spc
Search similar:

uniqs

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

Can you beleive "The OPP cannot find 200 vehicles listed in

confused..get angry or laugh or let it go as it is common when taxpayers money is involved. I remember Montreal police had one or two cars which were stolen property. But this one is the best.

I mean this is OPP to serve and protect. May be they should concentrate on real policing than RIDE checks.

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· politics

So what else is there is AG report.

Ah yes writing off $1.4 billion in unpaid corporate taxes. Because Canadian are Honest and these honest people don't pay taxes. And the honest people don't want to find the culprits and write-off billions.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

Re: Can you beleive "The OPP cannot find 200 vehicles liste

i'm not overly surprised at anything in that report...it simply shows the failures of the McGuinty government that most of us (non-Liberals) have been talking about for the past 8 years.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
This is McGuinty's legacy in Ontario, something totally and completely worth become enraged and furious over, and yet the best people can do is bitch about teachers.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Not really, I expressed my displeasure by not voting for him in the last election. Unfortunately enough people didn't care and voted for him and his crew.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The way people are harping on in other discussions on this site and the top stories on TV and in the newspaper sort of show that my point about people needing to refocus their blame is correct.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

So what else is there is AG report.

Ah yes writing off $1.4 billion in unpaid corporate taxes. Because Canadian are Honest and these honest people don't pay taxes. And the honest people don't want to find the culprits and write-off billions.

Oh but tax cuts were supposed to be a gusher in cash due to all those corporations playing their reduced taxes voluntarily.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Corporate income taxes - including the provincial portion - are collected by the feds through the CRA, not the province through the Ministry of Finance directly. This is most likely pre-HST PST debts that are being written off since the province has wanted to close those books for the last year and get all those guys transferred into the CRA and get their wages off the provincial ledger.

If only the feds were so lackadaisical about collecting corporate income tax or source deductions.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Gone:

Corporate income taxes - including the provincial portion - are collected by the feds through the CRA, not the province through the Ministry of Finance directly. This is most likely pre-HST PST debts that are being written off since the province has wanted to close those books for the last year and get all those guys transferred into the CRA and get their wages off the provincial ledger.

If only the feds were so lackadaisical about collecting corporate income tax or source deductions.

Corporate Provincial Income Taxes pre-2009 are still the responsibility of the Ministry of Finance (Ontario), those are the unpaid taxes that the AG is referring to in this report. When they transferred most of their staff to CRA, these unpaid files didn't go with then.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, that sort of makes sense as it's the same situation with the PST. They'd rather write it all off then maintain the staff to enforce collection.

Come to think of it, we had some issues with some earlier provincial corporate returns, and the level of involvement the province took to try and collect (despite them being incorrect and corrected years later after collection had been harmonized) pales in comparison to the monthly statements and phone calls the CRA engages in when you owe them anything. This doesn't surprise me at all.

It's amusing to mention that the Ministry of Finance guys I've talked to loathe the idea of working at the CRA. One provincial auditor I dealt with described the CRA as a "culture of assholes." I can't say I disagree with him.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

hey, my buddy works for CRA...he's not an asshole.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot

said by dirtyjeffer0:

hey, my buddy works for CRA...he's not an asshole.

I'm sure if you get him and a few of his co-workers in a room he becomes a different person.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit

LazMan to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
Not to defend - but technically, the AG said "At _ONE_ point, the OPP could not find 200 vehicles..." - sounded to be in the past tense, to me.

Given a fleet the size of the OPP's (~4000 vehicles IIRC) and with as much churn and replacement as goes on - it's not entirely surprising, and in my experience with corporate fleets of similar size, not that unusual. There's always vehicles out for service, body work, paint, refit, etc, etc - doesn't excuse sloppy record-keeping, either, of course, but not shocking.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

And remember that the new face of the OPP is Julian Fantino's creation.. And you know whose team Don Fantino's playing for... Hint: Federal cabinet minister By the way, I'll take Squinty over someone like Harris any day of the week. They'll both mismanage the province badly, but at least Squinty won't kill the cow for the milk (407, LCBO....)

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
Missing cars? That's not too bad -- it implies that at least they are being used.

Try this on for size.. a report earlier this year surfaced that my county (Miami-Dade County) kept 150 brand new cars in a garage for six years.
quote:
Miami-Dade County is under fire for letting hundreds of new cars�€“Toyota Prius hybrids, pickup trucks, vans and police patrol vehicles�€“sit, unused, in a county garage. For six years.

Back in 2006, the county added 908 new cars to its 7,300-car fleet. A year later, after the recession hit, they reduced their fleet by 947. Some of the remaining cars were sold, but the others were warehoused in the Earlington Heights Metrorail station parking garage, said County spokesperson Suzy Trutie.

By the spring of 2008, the number of idle vehicles�€“worth an estimated $4 million�€“ had grown to 1,200, the Miami Herald reported.

»abcnews.go.com/blogs/bus ··· -garage/

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3

The report doesn't say they lost 200 cars, it says they lost track of personal use of 200 cars for several months.

According to CRA rules personal use of employer's cars is a taxable benefit.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

And remember that the new face of the OPP is Julian Fantino's creation.. And you know whose team Don Fantino's playing for... Hint: Federal cabinet minister By the way, I'll take Squinty over someone like Harris any day of the week. They'll both mismanage the province badly, but at least Squinty won't kill the cow for the milk (407, LCBO....)

Harris did exactly what he said he was going to do if elected...as well, there were reasons Harris sold the 407 (attempted to get cash to balance the budget, thanks to downloading from the Federal Liberals)...Harris had reasons for what he did...McGuinty didn't, and our provincial debt has almost doubled under his term.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Because it's two budgets, there was money in the capital budget (thus the new cars) but no money in the operating budget (we can't run them).

This is how perverse accounting has become for governmental agencies, different fiefdoms, different accounting methods, different budgets... In Toronto, Ford is trying to consolidate IT and accounting under one roof to save on operational costs with various departments/agencies.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
No, the reason was he cut taxes with money he didn't have and had to borrow it In order to show some semblance of progress against the deficit, he started having fire sales, and dumping assets.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

No, the reason was he cut taxes with money he didn't have and had to borrow it In order to show some semblance of progress against the deficit, he started having fire sales, and dumping assets.

keep living in your dream world elwood...it is a known fact...the Liberals balanced the budget by dumping costs onto the provinces...Harris could have run a deficit and racked up debt like McGuinty did, be he refused to, and even enacted a law forcing Premiers to balance the budgets...i suppose you could say Harris was a victim of his own "law"...McGuinty ditched the law shortly after taking office and the rest is history...we are in FAR worse shape now than we were 10 years ago and to say otherwise is simply foolish.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Actually, the Liberals balanced the budget by raising CPP rates and include EI and CPP into general revenue, thus balance the books. I have doubts that they ever even had a balanced budget if you minus the payroll taxes.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

keep living in your dream world elwood...it is a known fact...the Liberals balanced the budget by dumping costs onto the provinces...

Who cares? At the end of the day it's all coming out of the same pocket: yours and mine. We still send the same amount of taxes to Ottawa, Toronto and our municipality. It's just the proportions that changed.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

its the OPP, why am i not surprised?