modem police to look for crooks...

as for the guy, he goes on a shopping spree in flea markets, craigslist, ebay etc. and tries to turn them around to an unsuspecting buyer just like you....

i'm not trying to side with Comcast here but they're doing their homework...you did not....

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Looked at another way, Comcast is facilitating fraud by colluding in a bunco scheme.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

medbuyer

said by NotTheMama:

Looked at another way, Comcast is facilitating fraud by colluding in a bunco scheme.

I don't think so....have you heard of signal theft?

people were trying to steal cable modem signal to get free internet by hacking modems....

it's easier for them not to activate just any modem out there not knowing its condition...you'd be dumb if you did too...

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

I think that's a different type of issue.

medbuyer

said by NotTheMama:

I think that's a different type of issue.

if you're replying to me....

maybe different issue but directly related and affects how they handle modems...

Kara

@comcast.net
reply to mainesail

So you know comcast can look up the mac address and that shows up in data base across the country that its lease or retail modem. And alot of models are not sold as retail. Most calls I get I can tell if it is or not by the model.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to mainesail

if you paid with a credit card, do a charge back.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to medbuyer

Only the service provider is entitled to own and hook-up service or make provision for such. On the other hand, anyone is allowed to own a modem and sell it off if and when they no longer want or need it. As such, one has no specific reason to presume that the modem they purchase anywhere is "stolen" (except when they do--when buying from sites and sellers who have a history of selling stolen property, such as this one apparently).

And, really, Comcast is so concerned about some cheap (used now) modem that it's willing to blow off customers willing to give them a bundle of money every month amounting to more than the modem is now worth? (Actually, I guess this isn't at all surprising from an ISP that continually charges customers a modem rental fee even when they've been using a modem they legally own and are on record with Comcast as owning.) They should simply reclaim it into their system and credit the new/existing customer with a finder's fee and move on... build up some good will. (Yeah, sure--I'm holding my breath as I type.)
--

medbuyer

said by NotTheMama:

Only the service provider is entitled to own and hook-up service or make provision for such.

I agree with you...

said by NotTheMama:

On the other hand, anyone is allowed to own a modem and sell it off if and when they no longer want or need it.

Completely agree...except that some buyers turn out to be the wrong people that modems shouldn't be on their hands...

said by NotTheMama:

As such, one has no specific reason to presume that the modem they purchase anywhere is "stolen" (except when they do--when buying from sites and sellers who have a history of selling stolen property, such as this one apparently).

I don't see anywhere mentioning that the site was selling stolen modems. I did say that the seller may have gone on a flea market, ebay or craigslist shopping spree and tried to turn it around on his site to unsuspecting buyers. Again, with that site not knowing the full condition of the modem and neither Comcast.

said by NotTheMama:

And, really, Comcast is so concerned about some cheap (used now) modem that it's willing to blow off customers willing to give them a bundle of money every month amounting to more than the modem is now worth? (Actually, I guess this isn't at all surprising from an ISP that continually charges customers a modem rental fee even when they've been using a modem they legally own and are on record with Comcast as owning.) They should simply reclaim it into their system and credit the new/existing customer with a finder's fee and move on... build up some good will. (Yeah, sure--I'm holding my breath as I type.)

customer who bought from legit stores and got legit modems can activate it with their comcast service and that's been well documented here specially those who want to avoid paying the equip. fee of $7. they key to it is making sure you return their modem and document that return or have a receipt to back it up. Comcast does have issues with customer returning their modems.

Comcast is running a business and you are basically agreeing by paying a monthly to subscribe to their service....if you don't like who they run their business, you can look somewhere else...

again, this whole thing won't happen if buyers like the OP would do a little research...

mainesail

Morris, IL
reply to ArrayList

The Comcast technician told me that a lot of these modems come from people who really don't care about their credit score. They walk away from their Comcast service without returning the modem and just take whatever ding their credit score takes.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

said by mainesail:

The Comcast technician told me that a lot of these modems come from people who really don't care about their credit score. They walk away from their Comcast service without returning the modem and just take whatever ding their credit score takes.

These people are dumb beyond comprehension to think $75 is worth the ding to their credit, all while committing fraud.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to medbuyer

Yeah, I don't think most sites/sellers promote their products as stolen. But, yeah, some little research will show which ones really are not reputable, if not out and out thieves.

Modems are the least of my concerns about returning to Comcast.
--

medbuyer

said by NotTheMama:

Yeah, I don't think most sites/sellers promote their products as stolen.

of course they wont....they're actually returns just like what the OP said...why do you keep on thinking it's stolen?

said by mainesail:

said by NotTheMama:

and you're contributing to it by not returning it...

said by pflog:

These people are dumb beyond comprehension to think $75 is worth the ding to their credit, all while committing fraud.

and get a ding in your credit score for a modem that costs $75 just like pflog See Profile said...

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to mainesail

yeah, but you'd get your money back and they might lose the ability to accept credit card payments.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to medbuyer

Because "stolen" is how Comcast for the most part views them? (But that wasn't actually what I was talking about.)

You're not talking to me, right? 'cause I returned Comcast's modem to them. And I do view not returning someone else's property as "theft". (I also still have both of my own modems.)
--

medbuyer

said by NotTheMama:

Because "stolen" is how Comcast for the most part views them? (But that wasn't actually what I was talking about.)

they might be after Comcast sees people not returning them...

said by NotTheMama:

You're not talking to me, right? 'cause I returned Comcast's modem to them. And I do view not returning someone else's property as "theft". (I also still have both of my own modems.)

I was replying to what you said...

said by NotTheMama:

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I think he meant he has other concerns about returning to Comcast as a customer.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates