Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

A little early: Godzilla is back.. 2014. *Crosses fingers*

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/1 ··· 521.html

quote:
'Godzilla' Movie: 2014 Release Date Planned

Gareth Edwards will direct "Godzilla," which is set to be a real-world take on the famed monster. "['Godzilla'] will return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner," the studio said in a statement to THR.

»godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla ··· _film%29
quote:
On March 29, 2010, it was confirmed that Legendary had acquired the rights to Godzilla. They plan to reboot the franchise with Warner Bros. co-producing and co-financing. TriStar Pictures will not be involved in the production because their rights to the character expired in 2003. Legendary plans to make the new film closer in style to the original Japanese character than TriStar's iguana-like creature. According to Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary Pictures, "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop culturally relevant for as long as it has."

At the 3D Summit conference held in September 2010 at Universal Studios, producer Brian Rogers confirmed the planned date of 2012. The reboot will be a live-action project featuring a computer-generated Godzilla. Godzilla will fight at least one other monster, rather than the United States Army like in Roland Emmerich's film. It was also mentioned that Godzilla will use his atomic breath, a trademark weapon omitted by Emmerich and co-writer/producer Dean Devlin in the previous American film.

During Comic-con 2012, director Gareth Edwards participated in a Godzilla panel, in which they screened a new teaser trailer, described as so, a destroyed city is seen, as Robert Oppenheimer's speech comes in, "I am become death, destroyer of worlds" as a huge dead centipede type creature is smoldering, and finally, a roar is heard, and the camera cuts to Godzilla, true to his japanese origins, roaring. Although no videos of this trailer were taken, a still to the right side was taken by a fan, showing a vague view of Godzilla.

As of September 13, 2012, the movie's release date has been announced. The movie will be released on May 16, 2014.

I only hope it doesn't suck.

I so love Godzilla, I feel like a young kid when ever I watch the movies.
It's so simple, but so detailed. And yes, the goofs [like the cables that mothra is attached to].
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
lets hope its better than that bad 1990s version(I think it was the 90s)

Honestly I hope it has some cheese to it, that is part of why the originals are cult classics.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Yeah the one with Matthew Broderick sucked - they tried to make it too realistic. I want radioactive flame shooting out of his mouth along with his distinctive roar.
»www.wavsource.com/snds_2012-12-1 ··· illa.wav

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
This is just an opinion of mine..

No radioactive death breath=not really Godzilla.

I mean its a trademark. lacking it is like Agent Smith without a Desert Eagle. John McClain without Yippie Ky Yay. Camden, NJ without crime.
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Wily_One
Which is why I love Godzilla Final war. The NYC Godzilla only lives long enough against the real Godzilla to get tossed into the Sydney Opera house. I recall reading that the lucky people that saw this movie in the theater actually stood up and cheered the death of the NYC Godzilla.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC
reply to Snakeoil
Hum guess everyone had the same thought ie: 1990 film. Although as a monster movie it was decent. But wasn't worthy of the name Godzilla, since it clearly wasn't a Godzilla movie.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I so love Godzilla, I feel like a young kid when ever I watch the movies.
It's so simple, but so detailed. And yes, the goofs [like the cables that mothra is attached to].

I grew up watching Godzilla, sometimes in the wee hours of the night. To this day, I still love it and watch (even if I see the "cables" of Mothra). No matter how many times I've seen the different Godzilla movies, I don't get tired of seeing it over and over again.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
In part I think that is because Godzilla and other monster movies of that era are still simply enjoyable films. They have flaws, their plots are garbage, The cables are visible and you know its a guy in a rubber suit. But it most people enjoy a good monster flick.

Of course I also love movies like Independence Day, Again cheesy as hell but good fun.

Sure yes sometimes a heart moving well scripted drama is good. But if one cannot enjoy shutting the brain off, turning the TV on and watching an 80 story lizard stomp the shit out of Tokyo there is something wrong with them.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

What hooks me to movies like Godzilla is the set details. Working stop lights, traffic, the ambient sounds.
Plus, I can't imagine being a hot rubber suit with all those explosions going on around me.

Though my favorite Godzilla knock off is bobcat goldthwait in the Godzilla suite trashing a condo model.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uuIVn5c ··· IVn5cq5U

--

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
hehe - nice find

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
»blastr.com/2012/12/artist-reveal ··· stru.php

Concept art of what maybe a scene in the film.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Snakeoil
I worked for TRU when Godzilla's horrendous redo was done. I remember getting the boxes in for the toys, with the whole "hush hush! Don't open until movie date!" nonsense. We opened them, and just laughed at how horrible it looked. "This movie is gonna suck."

To this day, I haven't seen that remake.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Of course I also love movies like Independence Day, Again cheesy as hell but good fun.

As a kid, I didn't think too much except I enjoyed Godzilla period. As an adult now, I have noticed the strings and the cheesiness but I still enjoy the Godzilla movies .

I still enjoy watching Independence Day to this day. My favorite is the President (Bill Pullman) giving a speech about Independence Day is not just an American Holiday but a day to be remembered as avoiding annihilation.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Slowly, and eventually:

»screenrant.com/independence-day- ··· ever-3d/

Independence day 2 and 3.

»www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ··· e-346511

That link hints at a possible Stargate return.
I thought Stargate was ok, but I loved Farscape and Serenity. Now if either or both of those two were to go to/return to the big screen, damn, I would be so happy.